2018 Division Breakdowns

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Re: 2018 Division Breakdowns

Post by Truth&fiction »

If they are truly looking out for the Student Athlete it would be a no brainer . If they have their own Agenda you could be right . ALL SCHOOLS MATTER!

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

If OHSAA decided to add divisions, especially to split up the top of D1 into a division, here's an idea that could be looked at. Here's what I think the current divisional breakdown looks like and then my proposed idea. Also worth noting the winter sports division breakdowns come out tomorrow.

Current Divisional Breakdown
1-100 Teams - 1 Division
Girls Field Hockey
Girls Gymnastics
Ice Hockey

101-400 Teams - 2 Divisions
Boys and Girls Bowling
Girls Golf
Boys and Girls Lacrosse
Boys and Girls Swimming & Diving
Boys and Girls Tennis

401-700 Teams - 3 Divisions
Boys and Girls Cross Country
Boys Golf
Boys and Girls Soccer
Boys and Girls Track & Field
Team and Individual Wrestling

701-800 Teams - 4 Divisions
(Uses Competitive Balance)

Baseball
Boys and Girls Basketball
Softball
Volleyball

Football - 7 Divisions
(Uses Competitive Balance/Top 10% Largest Enrollment for D1)

Proposed Divisional Breakdown
1-100 Teams - 1 Division
Girls Field Hockey
Girls Gymnastics
Ice Hockey

101-300 Teams - 2 Divisions
Boys and Girls Lacrosse

301-500 Teams - 3 Divisions
Boys and Girls Bowling
Girls Golf
Boys and Girls Tennis

501-700 Teams - 4 Divisions
Boys Golf
Boys and Girls Soccer

701-800 Teams - 5 Divisions
(Uses Competitive Balance/Top 12% Largest Enrollment for D1)

Baseball
Softball
Volleyball

Football - 7 Divisions

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

GoBucks1047 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:40 pm If OHSAA decided to add divisions, especially to split up the top of D1 into a division, here's an idea that could be looked at. Here's what I think the current divisional breakdown looks like and then my proposed idea. Also worth noting the winter sports division breakdowns come out tomorrow.

Current Divisional Breakdown
1-100 Teams - 1 Division
Girls Field Hockey
Girls Gymnastics
Ice Hockey

101-400 Teams - 2 Divisions
Boys and Girls Bowling
Girls Golf
Boys and Girls Lacrosse
Boys and Girls Tennis

401-700 Teams - 3 Divisions
Boys Golf
Boys and Girls Soccer

701-800 Teams - 4 Divisions
(Uses Competitive Balance)

Baseball
Softball
Volleyball

Football - 7 Divisions

Proposed Divisional Breakdown
1-100 Teams - 1 Division
Girls Field Hockey
Girls Gymnastics
Ice Hockey

101-300 Teams - 2 Divisions
Boys and Girls Lacrosse

301-500 Teams - 3 Divisions
Boys and Girls Bowling
Girls Golf
Boys and Girls Tennis

501-700 Teams - 4 Divisions
Boys Golf
Boys and Girls Soccer

701-800 Teams - 5 Divisions
(Uses Competitive Balance/Top 12% Largest Enrollment for D1)

Baseball
Softball
Volleyball

Football - 7 Divisions
Good break down . Can we get some more push for this ? Competitive Balance would be as good as possible and nothing less with 5 Div in Basketball ,Baseball ,softball and Volleyball. Track expanded to 4 would add volumes to Ohio High School sports.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

The press release will be coming about 1 PM for the divisional breakdown.

Although, I'd much rather talk hypotheticals instead of seeing the inside the box solutions that the OHSAA will provide us with.

Edit: although they said June 6 as of last week, apparently they sent out something to the media yesterday saying that Winter sports wouldn't be announced until Thursday. What makes this even better is that they clearly had it figured out on June 1.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Probably seen this topic and was like, let's give them some suspense and pushing the release back a couple days :P :lol:

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

GoBucks1047 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:20 pm Probably seen this topic and was like, let's give them some suspense and pushing the release back a couple days :P :lol:
I doubt they will listen to this Forum but maybe they should .

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

2017-18 Boys Basketball Divisional Assignments are posted.

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/boysbasketball/2018

Post by tvc_fan »

Sweet Meigs dropped to d3...Pretty excited about that.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Chillicothe to D1

Fairland, Westfall, Zane Trace to D2

Eastern Pike, Meigs, and Western to D3

I think that is all of the changes for the SE District.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

I think Western to D3 was the biggest surprise in our area.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Dawson-Bryant (Coal Grove) down to D4. Belpre just missed moving up to D3 by a couple boys.

SEODAB school breakdown by divisions
D1 - 2 schools (to Central)
D2 - 20 schools
D3 - 28 schools
D4 - 21 schools
Last edited by GoBucks1047 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

And the page went down...

Edit: Page is back up!
Last edited by GoBucks1047 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

For especially Chillicothe and Fairland, the bump up is not the most welcome news. It will be much tougher to advance in the tournament for the Cavaliers in D1 and Dragons in D2. With FHS going up to D2, schools like Oak Hill, Portsmouth, Wheelersburg, and Ironton all could benefit from this shift in power. It's still very possible for the Dragons (all 5 starters back) to make the regional, but winning the district will be tougher with schools like Warren, Fairfield Union, Unioto, and Vinton County traditionally in the mix for that district title. Winning the regional most likely would mean a matchup with a Central District school, in which the SE district has had a dismal record against them the past half decade.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

trojandave wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:58 pm For especially Chillicothe and Fairland, the bump up is not the most welcome news. It will be much tougher to advance in the tournament for the Cavaliers in D1 and Dragons in D2. With FHS going up to D2, schools like Oak Hill, Portsmouth, Wheelersburg, and Ironton all could benefit from this shift in power. It's still very possible for the Dragons (all 5 starters back) to make the regional, but winning the district will be tougher with schools like Warren, Fairfield Union, Unioto, and Vinton County traditionally in the mix for that district title. Winning the regional most likely would mean a matchup with a Central District school, in which the SE district has had a dismal record against them the past half decade.
D2 Regionals will be tough in Athens. Eastmoor, Fairfield Union, and Fairland bring back everything. Winner gets SVSM

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Looking at the numbers, there's already the potential in D3 that Southeast could be paired with Central (2 districts-2 districts) while the East would be paired with the Northeast (1 district-3 districts).

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

am I reading this right? Wellington, Harvest Prep, Afrocentric, Newark catholic all coming to d3? doesnt sound good for my pirates. sounds like a good time to be in d4 though thats crazy

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

burgpirater wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:53 pm am I reading this right? Wellington, Harvest Prep, Afrocentric, Newark catholic all coming to d3? doesnt sound good for my pirates. sounds like a good time to be in d4 though thats crazy
I follow Southeast Ohio a little but I have connections in Central Ohio, specifically around some D3 and D4 schools, so I tend to follow them a little closer than most. You are spot on about things about to get intense in D3. D4 was impossible to navigate for smaller schools, but that seems to have shifted to D3 with the new CB in place. Here are some noteworthy changes in the Central District (D4 is 127 and below):

- Centerburg (19-8 last year) is squeaking into to D4 with 126.
- Poor East Knox who only won a few games last year got bumped to D3 by hitting the minimum of 128.
- Typically powerful D4 private schools jumping to D3 are Africentric (152), Wellington (157), Newark Catholic (131), and Harvest Prep (193 with a whopping 120 CB addition).

After a quick check, no school in the state jumps two divisions. Harvest Prep has to be the closest at going from the 13th smallest Central District school last year based on enrollment, to now the 36th smallest simply by adding to Competitive Balance multiplier. HP went from being 45 boys below the Division 4 cutoff last year to only missing the Division 2 cutoff by 18 this year. And there's no recruiting there...

Division 4 in Central District will finally open up with the removal of Africentric, Wellington, Harvest Prep, and Newark Catholic, who have represented the D4 in Regionals in 8 of the last 9 years (if my 5 minute research is correct).

That also means that D3 will get much more difficult, which is a contrast from it's relatively light pool of participants in recent years. The numbers for D3 are 128-210. Additionally:

- D2 District runner-up Heath (201) and Johnstown (204) both drop to D3, which in itself immediately makes D3 a much tougher tougher and deeper district.
- To serve as some balance, D2 Amanda Clearcreek (210) and Horizon Science Academy (200).

First round games in this District for D3 could get ugly, but it should be pretty entertaining as the District tournament progresses. I'm not too familiar with other districts, but does any other areas/divisions have this much change?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Fairland will quickly learn the D2 southeast district is pretty darn tough ... and lets not talk about regionals. Big difference between Eastmoor and Garaway.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I just hope D2 gets 2 teams to the Regionals this year. This would be an insane set of Sectional Finals if not.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

This is how I see the breakdown of Logan and Southeastern going now

Logan:

Athens
Circleville (new)
Fairfield Union
Logan Elm
Marietta
New Lexington
Sheridan
Vinson County
Warren
Westfall or Zane Trace (either would be new)

Southeastern:

Fairland (new)
Gallup Academy
Hillsboro
Jackson
McClain
Miami Trace
Unioto
Washington
Waverly
Westfall or Zane Trace (either new)

Zane Trace is closer to Southeastern than Logan and closer to both than Westfall. However, Westfall could just be lumped in with their Pickaway County brothers and go towards Logan...or they could use US 23 as a dividing line and have ZT go to Logan instead of the more Western Westfall. Heck, they could have fun and move VC to Southeastern and both Westfall and ZT to Logan lol.

No matter what, Fairland has an absolute haul.

Return to “Boys Basketball”