New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Penguin
Freshman Team

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by Penguin »

What was Kellough's record at ZT before he went to Chillicothe?

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

283-175 62% 1984-2005 (21 years)
Six League titles
No District titles

**According to the Zane Trace basketball website

Penguin
Freshman Team

Post by Penguin »

nice guy wrote:283-175 62% 1984-2005 (21 years)
Six League titles
No District titles

**According to the Zane Trace basketball website

Thanks, my only question is I wonder how long he will stay at this post.

Theburgfan
Waterboy

Post by Theburgfan »

miggyt wrote:Let's just say the SE situation is a question of politics more than actual production. It's true they had a bad regular season, but you can't build a program by churning the head coaching position over every other year. It's that simple. Let's see what happens at SE's board meeting on 4/24. Probably won't change anything, but it might be interesting to attend.
According to some friends up that way of mine the coach had already applied at other schools before being told he wouldn't return. Seems to be a theme with this coach only staying 1 or 2 years wherever he goes. I do agree its hard to build a program switching coaches frequently. But as for the board meeting if its like our school all coaches are on a one year contract so basically your never guaranteed a second year.

Penguin
Freshman Team

Post by Penguin »

Theburgfan wrote:
miggyt wrote:Let's just say the SE situation is a question of politics more than actual production. It's true they had a bad regular season, but you can't build a program by churning the head coaching position over every other year. It's that simple. Let's see what happens at SE's board meeting on 4/24. Probably won't change anything, but it might be interesting to attend.
According to some friends up that way of mine the coach had already applied at other schools before being told he wouldn't return. Seems to be a theme with this coach only staying 1 or 2 years wherever he goes. I do agree its hard to build a program switching coaches frequently. But as for the board meeting if its like our school all coaches are on a one year contract so basically your never guaranteed a second year.
Maybe he had reason to believe he would be non-renewed so he was preparing himself.

The Great Pumpkin
Waterboy

Post by The Great Pumpkin »

Well, Zane Trace is bring Gary Kellough back. I think it's pretty obvious what Southeastern should do now. Bring back "The Legend", Larry Jordan!

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

The Great Pumpkin wrote:Well, Zane Trace is bring Gary Kellough back. I think it's pretty obvious what Southeastern should do now. Bring back "The Legend", Larry Jordan!
RECYCLE < RECYCLE> RECYCLE!!!!

miggyt
Freshman Team

Post by miggyt »

Penguin wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:36 pm
Theburgfan wrote:
Maybe he had reason to believe he would be non-renewed so he was preparing himself.
I actually heard the opposite of BurgFan. He was told he wasn't returning as coach, asked about his teaching contract (since that's how he feeds his family) and given a non-commital answer. He applied to another school, then was told that he was being non-renewed as a teacher. He decided to resign because if he made a big fuss then it would be difficult to get a job anywhere.

Theburgfan
Waterboy

Post by Theburgfan »

miggyt wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 3:49 pm
Penguin wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:36 pm
Theburgfan wrote:
I actually heard the opposite of BurgFan. He was told he wasn't returning as coach, asked about his teaching contract (since that's how he feeds his family) and given a non-commital answer. He applied to another school, then was told that he was being non-renewed as a teacher. He decided to resign because if he made a big fuss then it would be difficult to get a job anywhere.

He was absolutely not told he was being non renewed as a teacher at anytime. As a matter of fact he is on the board agenda to be hired back as a teacher for the next board meeting. Also it says Rick Strausbaugh will be hired as the varsity boys coach. He himself has stated that to other teachers at SE.

Farmer Jim
Waterboy

Post by Farmer Jim »

What kind of experience does Rick Strausbaugh have? I know he was Slaughter's assistant last year, but I don't know what all he coached previously.

miggyt
Freshman Team

Post by miggyt »

Farmer Jim wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:21 pm What kind of experience does Rick Strausbaugh have? I know he was Slaughter's assistant last year, but I don't know what all he coached previously.
He's been a junior high coach for years. I heard the other day that Chris Skaggs, the former SE standout and Adena girls coach (who coached SE JH last year) will be an assistant.

miggyt
Freshman Team

Post by miggyt »

Slaughter got the boys job at Cambridge. His teaching contract was, surprisingly, up for renewal at Monday's board meeting, but I don't know if they approved it, or whether it was pulled after the Cambridge deal.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Interesting , What's reaction from people from Southeastern ?

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Great hire for Southeastern , figured it was his. I have heard a couple other names thrown around for the assistant position and if they don't want it probably go with Skaggs. Strausbaugh coached junior varsity quite a few years under Jordan . I believe he started coaching under Gary kellough when he was at trace years ago. Went to the girls side and coached JV for quite a few years at southeastern and just recently got back into the boys program under Cox and Slaughter . Probably close to 20 years coaching at all levels .

E High
All State

Post by E High »

What is reaction from Southeastern on Slaughter's new job ?

Penguin
Freshman Team

Post by Penguin »

E High wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 5:31 pm What is reaction from Southeastern on Slaughter's new job ?
Who cares? Is their own fault he had to move on. The ones who are smart and basketball minded are probably disappointed and the one's who are based around politics and agendas are happy.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

That may be true . Just curious why he's now on his 4th job in 6 years ? That's a little unusual .

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

E High wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 12:01 pm That may be true . Just curious why he's now on his 4th job in 6 years ? That's a little unusual .
I think he left Crooksville for another opportunity, and Sydney and SE are notorious for running guys off, I anticipate him being at Cambridge for the foreseeable future.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

I think this is Cambridge's 4th coach in 10-12 years ? Stability is now lost at many schools .

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

I think Slaughter wanted to coach and most people are excited he found another coaching job since that is what he wanted to do... coach. Best of luck to him and Cambridge for that matter. Hopefully it works out for all parties involved.
Southeastern had 3 coaches from 1970-2007. 3 coaches the last 9 years. One left on his own to become an administrator, one had to go, and the last one resigned to pursue other opportunities. Seemed to work out Well for all that have moved on.

Return to “Boys Basketball”