Coaching Vacancies

Snotnose
Riding the Bench

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by Snotnose »

That would be a great hire if they could pull him away from the girls side, especially this late in the process.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Awesome for Slaughter, but awesome for Cambridge ? His 4th job in 6th year ? Good luck to all schools searching for the next coach who can turn their programs around. It's getting harder and harder. It's become a crap shoot now .

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Congratulation to all the new coaches . I 'm sure all were hired in the best interest of their schools and screened as such . Congratulation to the all in the hiring process . Good luck in your preparation ( Summer workouts and Camps). Some advice to the new coaches would be 1. Be your own coach. Final decisions are yours and reflects the best interest of your team . Talk to your AD and setup a line of communication to stay on top of any harmful situation .2. Build trust with players and work on weakness with in your program .3 Build a QUALITY STAFF that will see your goals and style and adds strength to your team . Do not have a parent coach on staff as it adds tension and favoritism .4. Communicate with community so they know you are vested and keep your players involved with community through assisting with events . Like I SAID GOOD LUCK TO ALL and have SAFE SUMMER.

screamineagle
Waterboy

Post by screamineagle »

FannyPack wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 9:36 am Just keep bringing back the old guys who don't have it and can't relate to kids anymore, it'll work, I promise!
Sounds like Eastern Meigs. Can't relate to the kids and no one likes him. Was at senior night this year and a lot of seniors thanked all the other coaches and didn't mention him once! Thought it was hilarious because the guy is a jerk :lol: Someone get him outta here!!

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

Snotnose wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 8:48 pm That would be a great hire if they could pull him away from the girls side, especially this late in the process.
I heard this weekend that a long time Piketon assistant was in the running for the Huntington spot. If it is the same guy I am thinking of, I think it has potential to be a pretty good fit.

Racine Tornado
Waterboy

Post by Racine Tornado »

I've heard a lot of bad things about Coach Hill at Eastern. Can't believe what he does to those kids. He's Southern guy and we can't believe how he acts and he coaches. No wonder none of he kids like him. Thank God he's not at Southern still or Meigs. As long as he is there, you won't even see a sectional title for the eagles

Charlie hustle
Freshman Team

Post by Charlie hustle »

What things has coach hill at eastern done that's so bad. From what I have seen his tenure at eastern hasn't been to bad considering the talent that he was dealt when taking the job?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Shawn Brown has taken the job at Fisher.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Truth : You made some wonderful points ! I would disagree, if you think for 1 minute some of these administrations/boards really have a clue on their hirings , you are mistaken . Not saying they don't try, but many don't get it . There's a reason for so much unstablity and so much turnover in high school sports ! Agree , good luck to all !

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

High, Point well taken but let me say that I think most schools have a process in place or should have that searches out for the the best person AVAILABLE . Let me back up and say I am not in anyway a part of any school ( Admin, AD, Teacher, SB member,coach or player) . I am a tax payer that tries to sort out if my tax dollars are spent the right way. I question some things but I do that to whom can get me the answers . Now back to subject, my point was to give support to the new coaches and some advice and I was trying be positive . Let me say again good luck to the new coaches with your new program . Now to your thought on the hiring process I would ask you ( respectfully ) how would you do it ? I would also like to know ( respectfully ) if you have an issue with your particular school and if they have a process in place that could be improved . I have found over the years that change is hard for some people to accept but change is sometimes needed and most times the reasons are not obvious to the public. We have the right to question but I prefer to find out the correct answer and go on with other things . Thanks for your response .

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Folks, the days of schools being able to pay a coach to be a study hall monitor, or some other teaching paying position with very little responsibilities is long gone! Are there schools that still do this in southeast Ohio, yes, but they are few and far between. Most schools are operating on a bare bone budget, so all hires are essential personnel. Also, how many coaches today are teachers, they are fewer for the reasons I stated.

eaglekid14
Waterboy

Post by eaglekid14 »

Charlie hustle wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 12:24 pm What things has coach hill at eastern done that's so bad. From what I have seen his tenure at eastern hasn't been to bad considering the talent that he was dealt when taking the job?
He is a sarcastic ahole and talks crap on players behind their back. Only a few people know how he really is.

eaglekid14
Waterboy

Post by eaglekid14 »

Racine Tornado wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:43 am I've heard a lot of bad things about Coach Hill at Eastern. Can't believe what he does to those kids. He's Southern guy and we can't believe how he acts and he coaches. No wonder none of he kids like him. Thank God he's not at Southern still or Meigs. As long as he is there, you won't even see a sectional title for the eagles
You are correct. Eastern has talent but coach doesn't let them show it. It's not a "team" thing.

Charlie hustle
Freshman Team

Post by Charlie hustle »

eaglekid14 wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 9:34 am
Charlie hustle wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 12:24 pm What things has coach hill at eastern done that's so bad. From what I have seen his tenure at eastern hasn't been to bad considering the talent that he was dealt when taking the job?
He is a sarcastic ahole and talks crap on players behind their back. Only a few people know how he really is.

I'm not sure what's going on down at eastern I'm just not sold it's the coach... like I said the talent level hasn't been all that great during his tenure kids seem to work hard nothing against that just lack the talent.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Truth: Very good points and perspectives ! Here's my beef . If you were to hire a top welder, mechanic , engineer , technology person .... wouldn't you have an experienced person in that field to help with the hiring process ? In sports , you have a committee of people who have little or no experience in that sport who make decisions on coaches . Thus , some hires and fires are very questionable . That is a huge problem at most high schools . Again , good luck to all schools .

miggyt
Freshman Team

Post by miggyt »

I've heard Eric Snyder over to the boys basketball side for Huntington.

miggyt
Freshman Team

Post by miggyt »

Theburgfan wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 11:42 pm Heard Southeastern Ross is set to hire Rick Strausbaugh as the next coach at this months board meeting.
They did.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

E High wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 12:30 pm Truth: Very good points and perspectives ! Here's my beef . If you were to hire a top welder, mechanic , engineer , technology person .... wouldn't you have an experienced person in that field to help with the hiring process ? In sports , you have a committee of people who have little or no experience in that sport who make decisions on coaches . Thus , some hires and fires are very questionable . That is a huge problem at most high schools . Again , good luck to all schools .
I could seemingly tell that there may be a problem with your school . Most schools ( I have been told ) Post jobs on the State web site and have a number of interest. Some serious and some not . They are sorted by Supt and AD and reduced for interviewing process ( may be to 4 to 8) . Durring the interview a third person , Normally the HS Principal is brought in . At some point 1 to 3 might be brought back in and a more in dept interview . A selection is made and and a recommendation is brought before the SB with the information to why this person should be selected . One thing to remember is that if a recommendation is made and approved is that the selected person might change his mind. This adds time to the process. Now to improve the process this would be my opinion . I would like to see a least one head coach from another sport and possibly at least one Board member with Basketball back ground ( former coach or player) to help thru the initial process . Your AD should be schooled enough to lead the process and make valid points . If your school is not following at least this initial process you have the right to ask why not and make your own opinions known . The days of hiring someone that is not a teacher is almost history . Bottom line is what is your kids doing to get better . When a team get better in High School is has to do alot with the Kids and are they doing their part. So Bottom line yes if you are hiring a Welder , mechanic , engineeer or a technology person you do need some knowledge of the job and Qualification to make sound judgement and that's where your AD SHOULD LEAD. Been in interviews where I have spear headed this and THERE IS SOME SALESMANSHIP involved with getting the job . Hope the best to all going forward and hope most are happy.

ball57
Waterboy

Post by ball57 »

eaglekid14 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 9:40 am
waverlytiger wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 9:40 am
eaglekid14 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 9:36 am someone take easterns job
Why does everyone want a new coach at Eastern?
Coach Skinner would make a great hire though
No one likes the coach here
Before we start bashing the coach let's make it clear that not everyone doesn't like the coach!!! There are a few kids and of course their parents who haven't supported him from day one!!! He has put together a great staff with both Coach Simpsons and Coach Lloyd. I think they would all voice their support for Coach Hill. I find it amazing that the other night at a baseball game I hear Coach Bowen talking to his players in a very crude manner. One of the people I was with even made the comment if that was Coach Hill he would be crucified!!! Fair is fair!!!

ball57
Waterboy

Post by ball57 »

Charlie hustle wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 10:51 am
eaglekid14 wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 9:34 am

I'm not sure what's going on down at eastern I'm just not sold it's the coach... like I said the talent level hasn't been all that great during his tenure kids seem to work hard nothing against that just lack the talent.
Charlie Hustle you are so right!!! What's going on down at Eastern isn't just the coach!!! The talent pool hasn't been the greatest but mom and pop think jr. should be all state! Coach Hill also helps with the girls softball team and hmmmm....haven't heard of any problems there! Be careful what you wish for!!! You might get someone who doesn't care about the kids, won't put the extra time in and won't have the staff Coach Hill does!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”