2017-18 Season ... Who are the top teams in each league ?

football life
Freshman Team

Re: 2017-18 Season ... Who are the top teams in each league ?

Post by football life »

bman wrote:MSL - Fairfield Union is clear cut favorite with players like Colin Woodside, Lucas Thompson and Evan Conley back. Bloom-Carroll suffered some big losses to graduation, but believe they'll be competitive...Logan Elm will frankly be in a rebuilding season, but has some promising classes coming up including next year's freshmen....Teays Valley has wing Ryan Wolfe back, but loses the rest of its starters and has some questions coming into next season...Circleville should have some decent pieces back, but needs to improve a lot on defense and find a point guard...Amanda should continue to improve, but looks to be a middle-of-the-pack team.

FAC...aka Confederate Five plus Jackson - Miami Trace loses a ton of seniors, but still returns guard Cameron Carter and forward Darby Tyree. Expect to be around .500 or maybe a little better. Court House returns Evan Upthegrove, Richard Burns and Dillon Steward. Coach Bartruff does a nice job with those guys. I'd say they should be competitive, .500 or maybe a little better. Chillicothe would be my preseason league favorite, led by Branden Maughmer, but a potential move to D1 will really hurt come tournament time. We have some posters from FAC country who can probably fill in some information.

A wild card from my area could by Circleville New Hope Christian, which is supposed to be going into OHSAA this upcoming season. It'll be interesting to see if they are put in the Central or Southeast in Division IV. New Hope won the OCSAA championship this past season. New Hope will be an independent.
great report! I heard the hoopla of LE's incoming freshman class! Pal had grandson on team so I made several games! What a treat! some exciting basketball coming from those youngins. forty years of following basketball I have never seen a more athletic team at that age. basketball smarts through the roof and a defense that would make someone pee in their shorts. size is an issue but the aggressive play and great shooting made up for it ten full. nice mix of dribble drive and shooters. with what is in the system could probably see 5 freshman sitting on stiversons varsity bench. some will get more minutes but with that early experience, WATCH OUT when those kids are sophs/jr's

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I will be shocked if Loveday stays at Gallia Academy for 4 years. But i will be even more surprised if he is not back at Gallia Academy next year. He is a great kid and right now just really enjoying being a kid. I have been wrong plenty of times before and may be this time, but i would be very surprised.

But if he does leave it would change the blue devils a lot. But the Blue devils would still have a lot coming back and have a lot of JV kids that will be pushing for playing time. I think there might be several transfers if it was just for basketball. There are several kids that were in this years sophomore class that may never see any varsity time on this team. But could play on other teams in the county. If loveday would leave it would really change the Blue Devils style of play as i think the varsity would begin to press as much as the JV and freshmen teams did this year. With or without Loveday this team is better then middle of the pack next year.

Next year will come down to what it was always going to come down to any way and that is Justin Peck and how hard he works in the off season. If he would really get into basketball shape there are not many people in southeastern ohio that could guard him.. But how hard he works is a choice for him to make. The 6-4 or 6-5 carter kid will also be pushing for more playing time.

Sniper_Fan
Waterboy

Post by Sniper_Fan »

IF and only IF, the Nelsonville York Buckeyes can coax Blaine Gabriel and Jeff Skinner out of retirement, then they could be the class of the TVC for this year and many years to come. Skinner was the king of developing athletes for the next level at Athens and Gabriel was like a chess master with the X's and O's in his years at Alexander with some years having subpar talent. There is a sleeping giant in Buchtel that Gabriel and Skinner would awaken. I am so excited for the future there!

chickenlegs
Waterboy

Post by chickenlegs »

The TVC Ohio Division is heating up. If the NY Buckeyes can get Gabriel and Skinner to coach it would create amazing excitement. They are very skilled. Athens already has the Federal Hocking legend class coaching. They miss the fan base and support of the Skinner era but hopes this year rests with Cozart an All Conference player and a supporting cast. Meigs is rising and Vinton is the team to beat....Supposedly Athens gets a six foot four inch guard moving in from Boston Mass with his parents because of a work related situation.

albany
Waterboy

Post by albany »

Great hire by Nelsonville. Vinton and Meigs players are looking good in spring travel team ball. Athens has a few players in AAU and a few on the local travel team ball. For Athens and Nelsonville football is the key sport where teams have playoff aspirations, so basketball is kind of the second spot.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Burg getting a fine freshman and a couple others?

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

Meigs drops to d3, could be interesting.

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:59 pm Burg getting a fine freshman and a couple others?

Burg did recruit one good freshman in! Another from SW went too; but he might make freshman team at best. I think that one actually moved into district he may not even play basketball.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

The SOC I runs through Beaver, Clay I believe lost a lot also East lost three of their starting 5 in Brown, Lowe, and Scott who is graduating early to attend Ole Miss.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... The committee of one - me - is working on Pfloyd's Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason Edition ... with the Cavs loss the committee has time this week to study the Napkin Stats from this past season and come up with rankings that will be sure to please some, ruffle the feathers of others and have still more shaking their heads - no matter which team you support the early Summer release will have hoops fans Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line debating through the Summer months leading up to Football season in SEOhio ...

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Logan looking pretty good in their two shootouts they've played. They've gone 5-1 and only lost to Newark in a game they hung in for a long time.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto has been solid so far. Only losing to City League teams, but were still competitive, which is a good sign.

Getting better defensively to go with what should be a dynamic offense. Returning the top 4 scorers from last year. Finding a good mix for depth will be key, the top 6 in the rotation is going to be very good, just finding 7-8-9 is big. Should be another fun year in Frenchtown for the Sherman Tanks.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... it looks like the committee of one will not be putting out the PreSeason Elite 8 until after next Wednesday 6/21 ... Unioto is having it's Super Shootout that day at the HS & Junior High Gyms - a great lineup of teams !!! :

Unioto
Dayton Northridge
Vinton County
South
Chillicothe
Dunbar
Fairland
Fairfield Union

... looks like my SEOhio "elite" teams on my Short List are all playing - Unioto who returns their 4 top scorers . Vinton County with Naylan Yates & Co., Chillicothe with Brandon Maughmer & Co. , D3 Final 4 squad Fairland who returns their entire starting 5 , Fairfield Union who is the odds on favorite to win the MSL again this season led by Cincinnati University bound Colin Woodside ...

ALL of these teams will be in my top 15 Preseason rankings ... going to be a fun day of hoops on the 21st ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:29 pm ... it looks like the committee of one will not be putting out the PreSeason Elite 8 until after next Wednesday 6/21 ... Unioto is having it's Super Shootout that day at the HS & Junior High Gyms - a great lineup of teams !!! :

Unioto
Dayton Northridge
Vinton County
South
Chillicothe
Dunbar
Fairland
Fairfield Union

... looks like my SEOhio "elite" teams on my Short List are all playing - Unioto who returns their 4 top scorers . Vinton County with Naylan Yates & Co., Chillicothe with Brandon Maughmer & Co. , D3 Final 4 squad Fairland who returns their entire starting 5 , Fairfield Union who is the odds on favorite to win the MSL again this season led by Cincinnati University bound Colin Woodside ...

ALL of these teams will be in my top 15 Preseason rankings ... going to be a fun day of hoops on the 21st ...
This will be a great summer day of hoops. Good teams . What's the Format and is there a schedule posted ?

Preacher Purl
Riding the Bench

Post by Preacher Purl »

I was told Hillsboro beat Unioto last weekend. I don't think they're a city league team.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Preacher Purl wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:02 pm I was told Hillsboro beat Unioto last weekend. I don't think they're a city league team.
Eh, may have. That wasn't one of the teams I was told, I was told that Hillsboro was much improved though.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Super Shootout today at Unioto 9-3'ish ... hopefully most of each teams roster is there today ...

IronTough2
Riding the Bench

Post by IronTough2 »

Yes. At the Hillsboro shootout, Hillsboro beat Unioto. Came down to the wire and ended up a last shot situation. Physical ball game.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Didn't get to come today. Any updates!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

A couple teams didn't make it, so 6 schools and they each got 7 games in.

Unioto went 4-3, lost to Fairfield Union, Fairland, and Cols South by a combined 7 points. Sounds like the teams got a lot of work in.

Return to “Boys Basketball”