Parkersburg @ Athens 1/10

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: Parkersburg @ Athens 1/10

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Raider6309 wrote:
thebarlowbandit wrote:
Lovebball42 wrote:Waterford beat this team over the summer so I wouldn't say Athens doesn't even have a "chance" of beating them I've seen Parkersburg and Athens play, Athens definitely has a chance of winning

Athens couldn't beat Waterford, so your point?
:lol:

But really Parkersburg would roll warren and Waterford. They have no size

You think Warren has no size, we will see how well Athens matches up down low. You've had all the size for how long? Twins? burrow, Watson, and how did that work?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Do you have Parkersburg size? The answer is no. I was actually impressed they were 6', 6'2, 6'3, 6'5, and 6'6.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I don't think Vinton or even Fairland could beat Parkersburg. Maybe Fairland with their size in the front court. Pburg is very big, very athletic, super quick and extremely deep. 10 guys play and you have no idea who the starters are by halftime, they all seem equal. But, with over 900 boys in the school, you're bound to find a handful of really good basketball players. lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Parkersburg plays at Warren 1/17

That will be interesting. Playing at the Warrior Dome will no doubt benefit the Warriors - but I'm not sure they have enough horses to overcome the Big Reds. Pburg does like to get out and run up and down the court - and their speed could be neutralized a little in that cracker jack box they call a gym ... But I still say Parkersburg 71, Warren 58.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote:I don't think Vinton or even Fairland could beat Parkersburg. Maybe Fairland with their size in the front court. Pburg is very big, very athletic, super quick and extremely deep. 10 guys play and you have no idea who the starters are by halftime, they all seem equal. But, with over 900 boys in the school, you're bound to find a handful of really good basketball players. lol
As from my earlier posts-who to watch out for from P-Burg...Parker Miller, Karson Snyder, Brenton Strange And Kam White...I'm guessing you mentioned those names a lot tonight on your Broadcast 93Bulldog...Strange (32)-Plays for AAU WV Wildcats-WVs Version of All-Ohio Red-he sat out some tonight due to Fouls but it's obvious he is a STUD-And only a Sophomore-Better at Football I hear...Athens will learn from this one-Firing on all Cylinders soon with everyone back and Healthy and a Young and Athletic bench starting to get comfortable at the Varsity Level...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I wonder what position Strange plays in football? He's too tall to be a tailback, a little big to be a WR ... QB? TE?

hoopsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by hoopsfan »

Funny to see some comments above about Parkersburg not being that good. That team is very good. They have everything a team would want-speed, athleticism, ballhandling, shooting, size, and depth. They are one of the most talented teams around and would matchup with Vinton County, Warren, Fairland, Fairfield Union, and others. The Big Reds have two losses---one to West Virginia #1 Capital and the other to big school George Washington. The Big Reds have a tough schedule and will probably lose other games, but don't let records fool you.

Athens is a good team but are not at Parkersburg's level. Warren plays Parkersburg next week and it would be a huge win for the Warriors. However, as far someone who has seen all of these teams several times, Parkersburg would be a favorite against Warren, Waterford, and Athens.

I have seen Vinton County and Fairland and both are excellent teams. Parkersburg would matchup well with them. It would be nice to see those teams get to play, but is not going to happen of course. Just from a basketball fan's point of view, Parkersburg is on the same level of both Vinton and Fairland.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Same level skill wise, but much deeper, which is expected given the size of the school. Comparing Parkersburg to Fairland or Waterford is kinda silly. They are not just a D1 school, they are big D1 with an enrollment of over 1,800 students.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Regardless this was a good game for Athens to schedule, minus VC the league is very weak for a DII school, so a good challenge is a good thing.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

93Bulldog wrote:I wonder what position Strange plays in football? He's too tall to be a tailback, a little big to be a WR ... QB? TE?
He played WR this year, at least against Warren.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dang, i'd hate to be a corner trying to cover that kid. Lol

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

This is all pure "speculation"...But I would have liked to have seen this game played after we would have played Marietta then Meigs-the way the Schedule was supposed to have played out. Marietta a Reschedule now for 2/11 and Meigs postponed for Weather. My "Crystal Ball" says Athens beats Marietta on Jan 3rd coming off of the LE win on Dec 27th...Then cools Meigs down from their at that time 6 game win streak on
On Jan 6th...Athens has momentum and healthy and Firing on all cylinders going into the P-Burg game...Only in a perfect world-Lol...I'm not saying necessarily they even get the Win-I'm just thinking it's a Whole different Ball Game...P-Burg and Warren will be a Dandy...

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

hoopsfan wrote:Funny to see some comments above about Parkersburg not being that good. That team is very good. They have everything a team would want-speed, athleticism, ballhandling, shooting, size, and depth.
And don't forget, coaching. They have coaching. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

In a better world, athens would have had nick lutz last night too. Lol

His length & athleticism would have helped!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ground Buck wrote:
hoopsfan wrote:Funny to see some comments above about Parkersburg not being that good. That team is very good. They have everything a team would want-speed, athleticism, ballhandling, shooting, size, and depth.
There is no doubt you had a problem with coach skinner judging by your posts over the last few years. But why do you take jabs at coach Cozart? You have done so on more than one occasion.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

93Bulldog wrote:
Ground Buck wrote:
There is no doubt you had a problem with coach skinner judging by your posts over the last few years. But why do you take jabs at coach Cozart? You have done so on more than one occasion.
I never mentioned Cozart in my post above. In a previous post from a few weeks ago I simply agreed with others that as a first year coach he had to be overwhelmed by such a huge game that early in the season. So maybe you are reading into my posts due to your insecurities you may have about him? But don't try make my posts something they are not. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote:In a better world, athens would have had nick lutz last night too. Lol

His length & athleticism would have helped!
No doubt Nick Lutz has proven himself to be a consistent scoring option "on the court" so far this season. That being said Will "Off the Court" issues continue?? And this be a Distraction for the Team...I don't think so-and in my Heart of Hearts I hope not-strictly for this Young Man and it being his Senior season....We never truly know what is going on Inside a persons mind-what problems they are dealing with-Personal Demons-Etc....Good Luck to him and the Bulldogs

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

That's fine ground buck. Perhaps I just assumed from all your negative posts prior to this year were carrying over. I have no insecurities about coach cozart, he's doing a fine job. Honestly, I thought maybe you werent aware athens made a coaching change. I'm certain you know now though so going forward there wont be any mis understandings. Lol

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

93Bulldog wrote:That's fine ground buck. Perhaps I just assumed from all your negative posts prior to this year were carrying over. I have no insecurities about coach cozart, he's doing a fine job. Honestly, I thought maybe you werent aware athens made a coaching change. I'm certain you know now though so going forward there wont be any mis understandings. Lol
No problem Dog. As I mentioned I did refer to a "first year coach" in my previous post so I figured it was clear that I knew of the coaching change. I wish Athens, and their first year coach, well in the future. As I have said over the past few years a chair could coach that talent. So hopefully you are correct in that "he's doing a fine job" and can coach to the level of talent they have. :mrgreen:

hannancoach
JV Team

Post by hannancoach »

I just wish we hadnt dominated Athens so bad long ago because now Logan and Vinton County wont even consider playing us.

Return to “Boys Basketball”