SOC II baseball

Burg4
JV Team

Re: SOC II baseball

Post by Burg4 »

Burg Bias wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 6:10 pm Burg lost by one run to Greenup Co. in the first matchup. They are scheduled to play again at W-Burg on Monday 5-8.
Wheelersburg 9
Greenup 7
Final

Wheelersburg now 18-5

ALLthatJAZZ
Riding the Bench

Post by ALLthatJAZZ »

I'm not sure who said it earlier in the year but I agree with them..."Burg should stay out of KY" lol
Maybe the Burg is on a different level as well...

Baseball 10
Waterboy

Post by Baseball 10 »

With award votings today, any predictions for the SOC 2 awards?

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

Sure there will be some surprises when released. Already know of one.

Baseball 10
Waterboy

Post by Baseball 10 »

Any idea of when they will be released?

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Final SOC II Standings

Wheelersburg 13-1
Waverly 11-3
Oak Hill 8-6
Minford 7-7
Portsmouth West 6-8
South Webster 5-9
Lucasville Valley 5-9
Northwest 1-13

Pitcher of the Year Kaden Coleman Wheelersburg
Player of the Year Darnell Wheelersburg / Kottenbrook Waverly
Coach of the Year Estep Wheelersburg

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

baseball16 wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 11:39 am Final SOC II Standings

Wheelersburg 13-1
Waverly 11-3
Oak Hill 8-6
Minford 7-7
Portsmouth West 6-8
South Webster 5-9
Lucasville Valley 5-9
Northwest 1-13

Biggest joke I heard about these teams is placing Matthew Gullett from Minford on 2nd team all conference. Led his team in average at .468, hits, 21 RBI, and 13 SB in 17 games, and he played most of the season hurt and even had to miss 4 games.

His stats were equal or better than Eli Daniels last year, and Eli earned conference player of the year, 1st team SOC, 1st team all district, and 1st team all state. Matthew only earned 2nd team all conference and honorable mention all district. Some gratitude coach Hopper.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

minford17 wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Wheelersburg 13-1
Waverly 11-3
Oak Hill 8-6
Minford 7-7
Portsmouth West 6-8
South Webster 5-9
Lucasville Valley 5-9
Northwest 1-13

Biggest joke I heard about these teams is placing Matthew Gullett from Minford on 2nd team all conference. Led his team in average at .468, hits, RBI, and SB, and he played most of the season hurt and even had to miss 4 games.

His stats were equal or better than Eli Daniels last year, and Eli earned conference player of the year, 1st team SOC, 1st team all district, and 1st team all state. Matthew only earned 2nd team all conference and honorable mention all state. Some gratitude coach Hopper.
Did coach hopper vote for the other coaches? I'm sure he's not the only vote. I get it Dad. You're cheesed at the results. I would be too at those stats. He deserves 1st team but I'm trying to figure out how it's solely his fault.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

wobycat wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Wheelersburg 13-1
Waverly 11-3
Oak Hill 8-6
Minford 7-7
Portsmouth West 6-8
South Webster 5-9
Lucasville Valley 5-9
Northwest 1-13

Biggest joke I heard about these teams is placing Matthew Gullett from Minford on 2nd team all conference. Led his team in average at .468, hits, RBI, and SB, and he played most of the season hurt and even had to miss 4 games.

His stats were equal or better than Eli Daniels last year, and Eli earned conference player of the year, 1st team SOC, 1st team all district, and 1st team all state. Matthew only earned 2nd team all conference and honorable mention all state. Some gratitude coach Hopper.
Did coach hopper vote for the other coaches? I'm sure he's not the only vote. I get it Dad. You're cheesed at the results. I would be too at those stats. He deserves 1st team but I'm trying to figure out how it's solely his fault.
Wobycat, just going to bat for this kid. Most coaches in this voting process just rubber stamp what the head coach wants. Would figure the games he had against Waverly (faced Howell twice), West, Oak Hill, and Valley (one game, we were shutout the game he missed) would merit their vote. Definitely a flawed system.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I'm with you on the flawed system. I was pointing out that it can't be just hoppers fault unless you know he didn't vote him in 1st team. Then I could see your point. I don't think their should be two tiers. Just one all SOC with a player of the year and coach.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

wobycat wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 6:16 pm I'm with you on the flawed system. I was pointing out that it can't be just hoppers fault unless you know he didn't vote him in 1st team. Then I could see your point. I don't think their should be two tiers. Just one all SOC with a player of the year and coach.
Totally agree with you on getting rid of the two tiers. My main gripe about baseball is there are not enough players recognized. Compare with soccer to see the number of 1st team players. There were 8 on the first team alone from Minford last fall. Burg only got 3 on their first team for baseball. Something there just isn't right.

Watson40
Waterboy

Post by Watson40 »

Wheelersburg 13-1
Waverly 11-3
Oak Hill 8-6
Minford 7-7
Portsmouth West 6-8
South Webster 5-9
Lucasville Valley 5-9
Northwest 1-13

Biggest joke I heard about these teams is placing Matthew Gullett from Minford on 2nd team all conference. Led his team in average at .468, hits, 21 RBI, and 13 SB in 17 games, and he played most of the season hurt and even had to miss 4 games.

His stats were equal or better than Eli Daniels last year, and Eli earned conference player of the year, 1st team SOC, 1st team all district, and 1st team all state. Matthew only earned 2nd team all conference and honorable mention all district. Some gratitude coach Hopper.
Yea that's all bad. Those stats are incredible. I guarantee better then the majority of kids that are probably on 1st team. Did he have a rough fielding percentage or super high ERA? Not that it should really factor in with a .468 BA.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

Watson40 wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:22 am

Wheelersburg 13-1
Waverly 11-3
Oak Hill 8-6
Minford 7-7
Portsmouth West 6-8
South Webster 5-9
Lucasville Valley 5-9
Northwest 1-13

Yea that's all bad. Those stats are incredible. I guarantee better then the majority of kids that are probably on 1st team. Did he have a rough fielding percentage or super high ERA? Not that it should really factor in with a .468 BA.
No problem fielding, in fact one of the better fielders if not the best fielder on the team. Only got to pitch very little. Was told by coaches they didn't see him as a pitcher, even though he threw a no hitter in legion ball last summer.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

wobycat wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 6:16 pm I'm with you on the flawed system. I was pointing out that it can't be just hoppers fault unless you know he didn't vote him in 1st team. Then I could see your point. I don't think their should be two tiers. Just one all SOC with a player of the year and coach.
Wobycat, I have been giving some thought about this. The system we have now rewards a quota for how each team finished in the rankings. There very possibly could be a last place team with 3 very good players, but the rest of the team might be mediocre at best, therefore they finish in last place. The way the system is set up, only 2 of the 3 gets recognized.

A possible better solution could be to honor a 1st team by position. Include a DH, 2-4 pitchers, and a utility player just in case there may be a couple great SS's, OF's, or C's. Then either do the same with a 2nd team or have just an honorable mention team to fill out for other deserving players.

1st team possibilities
Pitchers - Coleman (Burg), Howell (Waverly), Gee (Webster), McCaleb (Minford)
Catcher - Carmichael (Burg)
1st base - Darnell (Burg)
2nd base - Gullett (Minford)
Shortstop - Spriggs (OH)
3rd base - Dyer (Burg)
OF - Coleman (Burg), Cunningham (Valley), Kotenbrook (Waverly)
DH / Utility (Bench) - Blevins (Webster), Lindamood (Minford), Coriell (Webster), Doerr (Burg), Harris (Waverly), Kuhn (OH), Knittle (West), Hurd (West), Mundhenk (NW), Morrow (Valley)

Then have an honorable mention if desired

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

No wonder Gullett got overlooked for awards. Found out from an unnamed source his coach didn't do him any favors when he submitted his average as being .347. As stated earlier his average was .468. Minford needs to think long and hard if this is the guy they want representing them.

BaseballGuy
Waterboy

Post by BaseballGuy »

hmmm... I'm pretty sure that Minford coach has an official score book/stats and that is where his information comes from. Not sure where you might have gotten the .468 average from if he submitted .347. I doubt he would've done this on purpose.

In any case every year someone is left out and in most cases not anything to do with the coach not wanting to recognize his players. Both the SOC and SE District recognition systems are flawed and do not support awarding the most deserving player(s). IMO, since most sports are team oriented they should do away with individual awards. Would put an end to all this. Otherwise unfortunately, a few are going to be left out.

From what I've seen and heard of Minford, they play with much more energy and comments on the coach have been good.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

BaseballGuy wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 am hmmm... I'm pretty sure that Minford coach has an official score book/stats and that is where his information comes from. Not sure where you might have gotten the .468 average from if he submitted .347. I doubt he would've done this on purpose.

In any case every year someone is left out and in most cases not anything to do with the coach not wanting to recognize his players. Both the SOC and SE District recognition systems are flawed and do not support awarding the most deserving player(s). IMO, since most sports are team oriented they should do away with individual awards. Would put an end to all this. Otherwise unfortunately, a few are going to be left out.

From what I've seen and heard of Minford, they play with much more energy and comments on the coach have been good.
Assistant coaches acknowledged he had a near .500 average after 15 games when he had to sit with a torn hamstring. The assistants said they needed his bat back in the lineup. He came back to DH even though he wasn't 100%. I kept book also and would even talk to Hopper's dad on whether he scored a play a hit or error also.

Boy Hopper has you and whoever told you that snowballed. The players would play harder for his assistant coaches than him. A majority of the team could not stand him. However, they showed more visible respect for coach Knittle, Russell, Bucowitz, and Davis. The program would prosper more, in my opinion, with Knittle or Davis leading them. It was a shame Coach Daniels couldn't stay one more year.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

BaseballGuy wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 am hmmm... I'm pretty sure that Minford coach has an official score book/stats and that is where his information comes from. Not sure where you might have gotten the .468 average from if he submitted .347. I doubt he would've done this on purpose.

I would be more than glad to compare scorebooks!!

dirtfan
Waterboy

Post by dirtfan »

minford17 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:03 am

give it a rest already ,, your butt hurt cause your kid didn't get the award you thought they should,

the whole batting average think is a judgment call, the way you score a hit is different than say I do

for instance: a ball hit to the short stop, the short stop has to move a little to get to it , he cant get to it there is no play, the batter is on first
is that a hit or and error ? ,, i would say if the short stop is terrible and a decent short stop was playing and could make the play it would be an error
but if a decent short stop couldn't make the play then it is a hit ,, but that is just an opinion , and everybody views it differently

but i do know if i was a coach and had a kid always concerned over his stats ,, i probably wouldn't cut him no slack , just sayin

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

dirtfan wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 am
minford17 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:03 am

give it a rest already ,, your butt hurt cause your kid didn't get the award you thought they should,

the whole batting average think is a judgment call, the way you score a hit is different than say I do

for instance: a ball hit to the short stop, the short stop has to move a little to get to it , he cant get to it there is no play, the batter is on first
is that a hit or and error ? ,, i would say if the short stop is terrible and a decent short stop was playing and could make the play it would be an error
but if a decent short stop couldn't make the play then it is a hit ,, but that is just an opinion , and everybody views it differently

but i do know if i was a coach and had a kid always concerned over his stats ,, i probably wouldn't cut him no slack , just sayin
Dirtfan, I agree with everything you say. It is a judgement call on whether a ball in play is called a hit or an error. A lot of times you get a home team bias that would lean towards a hit rather than an error. I have kept scorebook for over 30 years as a hobby and later in some of my son's games when I wasn't coaching a base. I have been one who is very strict in determining whether judging a hit or an error. I usually go along the lines of calling it an error.

My son rarely concerns himself with statistics. The only stat he concerned himself with more was his fielding stats. This is my fight against a coach who wronged a player, and thought I would utilize this forum to shed some light on the unethical decisions of a coach. I would have done the same thing for other players also. For instance, Luke Lindamood batted .419 with 6 2B's, and only received honorable mention all district. 2nd in team batting average and only struck out once. This is less 3 games I didn't keep score too. So he could be argued to deserve greater accolades as well.

Now to argue your theory. I am a retired math teacher. In order to show that much discrepancy between the two averages the way you were saying there would have to be 9 to 10 questionable hits switched to errors. The great thing about the app I use is that it will shows balls in play on a spray chart. It shows that Matthew only had 5 infield hits, and of those, 2 were drag bunts down 3rd base line. So, that leaves only 3 in question. 2 of the 3 were shown to be in the hole between SS and 3B with the other up the middle. He is a left handed hitter who led team with 13 SB's, so without thinking too hard about the 2 bunts and the two in the hole, he easily beat those out. All the 26 others showed spray hits all across the outfield with 18 singles, 4 doubles, and 4 triples. 31 hits and 24 RBI in 20 total games played (regular season and playoffs) in 68 AB's. Final stats show a .456 average.

Now, I trust this coach who alerted me to this, and have had other coaches tell me that it was absolutely comical he didn't receive higher accolades. Wanted to warn other Minford baseball parents of how unethical our "oh so great" coach is. Get rid of this joke Mr. Litteral and Minford School Board

Return to “Baseball”