2017-18 Season ... Who are the top teams in each league ?

mikepike
All State

Re: 2017-18 Season ... Who are the top teams in each league ?

Post by mikepike »

Why is Coach Miller leaving Western? I haven't heard any rumors about Perdue leaving Western; will have to check my sources!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

trojandave wrote:JeepNation: Thanks for the enrollment info. Very interesting to see some schools moving up or down a division.

Here is my look at the Ohio Valley Conference in 2017-2018:

1. Fairland.......the clear favorite to win the title for the 3rd year in a row, and they will be trying to also go undefeated 3 years in a row.
2. Gallia Academy.......most of their top 8 back and a lot of size with 6-11 Loveday and 6-5 Peck
3. Ironton........has 4 starters back including Charlie Large from injury
4. Coal Grove.......all 5 starters back but could be hurt by lack of size
5. South Point......Tayshawn Fox back along with several others; did lose 3 starters
6. Portsmouth......lost top two scorers in Reynolds and Malone; return 3 starters but will be offensively challenged
7. Chesapeake......most of their roster is sophomores but Panthers could be the OVC favorite in 2018-2019
8. Rock Hill.........outstanding junior Mason Darby back but Redmen don't have the supporting cast

That's a very early look at the OVC which means I will be wrong and some surprises will happen........maybe my Trojans will be one...... :D

I also predict at least 1 OVC school will make the regionals, very possible 2. Fairland can still make the regional at D2 but it will be tougher than it was this past season to make the Final 4.

Hearing that Mason Darby has transferred to Oak Hill. Can anyone confirm? Also hearing Loveday may also be headed to Oak Hill as well.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Crab's Brother wrote:
trojandave wrote:JeepNation: Thanks for the enrollment info. Very interesting to see some schools moving up or down a division.

Here is my look at the Ohio Valley Conference in 2017-2018:

1. Fairland.......the clear favorite to win the title for the 3rd year in a row, and they will be trying to also go undefeated 3 years in a row.
2. Gallia Academy.......most of their top 8 back and a lot of size with 6-11 Loveday and 6-5 Peck
3. Ironton........has 4 starters back including Charlie Large from injury
4. Coal Grove.......all 5 starters back but could be hurt by lack of size
5. South Point......Tayshawn Fox back along with several others; did lose 3 starters
6. Portsmouth......lost top two scorers in Reynolds and Malone; return 3 starters but will be offensively challenged
7. Chesapeake......most of their roster is sophomores but Panthers could be the OVC favorite in 2018-2019
8. Rock Hill.........outstanding junior Mason Darby back but Redmen don't have the supporting cast

That's a very early look at the OVC which means I will be wrong and some surprises will happen........maybe my Trojans will be one...... :D

I also predict at least 1 OVC school will make the regionals, very possible 2. Fairland can still make the regional at D2 but it will be tougher than it was this past season to make the Final 4.

Hearing that Mason Darby has transferred to Oak Hill. Can anyone confirm? Also hearing Loveday may also be headed to Oak Hill as well.
I have heard those rumors.

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

I too have heard those rumors! I'm sure they weren't recruited or anything like that :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is kind of funny that if Darby goes there, 4 of the 5 starters at Oak Hill are transfers!! hahahah!

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

JEEPNATION wrote:I too have heard those rumors! I'm sure they weren't recruited or anything like that :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is kind of funny that if Darby goes there, 4 of the 5 starters at Oak Hill are transfers!! hahahah!
Street cred, with a HOF coach a lot of times you don't have to say a word, just PARENTS and kids want to come play for the coach. The perception of parents these days is really a misunderstanding of what wins basketball games and how they are won. For example Parent A "I really like how this coach controls tempo, blah blah blah, when in reality it could be an excellent point guard who moved into the district who is just miles beyond anyone in the SE District offensively so no one can stop him from dictating the tempo.

Sportsman
Riding the Bench

Post by Sportsman »

Rumors are all over the place. Darby to South Point / Oak HILL due to the fact RH lost yet another Coach and also may want a supporting cast. Who Knows. Loveday to Huntington Prep? Also hearing Webster and Burg may get a transfer. Guess a lot off schools are recruiting or are Players / Parents just wanting better opportunities. Once again Rumors!!

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

Sportsman wrote:Rumors are all over the place. Darby to South Point / Oak HILL due to the fact RH lost yet another Coach and also may want a supporting cast. Who Knows. Loveday to Huntington Prep? Also hearing Webster and Burg may get a transfer. Guess a lot off schools are recruiting or are Players / Parents just wanting better opportunities. Once again Rumors!!
What happened to Rock Hill coach?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Rumors of player movement is exactly why doing an OVC preview for the 2017-2018 season is like trying to see through muddy water......but really when it's all said and done, there are very few kids who go elsewhere. HS basketball has its own version of the hot stove league, and it looks as if it's in full swing now.

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

I really thought the guy at Rock Hill would stay awhile. Gue? Is that his name? He seemed like a good get for Rock Hill! Was he forced out or simply step down? That is a very tough place to coach basketball

Sportsman
Riding the Bench

Post by Sportsman »

Was told he stepped down for Family reasons and I agree he was a good fit. Tough job indeed .

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I want to stop ANY AND ALL rumors - Pfloyd has not accepted a position on another basketball forum , I will not be taking my talents or the Elite 8 anywhere but here on SEOPs ... just wanted get that out there , once the "r-word" starts flying things get outta control...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:I want to stop ANY AND ALL rumors - Pfloyd has not accepted a position on another basketball forum , I will not be taking my talents or the Elite 8 anywhere but here on SEOPs ... just wanted get that out there , once the "r-word" starts flying things get outta control...
Fake news!

Ive been reading your 'elite 8' of the key west league over the past few days

;)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote:
pfloyd wrote:I want to stop ANY AND ALL rumors - Pfloyd has not accepted a position on another basketball forum , I will not be taking my talents or the Elite 8 anywhere but here on SEOPs ... just wanted get that out there , once the "r-word" starts flying things get outta control...
Fake news!

Ive been reading your 'elite 8' of the key west league over the past few days

;)

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 of the Florida Keys -Spring Break Week ...

The Upper Keys League

Soldier Key.
Ragged Keys
Boca Chica Island Key
Sands Key.
Elliott Key.
Reid Key.
Rubicon Keys.
Totten Key.
Rodes Key.

The Middle Keys League :

Craig Key.
Fiesta Key.
Long Key.
Conch Key.
Duck Key.
Grassy Key.
*The Marathon Keys :
Crawl Key.
Long Point Key.
Fat Deer key.
Shelter Key.
Vaca Key.
Boot Key.
Knight’s Key.
Pigeon Key

The Lower Keys League:

Little Dock Key.
Missouri Key.
Sunshine Key.
Bahia Honda Key.
Spanish Harbor.
Scout Key.( Summerland Key)
No Name Key.
Big Pine Key.
Little Torch Key.
Meddle Torch Key.
Big Torch Key.
Ramrod Key.
Summerland Key.
Knockemdown Key.
Cudjoe Key.
Sugarloaf Key.
Park Key.
Lower Sugarloaf Key.
Saddlebuch Key.
Shark Key.
Geiger Key.
Big Coppitt.
Rockland Key.
Boca Chica Key.
Racoon Key.
Stock Island.
Key West.
Sisgbee Park.
Fleming Key.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Soldier Key way to high.

sportsgrandpa
Waterboy

Post by sportsgrandpa »

VisionQuest wrote:
tvc_fan wrote:I honestly believe that Meigs will win the TVC-OHIO this year and make a good tourney run.

I don't think VC will be as good this year without Bartoe or Jones and defenses can focus more on Naylan Yates and Speakman.

Athens loses Lutz, That is huge. Defense will just have to worry about Cozart, and we shut him down last year the 2nd time around.

We lose Musser (12ppg) Kennedy (8ppg) and Mahr (9ppg)
But we return Mattox, Bartrum and Baer and return a great group of bench players and also have a few from JV that will compete for plenty of playing time.

Although it's not a difference in Elite Eight....We could very well be dropping back down to D3.
Of course I have to disagree with your statement about Athens. Everyone knows Lutz is a rare talent and will be missed. However; with Lutz gone I honestly believe Athens will play more as a Team. When an offense is geared toward 3 players, other younger players simply assume their "roles" and simply don't tend to be aggressive or look to score. I think that will change and it will need to change. But to say they won't be competitive because they Lose Lutz gives no credit to the other players who are up and coming. Without hyping them up too much I believe Ath me will be highly competitive next year, especially with the new head coach going into his 2nd season and being more seasoned as well. Just my thoughts. Athens, Meigs and VC will be the front runners next year.
Long way until next hoop season. AAU for some, football training and track for others. Butcher playing on high powered AAU team. Saltzmen underway with ALL Ohio they are really good and the All Conf Cozart with a good program . Athens should be good. Hines, Cozart, Dink, Saltzmen four starters return. Why wouldn't they be?

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

sportsgrandpa wrote:
VisionQuest wrote:
tvc_fan wrote:I honestly believe that Meigs will win the TVC-OHIO this year and make a good tourney run.

I don't think VC will be as good this year without Bartoe or Jones and defenses can focus more on Naylan Yates and Speakman.

Athens loses Lutz, That is huge. Defense will just have to worry about Cozart, and we shut him down last year the 2nd time around.

But we return Mattox, Bartrum and Baer and return a great group of bench players and also have a few from JV that will compete for plenty of playing time.

Although it's not a difference in Elite Eight....We could very well be dropping back down to D3.
Of course I have to disagree with your statement about Athens. Everyone knows Lutz is a rare talent and will be missed. However; with Lutz gone I honestly believe Athens will play more as a Team. When an offense is geared toward 3 players, other younger players simply assume their "roles" and simply don't tend to be aggressive or look to score. I think that will change and it will need to change. But to say they won't be competitive because they Lose Lutz gives no credit to the other players who are up and coming. Without hyping them up too much I believe Ath me will be highly competitive next year, especially with the new head coach going into his 2nd season and being more seasoned as well. Just my thoughts. Athens, Meigs and VC will be the front runners next year.
Long way until next hoop season. AAU for some, football training and track for others. Butcher playing on high powered AAU team. Saltzmen underway with ALL Ohio they are really good and the All Conf Cozart with a good program . Athens should be good. Hines, Cozart, Dink, Saltzmen four starters return. Why wouldn't they be?
And several members of Meigs doing the same.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

sportsgrandpa wrote:
VisionQuest wrote:

Baer and Butcher are on the same high powered AAU team

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

What team do they play for?

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

TVC wrote:
sportsgrandpa wrote:
VisionQuest wrote:Of course I have to disagree with your statement about Athens. Everyone knows Lutz is a rare talent and will be missed. However; with Lutz gone I honestly believe Athens will play more as a Team. When an offense is geared toward 3 players, other younger players simply assume their "roles" and simply don't tend to be aggressive or look to score. I think that will change and it will need to change. But to say they won't be competitive because they Lose Lutz gives no credit to the other players who are up and coming. Without hyping them up too much I believe Ath me will be highly competitive next year, especially with the new head coach going into his 2nd season and being more seasoned as well. Just my thoughts. Athens, Meigs and VC will be the front runners next year.
Baer and Butcher are on the same high powered AAU team
Yeah I seen some video over the weekend, playing for Adidas.

football life
Freshman Team

Post by football life »

bman wrote:MSL - Fairfield Union is clear cut favorite with players like Colin Woodside, Lucas Thompson and Evan Conley back. Bloom-Carroll suffered some big losses to graduation, but believe they'll be competitive...Logan Elm will frankly be in a rebuilding season, but has some promising classes coming up including next year's freshmen....Teays Valley has wing Ryan Wolfe back, but loses the rest of its starters and has some questions coming into next season...Circleville should have some decent pieces back, but needs to improve a lot on defense and find a point guard...Amanda should continue to improve, but looks to be a middle-of-the-pack team.

FAC...aka Confederate Five plus Jackson - Miami Trace loses a ton of seniors, but still returns guard Cameron Carter and forward Darby Tyree. Expect to be around .500 or maybe a little better. Court House returns Evan Upthegrove, Richard Burns and Dillon Steward. Coach Bartruff does a nice job with those guys. I'd say they should be competitive, .500 or maybe a little better. Chillicothe would be my preseason league favorite, led by Branden Maughmer, but a potential move to D1 will really hurt come tournament time. We have some posters from FAC country who can probably fill in some information.

A wild card from my area could by Circleville New Hope Christian, which is supposed to be going into OHSAA this upcoming season. It'll be interesting to see if they are put in the Central or Southeast in Division IV. New Hope won the OCSAA championship this past season. New Hope will be an independent.

Return to “Boys Basketball”