2017-18 Season ... Who are the top teams in each league ?

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Re: 2017-18 Season ... Who are the top teams in each league ?

Post by Ukfanatic »

Thanks for the update Dani. Did Waverly make it?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... an excellent day spent at Unioto watching some quality basketball teams show what they have coming back for the 2017-18 season - I walked into the HS gym at the U this morning meeting up with Coach Hoops - I told Coach that it was great to hear the sounds - of course he wasn't sure what I was talking about - I explained that it was great to hear the sounds of the squeaking shoes and basketballs hitting the floor ... makes me feel right at home, makes me feel that I'm right where I should be ...

... I went to the U with a purpose - I already KNEW what each of the teams had returning , I already have Unioto , Fairfield Union, Vinton County & Fairland in the upper 10 of my Pre-Season rankings ... what I needed was answers to "How will Vinton County be without the services of a true PG ? How will Coach Combs replace Tristan Bartoe ? What does Waverly have this season? Will the Tigers try to turn every game into a track meet? Have the boys from Fairland improved after their Final 4 appearance of this past Spring? Is FU still THE team to beat in the MSL ? Do the Shermans have a chance to have players beyond their 4 scorers from last season? ... See!!! I can't JUST watch the game of basketball! I have to dissect teams & players when I sit in the cheap seats (smh) ...

Vinton County? How do you replace a Tristan Bartoe? - the obvious answer is "you don't" - you can't fill those shoes and go on with "business as usual" ... and from what I saw today Coach Combs & his staff aren't going that route at ... I took away from the scrimmages at the U for VC - this is Naylan Yate's team ... Naylan Yates IS outstanding - he has unlimited range, as quick as anyone in SEOhio, gets to the rim ... he's going to need help offensively - the perimeter scoring from what I saw will be there ... VC will miss the player who can handle the ball and get to the rim whenever they want kind of PG aka a T. Bartoe ... a player who CAN fill part of that "list of needs" is Jake Speakman - J Speakman IS quick enough to get to the rim - he will need to be MORE offensive minded this season from the perimeter ... today the offense looked to be set up with getting the Viking shooters THEIR shots - perimeter shots ... last year's VC squad was a parade of guards relentlessly taking the ball into the lane - this year ? we'll see who develops into the PG that can get to the rim/knockdown the 3 and distribute the ball while playing D & beating the press ... sounds like a 5 man job called TEAM to me ... Vinton County IS in my top 8 in the preseason ...

Waverly ? ... I was pleasantly surprised by what Coach Robertson will be putting on the floor this season ... very athletic, good size, strong with the ball ... an overall good perimeter shooting team with players who can get to the rim ... depth might be an issue but the Tigers will be just fine on the hardwood again this coming season ...

Fairland ? ... the Dragons of Coach Speed & Coach Salyers ? Isaiah Howell, Ty Staten, Luke Thomas,Kollin Van Horn, Gunner Short, Keedrick Cunningham - I don't have to say more other than D3 Final 4 last season ... the Dragons had NO seniors on the Final 4 team from last season ... I was kidding when I told Ty Staten today that today's performance determined whether Fairland would be #1 or #2 on my pre-season rankings LOL ... I was talking with Ty Staten's dad while watching FHS playing FU & Waverly - it was pleasure to meet you Chris Staten and your son Ty ... I mentioned some of the things that make Fairland such a tough matchup - size, speed, defensively quick, look to score in transition & have the players to finish in transition , multiple perimeter scorers, guards who can penetrate - score & dish , throw in a legitimate BIG MAN in the middle in Mr. Van Horn - Kollin Van Horn makes FHS so much better offensively AND DEFENSIVELY as the perimeter folks can get into passing lanes without worrying as much about being out of position ... no weaknesses in the Dragons ... probably the biggest hurdle for the Green & White will be jumping up to D2 in the post season ... by the way surprise Fairland IS my #1 ...

Fairfield Union ? ... Coach Eversole's Falcons stack up as the 2nd most complete TEAM that I saw today and WILL debut as my #2 in the preseason rankings ... Colin Woodside, Lucas Thompson, Evan Conley, Spencer Conrad, Huston Harrah,Brad Miller, Bradey Lounsebury - speed on the perimeter, Big Man in the Middle, guards who can handle pressure, guards who can get into the paint & finish, scoring on the perimeter ... hmmmmm sounds familiar ... I'm a big fan of Colin Woodside as a true post player for the Falcons ...having Evan Conley for all 22 regular season games this season is huge - the Jr. PG is the real deal ... FU at #2 in the preseason Elite 8 ...

Unioto ? Coach Hoops has the luxury of having his top 4 scorers returning from last season's 18-6 squad - Logan Swackhammer, Brandon Kennedy, Gabe Fisher, Peyton Hill ... all looked solid in today's scrimmages ... Quality PG - check, Perimeter scoring - check, inside strength - check, quick defensively - check, varsity experience - check , big game experience & success - check, physical strength - check ... the question mark for the Shermans will be depth or more specifically varsity experience /role players who can give good minutes and bench points ... the athleticism IS there it will be interesting to see where these potential role players stand/fit in when December rolls around ... the U WILL be in my top 5 to start the season in December ...

... wow, the room at the top of the Elite 8 preseason is pretty crowded already ! with 4 of my top 8 teams already accounted for in today's Unioto Shootout ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Good run down floyd . There are alot of good teams in SEO and I'm sure there will be some surprises . Are you going to the OU Team camp this weekend ?
There should be some heavy hitters from around the state . Maybe some of your elite will match up with some teams they normally do not see. You did not say much about the defensive play except for Fairland. Are your Elite Teams quick to the ball , do they switch smoothly , do they help defensively , do they use a 2 man trap , do they disguise their defense and dictate the pace of the game ? Maybe I will run into you at the CONVO. Thanks again for the info.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:46 pm ... an excellent day spent at Unioto watching some quality basketball teams show what they have coming back for the 2017-18 season - I walked into the HS gym at the U this morning meeting up with Coach Hoops - I told Coach that it was great to hear the sounds - of course he wasn't sure what I was talking about - I explained that it was great to hear the sounds of the squeaking shoes and basketballs hitting the floor ... makes me feel right at home, makes me feel that I'm right where I should be ...

... I went to the U with a purpose - I already KNEW what each of the teams had returning , I already have Unioto , Fairfield Union, Vinton County & Fairland in the upper 10 of my Pre-Season rankings ... what I needed was answers to "How will Vinton County be without the services of a true PG ? How will Coach Combs replace Tristan Bartoe ? What does Waverly have this season? Will the Tigers try to turn every game into a track meet? Have the boys from Fairland improved after their Final 4 appearance of this past Spring? Is FU still THE team to beat in the MSL ? Do the Shermans have a chance to have players beyond their 4 scorers from last season? ... See!!! I can't JUST watch the game of basketball! I have to dissect teams & players when I sit in the cheap seats (smh) ...

Vinton County? How do you replace a Tristan Bartoe? - the obvious answer is "you don't" - you can't fill those shoes and go on with "business as usual" ... and from what I saw today Coach Combs & his staff aren't going that route at ... I took away from the scrimmages at the U for VC - this is Naylan Yate's team ... Naylan Yates IS outstanding - he has unlimited range, as quick as anyone in SEOhio, gets to the rim ... he's going to need help offensively - the perimeter scoring from what I saw will be there ... VC will miss the player who can handle the ball and get to the rim whenever they want kind of PG aka a T. Bartoe ... a player who CAN fill part of that "list of needs" is Jake Speakman - J Speakman IS quick enough to get to the rim - he will need to be MORE offensive minded this season from the perimeter ... today the offense looked to be set up with getting the Viking shooters THEIR shots - perimeter shots ... last year's VC squad was a parade of guards relentlessly taking the ball into the lane - this year ? we'll see who develops into the PG that can get to the rim/knockdown the 3 and distribute the ball while playing D & beating the press ... sounds like a 5 man job called TEAM to me ... Vinton County IS in my top 8 in the preseason ...

Waverly ? ... I was pleasantly surprised by what Coach Robertson will be putting on the floor this season ... very athletic, good size, strong with the ball ... an overall good perimeter shooting team with players who can get to the rim ... depth might be an issue but the Tigers will be just fine on the hardwood again this coming season ...

Fairland ? ... the Dragons of Coach Speed & Coach Salyers ? Isaiah Howell, Ty Staten, Luke Thomas,Kollin Van Horn, Gunner Short, Keedrick Cunningham - I don't have to say more other than D3 Final 4 last season ... the Dragons had NO seniors on the Final 4 team from last season ... I was kidding when I told Ty Staten today that today's performance determined whether Fairland would be #1 or #2 on my pre-season rankings LOL ... I was talking with Ty Staten's dad while watching FHS playing FU & Waverly - it was pleasure to meet you Chris Staten and your son Ty ... I mentioned some of the things that make Fairland such a tough matchup - size, speed, defensively quick, look to score in transition & have the players to finish in transition , multiple perimeter scorers, guards who can penetrate - score & dish , throw in a legitimate BIG MAN in the middle in Mr. Van Horn - Kollin Van Horn makes FHS so much better offensively AND DEFENSIVELY as the perimeter folks can get into passing lanes without worrying as much about being out of position ... no weaknesses in the Dragons ... probably the biggest hurdle for the Green & White will be jumping up to D2 in the post season ... by the way surprise Fairland IS my #1 ...

Fairfield Union ? ... Coach Eversole's Falcons stack up as the 2nd most complete TEAM that I saw today and WILL debut as my #2 in the preseason rankings ... Colin Woodside, Lucas Thompson, Evan Conley, Spencer Conrad, Huston Harrah,Brad Miller, Bradey Lounsebury - speed on the perimeter, Big Man in the Middle, guards who can handle pressure, guards who can get into the paint & finish, scoring on the perimeter ... hmmmmm sounds familiar ... I'm a big fan of Colin Woodside as a true post player for the Falcons ...having Evan Conley for all 22 regular season games this season is huge - the Jr. PG is the real deal ... FU at #2 in the preseason Elite 8 ...

Unioto ? Coach Hoops has the luxury of having his top 4 scorers returning from last season's 18-6 squad - Logan Swackhammer, Brandon Kennedy, Gabe Fisher, Peyton Hill ... all looked solid in today's scrimmages ... Quality PG - check, Perimeter scoring - check, inside strength - check, quick defensively - check, varsity experience - check , big game experience & success - check, physical strength - check ... the question mark for the Shermans will be depth or more specifically varsity experience /role players who can give good minutes and bench points ... the athleticism IS there it will be interesting to see where these potential role players stand/fit in when December rolls around ... the U WILL be in my top 5 to start the season in December ...

... wow, the room at the top of the Elite 8 preseason is pretty crowded already ! with 4 of my top 8 teams already accounted for in today's Unioto Shootout ...
Division II will once again be a bear. It'll be interesting to see how the sectionals are aligned with the additions of Fairland, Westfall and Zane Trace and the departures of Chillicothe and Meigs from D2. Fairland isn't an easy fit in either sectional.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto is 9-3 through 2 days at OU. Losses against Copley, Miamisburg, and Eastmoor Academy. Local teams they have played are Logan, Newark Catholic, Fed Hocking, Wellston, and Portsmouth.

They are playing without 3 rotation players for next season, including 4 Year PG Logan Swackhammer. Swack was there for Friday night against NC, Copley, Newton Falls, and Hardin Northern. Really good experience is being gained for some of the guys who didn't get a lot of PT last year.

Edit: Finished 12-4 during full games and 13-5 overall. Very good weekend for the Shermans to come together as a team.
Last edited by danicalifornia on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Enjoyable day at the Convo for the OU Team camp . Soon found that the Convo was the place to be ( Seating ) . Saw a number of good teams . Saw a number of good players but will not name any for this is a shootout with 1 16 min running clock and there was a lot of substituting. Saw some very close games with a couple sudden death overtime . Appears some coaches know what they have and played a lot of players with different combinations . Not a bad idea if you as a coach feel the need . Saw some good HOOPS . Saw a lot of different styles . Some teams have to play physical because they lack skills otherwise to compete . Not much officiating and I'm sure because of time restraints. Saw teams inter acting between games and that was good . SEO people be proud of your teams they are working hard . Did see Federal Hocking play under their new head coach . Lots of work to be done but make no mistake they play hard and they appear wanting to learn. Good luck to all the teams !

Lovebball42
Freshman Team

Post by Lovebball42 »

I heard Waterford will play Fairland this year.. can anyone confirm that?

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Waterford is not listed on Fairland's current schedule. No opponent is listed for the following:
  • Southern Hills Classic
  • Big E Classic
  • Beast of the Southeast
  • Flying to the Hoop

Post by Truth&fiction »

Back to the Convo yesterday wanted especially to see Copely and Eastmoor. If its like last year that Eastmoor comes back to The Convo for Reg. they will be a handful . Saw some other good games and some 5 min . overtime tourney. Good HOOPS !!

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Heard eastmoor beat Fu in the finals??

Eastmoor will probably be top 3 in first state pool and a state title contender. They're gonna be very very good.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

They like to Run and gun . They are good enough if they make a mistake they can recover. They do not seem like a patient team so if IIIIIIIIIIII was coaching against them I would slow the game down and make them play half court defense , but what do I know ? They are good with speed and quickness and that is something that will be hard to match from the SE.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

In the regional game vs FU, their patience was something I thought was fantastic. They waited and got great great shots. I was very impressed with them.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Falcon01 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:16 pm In the regional game vs FU, their patience was something I thought was fantastic. They waited and got great great shots. I was very impressed with them.
The 2 games I saw them their pace was probably due to the 16 min . Running clock . They may have been working on some new stuff by pushing the ball . I did not see last year Reg against FU . The work in a 4 quarter game would surely give you a better judgement. Thanks Falcon 01 I may have spoken on limited observation .

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Truth&fiction wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:25 am
Falcon01 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:16 pm In the regional game vs FU, their patience was something I thought was fantastic. They waited and got great great shots. I was very impressed with them.
The 2 games I saw them their pace was probably due to the 16 min . Running clock . They may have been working on some new stuff by pushing the ball . I did not see last year Reg against FU . The work in a 4 quarter game would surely give you a better judgement. Thanks Falcon 01 I may have spoken on limited observation .
They still played fast, and pressed like crazy, but once in the half court they did a great job of getting the shot they wanted. You're probably spot on though that in a 16 minute game they probably just wanted to attack at all times.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Falcon01 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:14 pm Heard eastmoor beat Fu in the finals??

Eastmoor will probably be top 3 in first state pool and a state title contender. They're gonna be very very good.
Eastmoor vs Fairland should a great regional Finals game. Winner gets God. Akron SVSM or Cleveland VASJ

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Raider6309 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:33 pm
Falcon01 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:14 pm Heard eastmoor beat Fu in the finals??

Eastmoor vs Fairland should a great regional Finals game. Winner gets God. Akron SVSM or Cleveland VASJ
Eastmoor is heading elsewhere. 2 SE and 2 East Districts this year...Thank God lol

Waboplay
Riding the Bench

Post by Waboplay »

Other than top 4 players for Unioto. Who's 5-7 playing?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Danicalifornia: Portsmouth did not play in the OU shootout nor did they play Unioto in any other shootout. Portsmouth and Unioto both played in the Shawnee State shootout in early June, but did not play each other. I watched some of the Shermans playing Columbus South. At one point in the game it was 24-17 South. The Shermans, though, looked to have some talented kids.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Waboplay wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:11 pm Other than top 4 players for Unioto. Who's 5-7 playing?
Sr Nick Adkins, Jrs Chance Smith and Justin Manson, Soph Cade McKee. That was at OU, there were a couple of juniors and freshmen that weren't there that could break into the rotation.

TrojanDave- I was just going based on the schedule I saw that must have been shorthand for another Portsmouth at OU. My bad.

route7
Freshman Team

Post by route7 »

Reedsville eastern will suck until they get a new coach. Current coach has stripped the program of its pride and identity.

Return to “Boys Basketball”