Enrollment Numbers

4thgoal
SEOPS

Enrollment Numbers

Post by 4thgoal »

Has anyone else been looking through the proposed enrollment numbers? I see several potential shifts in division. Of course we won't know until the final enrollment numbers are in and competitive balance is thrown on top of that. Here are some potential moves:

Chillicothe boys and girls to D1
Northwest boys and girls to D2
Alexander boys and girls to D2
Chesapeake and Rock Hill boys to D2
South Point girls to D2
Marietta boys and girls to D1
Zanesville boys and girls down to D2

Soccerfan1
Freshman Team

Re: Enrollment Numbers

Post by Soccerfan1 »

does anyone know if there is a rule in place that states that a team like Summit Country Day has to move up in Division for winning so many championships in a period of time?... I have heard that their soccer program is moving up to D II because of their winning 4 of the last 5 state titles!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Soccerfan1 wrote:does anyone know if there is a rule in place that states that a team like Summit Country Day has to move up in Division for winning so many championships in a period of time?... I have heard that their soccer program is moving up to D II because of their winning 4 of the last 5 state titles!
To my knowledge there is nothing like this. I believe there was something proposed to adjust teams enrollment based on a "historical factor" in the early stages of the process, but that proposal failed.

The new count has their enrollment at 154 boys and 146 girls. IF they would have a high number of kids on the roster that meet the criteria for the +6 factor, it is possible they could move up. The previous cutoff numbers were 177 boys and 174 girls. I have no idea if they would even be close to this, but 5 boys or girls could put them close to the line if the division cutoffs remain similar.

Coach93
Freshman Team

Post by Coach93 »

I was told the other day that Northwest Boys will be staying in Division III for the coming year. But as you said it all depends on the final enrollment numbers and competitive balance numbers that are presented. :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Coach93 wrote:I was told the other day that Northwest Boys will be staying in Division III for the coming year. But as you said it all depends on the final enrollment numbers and competitive balance numbers that are presented. :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
They very well could stay D3, but it will be close. Since its just the end of February, what else do we have to talk about? :lol: :lol:

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

OHSAA is going to limit rosters for teams with competitive balance. If you are a borderline team there is no benefit to keeping a kid on the team. Especially if they are open enrollment. Div 1 teams won't me impacted but div 2 and 3 will be.

Gview
Freshman Team

Post by Gview »

4thgoal wrote:To my knowledge there is nothing like this. I believe there was something proposed to adjust teams enrollment based on a "historical factor" in the early stages of the process, but that proposal failed.

The new count has their enrollment at 154 boys and 146 girls. IF they would have a high number of kids on the roster that meet the criteria for the +6 factor, it is possible they could move up. The previous cutoff numbers were 177 boys and 174 girls. I have no idea if they would even be close to this, but 5 boys or girls could put them close to the line if the division cutoffs remain similar.

You are correct that they will not be moving up a division based on a historical factor. I would assume that the roster contains a lot of kids that are at the +6 level, meaning that a jump to D2 may well be happening. I think the number is lower than it was just 2 years ago, due to graduations.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

The new enrollment numbers were released today. The balance numbers will be released April 6

SP soccer
Riding the Bench

Post by SP soccer »

Im thinking boys D3 cutoff will be 190 or so after CB.

Gview
Freshman Team

Post by Gview »

http://www.ohsaa.org/Sports-Tournaments ... ssignments

Looks like cutoff to D2 was 199.

Summit is still D3.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

On the girls side, the D3 championship game last year had Gilmour Academy vs Cincinnati Country Day....they both had adjustments over 100 and moved up to D2

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

So chilli girls stay d2. Marietta goes to d1. Any other changes?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Alexander boys to D2

Gview
Freshman Team

Post by Gview »

I counted only 11 Boys Soccer teams affected by the CB in the State.

Probably the biggest move up (in terms of history) was D2 Dayton Carroll going to D1. They will still be competitive, maybe not win a championship but should be competitive with everyone.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Gview wrote:I counted only 11 Boys Soccer teams affected by the CB in the State.
You are looking only at schools showing they moved because of CB. You also have to look at schools who moved down because of EMIS. The D2/D3 cutoff changed from 177 to 199, so there are a lot more schools who were actually affected because of the division cutoffs that were moved because of CB. I believe the number is closer to 20 boys teams affected, but it still isn't that drastic.

Gview
Freshman Team

Post by Gview »

OK, so 20 teams out 571 (based on last years tournament count)? That is what, about 3.5% of the teams that it affected. Serious waste of effort for 1 change (in boys soccer that I am aware of) that may/may not have an impact on a private winning a State Title.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Gview wrote:OK, so 20 teams out 571 (based on last years tournament count)? That is what, about 3.5% of the teams that it affected. Serious waste of effort for 1 change (in boys soccer that I am aware of) that may/may not have an impact on a private winning a State Title.
I don't disagree with you, but just for debate, you said there is 1 division of boys that could be impacted by this and the D3 girls could also be impacted by this. That makes 2 out of the 6 overall division for soccer which could be impacted by the CB changes. That seems a little more substantial to think that 33% of the state champs could be affected. Just think, we get to do this over again every year too! :lol:

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

I still ask the question how do so many schools show a 0 in their competitive balance number. More than half have 0.

Gview
Freshman Team

Post by Gview »

4thgoal wrote:I don't disagree with you, but just for debate, you said there is 1 division of boys that could be impacted by this and the D3 girls could also be impacted by this. That makes 2 out of the 6 overall division for soccer which could be impacted by the CB changes. That seems a little more substantial to think that 33% of the state champs could be affected. Just think, we get to do this over again every year too! :lol:
By affected you mean another private school winning the championship? The CB didn't change anything substantial, no matter what number/percentage/whatever you want to throw out there.

Where did I say anything about girls soccer? And besides that, Carroll moving to D1 just means that they could in fact be competing for the D1 crown next year.
rxburgfan wrote:I still ask the question how do so many schools show a 0 in their competitive balance number. More than half have 0.
0 is for the number of student athletes that have attended the feeder school before the 7th grade and live in that district. So more than half of the schools have a majority of student athletes that are "homegrown".

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Gview wrote:
rxburgfan wrote:I still ask the question how do so many schools show a 0 in their competitive balance number. More than half have 0.
0 is for the number of student athletes that have attended the feeder school before the 7th grade and live in that district. So more than half of the schools have a majority of student athletes that are "homegrown".
Home grown has nothing to do with it. Tier 0 (CB of 0) is for those on the roster living within the district and enrolled in the school (at the time of the CB submission).

http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/SchoolRe ... strict.pdf

Return to “Soccer”