SOC II baseball

baseball16
All Conference

Re: SOC II baseball

Post by baseball16 »

Right now Oak Hill is down 2 league games and 5 games overall. League games take priority knowing they have to be played. Non League games can be rescheduled and played at a later date. Some League policies are put in place for proper makeup times.

PirateBB
Freshman Team

Post by PirateBB »

TheBigGuy74 wrote:The Tigers are out and hungry to end Wheelersburgs' title reign. They're looking good this year and are hoping to build on to the playoff run they had last year.
We will see tonight. Waverly at Wheelersburg. Waverly enters at 2-2 and Wheelersburg at 2-1. GO BURG!

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

Makeup games on 4-4 that I know of

Waverly at Wheelersburg
Oak Hill at West

Non conference

Notre Dame at Minford

BiddyBallDaddy
Freshman Team

Post by BiddyBallDaddy »

tomcat wrote:Explain why league games have to be made up as soon as possible, cancelling non-league games.
It's common sense really. You have to play conference games. Can't be playing after the tournament. One team could go weeks and the other sitting around waiting to play it.

PirateBB
Freshman Team

Post by PirateBB »

Wheelersburg 3- Waverly 0. Final

Pirate4Life
Riding the Bench

Post by Pirate4Life »

I understand you have to play conference games but to cancel one game to play another is wrong. Here is just one of many example Burg played South Webster last Wednesday, and knowing Friday game was 90% chance of rain so asked if they wanted to play Thursday instead (both teams was off on Thursday) coach for SW says no, we will take our chance on Friday well it rained. So now that game gets moved to this Thursday where Wheelersburg had to cancel there game against Columbus Bishop Watterson at the VA (this would be a great game for the boys) well guess what the weather doesn't look good for Thursday, so if that gets cancelled does the Burg have to cancel there next non league game if so now there down two games. I understand you have to play league games but both teams coaches and AD have to be smart and look ahead if it calls for rain and there is a day where both teams are off play then don't make a team cancel a game.

I give Waverly and coach Noble props Burg was suppose to play at Waverly on Monday it rained cancelled the game, both teams was off today there field wasn't ready to play on so they traveled down and was able to get the game in and on Wednesday Burg will go to Waverly.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Outside of games at places like the VA, you can always reschedule those non league games. Just make a few phones calls, not a huge deal for baseball.

jijibean
Waterboy

Post by jijibean »

Oak Hill 10 (2-0)
West 2 (2-1)

ALLthatJAZZ
Riding the Bench

Post by ALLthatJAZZ »

Pirate4Life wrote:I understand you have to play conference games but to cancel one game to play another is wrong. Here is just one of many example Burg played South Webster last Wednesday, and knowing Friday game was 90% chance of rain so asked if they wanted to play Thursday instead (both teams was off on Thursday) coach for SW says no, we will take our chance on Friday well it rained. So now that game gets moved to this Thursday where Wheelersburg had to cancel there game against Columbus Bishop Watterson at the VA (this would be a great game for the boys) well guess what the weather doesn't look good for Thursday, so if that gets cancelled does the Burg have to cancel there next non league game if so now there down two games. I understand you have to play league games but both teams coaches and AD have to be smart and look ahead if it calls for rain and there is a day where both teams are off play then don't make a team cancel a game.

I give Waverly and coach Noble props Burg was suppose to play at Waverly on Monday it rained cancelled the game, both teams was off today there field wasn't ready to play on so they traveled down and was able to get the game in and on Wednesday Burg will go to Waverly.
Pirate4life: just curious, because I think there is some bias... how many of the other SOC 1 and SOC 2 games were moved up to Thursday last week from the originally scheduled Friday date? The answer is zero. You won't see a whole lot of teams moving games UP when they have a scheduled OFF day (especially the day before like you're talking about)... What you're talking about with Waverly is completely different and all teams would do that. If you're familiar with this new pitch count rule, you'd know that coaching staffs plan well ahead of time the limit on their guys each contest (you have to). If you have games Monday and Tuesday like SW did last week (burg didn't play either day which is another important factor here), then they're pitching those games with having Thursday off in mind. And if that Wednesday game last week was moved to Thursday it wouldn't have changed a thing... but moving Friday up to Thursday changes everything. Try to look at it from another perspective other than just one team. Besides the fact that burg has 2-3x the arms at their disposal compared to most teams in the area. Most teams are leaving their Thursday's open in the league ever since that rule came into play anyways. No one wants to see anyone cancel good non-conference opportunities. But you know going in that Thursday's are to be used for make up games. It's just one of those things we have to deal with in the SOC right now.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

Standings.
Wheelersburg. ( 2- 0 )
Oak Hill. ( 2- 0 )
West. ( 2- 1 )
Waverly. ( 1- 1 )
S. Webster. ( 0 - 1 )
Valley. ( 0- 1 )
Minford. ( 0- 1 )
Northwest. ( 0- 2 )

Through 4-4

Games on 4-5
Minford @ Webster
Wheelersburg @ Waverly
Northwest @ Valley
West @ Oak Hill

tomcat
Riding the Bench

Post by tomcat »

I heard that Waverly cancelled against Burg today, 80 degrees and sunny. Is that true? Any other SOC games cancelled today? My nephew's tball practice is still on for this evening. LOL

PirateBB
Freshman Team

Post by PirateBB »

Waverly cancelled this game? It's 80 degrees with no rain for hours. Why did they cancel?

Burg4
JV Team

Post by Burg4 »

Does anybody know why the game vs Waverly was cancelled tonight? Is this April fools?

PirateBB
Freshman Team

Post by PirateBB »

I am here in Waverly right now watching the Wheelersburg-Waverly girls softball game. There is a team on the baseball field right now. Does anybody know why the boys' varsity game was cancelled? It couldn't have anything to do with the weather or field conditions. Just curious...

Pirate4Life
Riding the Bench

Post by Pirate4Life »

ALLthatJAZZ: The SOC has to come up with something that if your field cant be played on then you get on a bus and go there no matter if you have to play both games on the road. some people will not go for that but all you are doing is cheating the boys out of a game. The Burg had to cancel Bishop Watterson, now the Portsmouth, and Greenup game is cancelled on Saturday and Tuesday now to make these games up. It was said earlier about pitching, because Wheelersburg puts time and effort into there program at a young age to develope the pitchers they get punished.

Burg4
JV Team

Post by Burg4 »

Pirate4Life wrote:ALLthatJAZZ: The SOC has to come up with something that if your field cant be played on then you get on a bus and go there no matter if you have to play both games on the road. some people will not go for that but all you are doing is cheating the boys out of a game. The Burg had to cancel Bishop Watterson, now the Portsmouth, and Greenup game is cancelled on Saturday and Tuesday now to make these games up. It was said earlier about pitching, because Wheelersburg puts time and effort into there program at a young age to develope the pitchers they get punished.
I agree with you.

We live in Ohio. We do not live in Florida, Texas, California, etc. The high school season this year goes from March 25 to around May 6, 6 weeks max. Nights like tonight are at a PREMIUM. Many nights during this 6 week season you are going to have Rain, Snow (Friday), maybe field scheduling conflicts, etc. If you are really interested in playing and maybe succeeding at baseball, you should play every opportunity you can. If you think you may desire success, it may be worth working with younger players and maybe putting a baseball glove on their hand/bat in their hands more than 2 or 3 months a year. I just think this is why Southern Ohio gets a bad rap at baseball and there are such few teams with success. Play baseball WHENEVER, WHEREVER. You know that tomorrow and Friday nobody will be playing, so cancelling a game and not playing on a beautiful night like tonight was, is a WASTE. Rant Over (Drops Mic.)

8332 Granite St
JV Team

Post by 8332 Granite St »

PirateBB wrote:I am here in Waverly right now watching the Wheelersburg-Waverly girls softball game. There is a team on the baseball field right now. Does anybody know why the boys' varsity game was cancelled? It couldn't have anything to do with the weather or field conditions. Just curious...
Did the Lady Pirates get the win? Score?

PirateBB
Freshman Team

Post by PirateBB »

Wheelersburg Softball won 16-0

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the Minford @ Waverly makeup game tomorrow night will be cancelled. The outfield at Waverly stands with water very frequently. The hill that stretches from right to center must funnel a lot of water there.

ALLthatJAZZ
Riding the Bench

Post by ALLthatJAZZ »

Burg4 wrote:
Pirate4Life wrote:ALLthatJAZZ: The SOC has to come up with something that if your field cant be played on then you get on a bus and go there no matter if you have to play both games on the road. some people will not go for that but all you are doing is cheating the boys out of a game. The Burg had to cancel Bishop Watterson, now the Portsmouth, and Greenup game is cancelled on Saturday and Tuesday now to make these games up. It was said earlier about pitching, because Wheelersburg puts time and effort into there program at a young age to develope the pitchers they get punished.
I agree with you.

We live in Ohio. We do not live in Florida, Texas, California, etc. The high school season this year goes from March 25 to around May 6, 6 weeks max. Nights like tonight are at a PREMIUM. Many nights during this 6 week season you are going to have Rain, Snow (Friday), maybe field scheduling conflicts, etc. If you are really interested in playing and maybe succeeding at baseball, you should play every opportunity you can. If you think you may desire success, it may be worth working with younger players and maybe putting a baseball glove on their hand/bat in their hands more than 2 or 3 months a year. I just think this is why Southern Ohio gets a bad rap at baseball and there are such few teams with success. Play baseball WHENEVER, WHEREVER. You know that tomorrow and Friday nobody will be playing, so cancelling a game and not playing on a beautiful night like tonight was, is a WASTE. Rant Over (Drops Mic.)
I COMPLETELY agree with you both. The comment I was responding to in the first place was about moving games up. I agree that we need to play when we can, but my point was that teams plan their pitching ahead of time now with the pitch count so they'll know who they have available. Moving a game up the day before, when you thought you were off, creates a very sticky situation for most teams. Burg is in a class of their own when it comes to the system they have for baseball from the ground up... but that's probably the only team in the area that can afford to throw 10 different guys and compete. They aren't getting punished, I'm just saying you have to sometimes see it from a different point of view. But bottom line is play the games on the date they're scheduled. I agree with that always.

On a different note: why didn't burg and Waverly play? That's a head scratcher.

Return to “Baseball”