Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #6

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #6

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote:New Boston wins over Northwest & Rose Hill KY ... with a near miss this week vs St Joe 51-55 ...
Green wins over Covenent WVa & Rock Hill ...

... I should have Northwest & Whiteoak switched around as Northwest's only W is over Whiteoak ... I'll fix that one ...

Whiteoak though has a better win than Northwest as they beat D3 Clermont Northeastern by 15 on the road and then lost to D2 Batavia (7-3) by 3...neutral site
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Pfloyd, I've been following your elite 8 for years now and I'm pretty sure that this is the first time Vinton County has sat at the top of the heap. Hard to believe with all the talented teams that have come and gone over the last 10+ years, but I'm pretty sure that I'm correct. Hopefully VC can keep rolling and stay in that #1 position! See you Tuesday!

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

Good job Pfloyd on the rankings. Vinton County could run the table this year. For sure you took the pressure off the Chieftains . We will leave the kids and the coon dogs at home Tuesday so you and Mrs. Floyd can sit close to Ma and I .

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Wow!!! Ole 93bulldog must have sent a whole case of popcorn and twizlers ,lol.

By the way who is the best win for VC?

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

93Bulldog wrote:Can we get an alternative Elite 8 with Morgan, Fort Frye & Meadowbrook?

I'm curious where you'd have those teams ranked versus our district.
Saw that Morgan (West Muskingum) & Meadowbrook (Steubenville) each lost their first game of the season over the weekend. Morgan plays Athens & Meadowbrook back to back in February, maybe the last week of the regular season?

Fort Frye & Morgan used to play each other in the first game of the year for several years. Would've been an interesting match up this season.

Dragon's Lair
Riding the Bench

Post by Dragon's Lair »

donaldtrump wrote:I agree totally with pfloyd's rankings.....Vinton should go ahead of a fairland team who not only lost to Hilliard Bradley but lost convincingly by 22 points...Vinton County has a really good team...A team I think would beat Fairland in my opinion....Would love to see both these teams make this game possible.....Also don't count Athens out against Fairland unless their missing players or something.....Fairlands not invincible and if their not hitting 3's very beatable by a lot of teams.......
You obviously have not seen Fairland play if you think we live and die by the 3. I don't have a problem with Fairland dropping in the rankings, even tho people on here see the final of losing by 22 but have no idea how the game went. Down 3 at the end of 1. Down 6 at halftime. And down 2 a couple min into the 3rd. Then HB went on a run that we couldn't answer and got down 10 or 12. Game over from there. You can't turn them over or speed them up and they are very disciplined on offense and can run clock and take care of the ball. So the 22 point spread is a little deceiving, but it is what it is. There isn't another southeastern ohio team that can beat them either. Especially up there. I beg to differ about fairland being very beatable by a lot of teams. It takes something special to get us. I'd play that game every year cause it makes us go get better. Our eye is on the big prize in Columbus and not trying to stay atop of the southeastern ohio rankings.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Truth&fiction wrote:Pfloyd does good work but I have to look at Athens . They have played only really one quality team and that was VC and got beaten pretty bad . Yes they did play LE on Athens Floor but LE is struggling . VC WILL HAVE THEIR WAY with Athens . I will say Athens has one very good player but that is not enough . Hats off to Fairland in traveling to Big town to play some big boy basketball .
Not to take anything away from VC-We all realize they are Exceptional-but you will have that with a Seasoned Head Coach and players who have been through thick and thin together over the years...With that being said-As far as Athens goes-Not near enough credit is being thrown to 1st Year Coach Mickey Cozart-He is 6-1 coaching a team that has had a limited bench and even his starting 5 have only played together in limited capacity as a Team over the last couple of years and under a different head coach at that. He had 2 Games under his Belt when he had to Face VC. As he gets more experienced and the players start to Mesh and Assume roles and get to working his System I have a feeling Athens will be a Force come Tournament time. Case in point the most recent win against a "hot at that time LE team"-4 players for Athens were in Double Digits. Yes they have some Huge Non-Conference games coming up-going to win some-going to lose some-But Most definitely and importantly they will LEARN from them all...
Last edited by VisionQuest on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Dragon's Lair wrote:
donaldtrump wrote:I agree totally with pfloyd's rankings.....Vinton should go ahead of a fairland team who not only lost to Hilliard Bradley but lost convincingly by 22 points...Vinton County has a really good team...A team I think would beat Fairland in my opinion....Would love to see both these teams make this game possible.....Also don't count Athens out against Fairland unless their missing players or something.....Fairlands not invincible and if their not hitting 3's very beatable by a lot of teams.......
You obviously have not seen Fairland play if you think we live and die by the 3. I don't have a problem with Fairland dropping in the rankings, even tho people on here see the final of losing by 22 but have no idea how the game went. Down 3 at the end of 1. Down 6 at halftime. And down 2 a couple min into the 3rd. Then HB went on a run that we couldn't answer and got down 10 or 12. Game over from there. You can't turn them over or speed them up and they are very disciplined on offense and can run clock and take care of the ball. So the 22 point spread is a little deceiving, but it is what it is. There isn't another southeastern ohio team that can beat them either. Especially up there. I beg to differ about fairland being very beatable by a lot of teams. It takes something special to get us. I'd play that game every year cause it makes us go get better. Our eye is on the big prize in Columbus and not trying to stay atop of the southeastern ohio rankings.
49-31 after 3.

Huge challenge obviously for Fairland and hopefully seeing that talent will help you guys through the regionals.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Lets just see how the next few weeks pan out . You still have to play good competition to go far and be a force in the tournament. If they pickup some key victories your point will be well taken. D2 tourney will pit some of the best teams against each other early on . Fairland Playing HB is the real deal . As far as the Athens coach he may prove to be a good coach but his inexperience should not be an excuse .

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Truth&fiction wrote:Lets just see how the next few weeks pan out . You still have to play good competition to go far and be a force in the tournament. If they pickup some key victories your point will be well taken. D2 tourney will pit some of the best teams against each other early on . Fairland Playing HB is the real deal . As far as the Athens coach he may prove to be a good coach but his inexperience should not be an excuse .
I would classify his "inexperience" more so a Factor than an Excuse. The same way I would classify the Athens players lack of playing together as a Team in limited capacity a Factor and Add in a new system with a new Head Coach-yes these are Factors-Not Excuses. These are important Factors when you put them up early in the season against a Head Coach who has been around for a Long time and has players who have played together for years and made a great run last year-it truly is a Well-Oiled machine . Athens simply does not have that right now, but are working on it game by game and headed in the right direction by the sign of their 6-1 Mark...

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Your point is well taken . Sorry if I got off topic . I'll be checking your post in the upcoming weeks . Good luck to your Bull Dogs.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Truth&fiction wrote:Your point is well taken . Sorry if I got off topic . I'll be checking your post in the upcoming weeks . Good luck to your Bull Dogs.
Thank You...Sometimes we don't know the behind the scenes factors these Teams are dealing with-we don't have access to the Real Story...These open forums somewhat and sometimes allow us to Glean what we will from the Info given. Some of info is dead on, some of it is dead wrong...Nonetheless, it all gives us something to talk about, something to agree on or sometimes we just have to agree to Disagree...

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

Meigs at 28th Jackson 35th Gallia Academy 36th Both beat Meigs by 17

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Another great post post full of great information, I like VC moving up but feel that Fairland is still the cream at the top as the year goes on, Would love to see The Trojans put one on em though!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Too bad we couldn't have Athens vs Warren at 6:00 and Vinton County vs Fairland at 8:00 at the beasts of the southeast!

:)

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

93Bulldog wrote:Too bad we couldn't have Athens vs Warren at 6:00 and Vinton County vs Fairland at 8:00 at the beasts of the southeast!

:)

I would gladly pay 20 bucks to see them two games!!

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Would love to see a Vinton County Fairland matchup. Having only seen Fairland in a scrimmage setting I would like to see how Vinton County matches up with them. In my opinion Vinton county would win in a very competitive game.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

george wrote:Meigs at 28th Jackson 35th Gallia Academy 36th Both beat Meigs by 17
And if they were to play Meigs now they would be beat. Meigs was still looking for an identity and who the starters were gonna be the first 4 games. This is not the same Meigs team that was seen in weeks 1-4.

First 4 games we averaged 46 points a game, last 7 games we have averaged 68 points a game.

Will it be enough to compete with Athens or VC, Not sure, time will tell. People don't realize we have 3 boys that can score in the 20's and a few that can also be in double digits as well. If all the of our scorers are on, we will compete with the big dogs.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

tvc_fan wrote:
george wrote:Meigs at 28th Jackson 35th Gallia Academy 36th Both beat Meigs by 17
And if they were to play Meigs now they would be beat. Meigs was still looking for an identity and who the starters were gonna be the first 4 games. This is not the same Meigs team that was seen in weeks 1-4.

First 4 games we averaged 46 points a game, last 7 games we have averaged 68 points a game.

Will it be enough to compete with Athens or VC, Not sure, time will tell. People don't realize we have 3 boys that can score in the 20's and a few that can also be in double digits as well. If all the of our scorers are on, we will compete with the big dogs.
If you recall last year I believe Athens started out in the same boat with an 0-4 record. They righted the ship and made a decent run until losing Griffin Lutz to injury in the 14th game of the season in the thrilling Win at VC. I am anxious to See if Your Marauders will shock us all and pull an upset on VC on 1/13...Good Luck

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Let me preface this post by saying - Vinton County is very, VERY good! Not only are they the favorite in the D2 Southeast District, I think they have a legitimate chance to make it to the State Tournament.

With that being said, it's tough for Fairland to drop after the loss to Hilliard Bradley.. Those who haven't traveled that direction any doesn't quite understand just how good that team is. They have two legitimate D1 players in Isaiah Speelman and Braden Norris, and potentially another in freshman Matt Allocco.

This was big time scheduling by Fairland and I give them major props for it. Perhaps the loss by 22 is what makes it look somewhat bad, but trust me, Fairland wouldn't see a team that stacked til the Division 3 State Final (if even there).

Watching SE Ohio basketball

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”