Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #5 - Happy New Year Edition ...

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #5 - Happy New Year Edition ...

Post by 93Bulldog »

LetsGoPSU wrote:Just looked in the trash can, found an empty bottle of Captain Morgan,and a Rutgers crying towel.
LOL

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #5 - Happy New Year Edition ...

Post by bbjunky81 »

Oaktown wrote:
Dragon's Lair wrote:
Oaktown wrote:And again those Mighty underrated Oaks from Oak Hill take care of business tonight against Wellston and are the only undefeated team sitting outside the top 8. Not only are they the only undefeated outside the 8, but they have more wins than anyone....currently sitting at (10-0). The only other undefeated teams are currently at #1 and #2.
I want everyone who is reading this post, right now to get up, walk into your kitchen, take a look into the trash can. Look really deep in there cause that's where you will find Oak Hill's non-conference schedule....
Obviously a Fairland fan that is still bitter about the scare Oak Hill gave them in the post season last year. What was that again, a 4 point win by Fairland? This is a different Oak Hill team my friend. I hope Fairland brings their A game to the tournament this year. I would hate for them to stumble and get knocked off by a team with a trash non-conference schedule.
Come on.. as an outsider looking in, I will be the first to say - yes Oak Hill is very solid. Norm has done a great job with his kids this year.. But are you really mad about his non conference comment? Let's be serious, their non conference schedule is as soft as Charmin toilet paper. There's no reason to church it up, it is what it is. If they run the table and go undefeated after facing Burg x2, South Webster x2, Waverly x2 etc, then absolutely! They deserve a spot. But right now other than Eastern Pike (who's now struggling a bit) and Waverly, it's not like they've beat anyone worth mentioning.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

Who's mad? Call it what you want to call it partner. I have no problem being the underdog, low expectation high reward. Dragonslair seems to be the one bothered by my comments. This guy trolls all of my posts. Fairland is the top dog right now. I'm not sure why the little Oaks with their trash schedule would get so much attention from him....that is unless it's like I said and he's a bit nervous considering how last years contest came down to the wire. We went into that game as the underdog as well. ;)

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

Honestly I don't have a problem with the top 8 spots, I think they are all justified (except maybe Waterford). I do think Oak Hill deserves a 9 or 10 spot just outside the bubble (for now). I have a hard time justifying teams that aren't even .500 being ranked that high. I realize their schedules are tougher, but if you can't win enough games to have a winning season then it really doesn't matter who you play. How do you rank the best team with a losing record? Just let that sink in a minute. A loss here or there to a good team is one thing, a (3-4) record is another (and I believe Logan lost again last night). I say you drop those teams down and reward the kids that are winning games and make these teams climb back up the ladder as they get back on track. Outside of that, I think PFloyd does a great job!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Logan has wins over Fairfield Union (their only loss) and Unioto, they deserve whatever spot pfloyd has them in, especially considering the fact that he's seen these teams play. If you haven't seen all of the teams that he has play, then you won't be able to make as an informed decision on a ranking like he has.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The Portsmouth Trojans beat a good, quick South Point team last night at PHS 56-46. The Trojans had as much as an 18 point lead in the 3rd quarter, but the Pointers rallied to within 10 with about 4 minutes left. PHS played a solid defensive game. Kendal Reynolds was honored for reaching the 1,000 point milestone, which he achieved in Florida. He entered last night's game with 1,006 points. Mike Malone was also honored for being the KSA tournament MVP.

The Trojans are now 5-2 on the season, and have wins over the #5 and #21 teams. Portsmouth travels to Chesapeake on Friday, then at Fairland next Tuesday.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Have a lot of faith in Pfoyd because he has seen most teams play at least once . Logans schedule is almost hateful and but they have been in all of their games . I understand people trying to move their team up but the reality is Logan is better than 3-5 and has beaten the only top 2 teams in Pfloyd top 8 elite that they have faced . They will also get to play VC(twice) ,Warren (twice) and a couple others close to breaking the 8. If they loose these games then Pfloyd will toss them . Play Big Boy Basketball that tells you where you stand . Always enjoy Pfloyd post and rankings and they are the all we can go on in SEO . Every year he has The top programs with the top coachs( Unioto ,VC Warren) in his elite 8 and that comes from him doing his home work.

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

Truth&fiction wrote:Have a lot of faith in Pfoyd because he has seen most teams play at least once . Logans schedule is almost hateful and but they have been in all of their games . I understand people trying to move their team up but the reality is Logan is better than 3-5 and has beaten the only top 2 teams in Pfloyd top 8 elite that they have faced . They will also get to play VC(twice) ,Warren (twice) and a couple others close to breaking the 8. If they loose these games then Pfloyd will toss them . Play Big Boy Basketball that tells you where you stand . Always enjoy Pfloyd post and rankings and they are the all we can go on in SEO . Every year he has The top programs with the top coachs( Unioto ,VC Warren) in his elite 8 and that comes from him doing his home work.
I just wanted to reply to your comment on playing a "Big Boy Basketball" schedule. I could agree with this scheduling theory you guys are throwing out there, but there's only one problem with that...a team called Waterford. I'm going to throw some stats out and please correct me if I'm wrong. I have them beating #72 (0-10) Fed Hock, #61 (1-6) South Gallia, #57 (1-6) Miller, #44 (3-3) Wahama and getting beat by #19 Portsmouth. Please let me know if I am missing something here.

It doesn't get much worse than that. At least the Oaks have wins over #16 (8-1) Waverly and #17 (6-2) Eastern Pike.

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

The Chieftain Fans will accept what ever rankings that Pfloyd post. He does a great job on the game recaps and stats, puts a lot of miles on the road . One thing for sure the seasons not over yet and we all can agree we enjoy High School Basketball.Good luck to all the SEO Teams and stay injury free.

Dragon's Lair
Riding the Bench

Post by Dragon's Lair »

Oaktown wrote:
Dragon's Lair wrote:
Oaktown wrote:And again those Mighty underrated Oaks from Oak Hill take care of business tonight against Wellston and are the only undefeated team sitting outside the top 8. Not only are they the only undefeated outside the 8, but they have more wins than anyone....currently sitting at (10-0). The only other undefeated teams are currently at #1 and #2.
I want everyone who is reading this post, right now to get up, walk into your kitchen, take a look into the trash can. Look really deep in there cause that's where you will find Oak Hill's non-conference schedule....
Obviously a Fairland fan that is still bitter about the scare Oak Hill gave them in the post season last year. What was that again, a 4 point win by Fairland? This is a different Oak Hill team my friend. I hope Fairland brings their A game to the tournament this year. I would hate for them to stumble and get knocked off by a team with a trash non-conference schedule.
You have 21 posts. There are guys on here that have 800 posts that have been talking basketball way longer than you or I. I'm not disrespecting Oak Hill players or their coaching staff. Norm does a great job and is one of the best coaches in southern Ohio if not Ohio itself. The Carroll brothers are very good players and the Hale kid is a coaches dream. I'm not saying they can't beat Fairland or won't beat Fairland at some point this year. What I'm saying is that some of the people that post on this site aren't stupid. Don't get on here pissing and moaning about your ranking and disrespecting a guy that travels around southern Ohio on his own dime and puts a lot of time and effort into those rankings to make this site a lot of fun, when the Oaks haven't put their record on the line by playing anybody worth bragging about. If the Oaks played Fairland or Vinton County or Athens or Unioto's schedule they would not be undefeated. You can't help the conference teams you have to play when they are down but you can challenge your kids with a good non-conference schedule and put your record on the line. Fairland will not go undefeated this year and may not make it through the weekend without a loss but I'd rather play our schedule with blemishes than yours going undefeated. And as far as being bitter about last year, why would I be bitter about a win. Weather its 1 point or 20 points the Dragons ended your season. And like I've said before on here,last year means nothing for this year. Teams aren't the same even if they are the same kids. Teams are even different at the end of the season than they are at the beginning. Good luck to the Oaks and thx for all you do Pfloyd.

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

I agree with some statements on this thread about Waterford......I looked at their schedule......they prob will not lose another game.....but the one tough team they played...Portsmouth....they lose......

I am not the authority on all the area teams like Floyd.......and he does an AMAZING job with his rankings.......but the one team that to me.....IMO....that does not belong in top 8.....is Waterford

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Waterford was without three players vs portsmouth, two of them starters.

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

Thank you Bulldog.....I know nothing about them, just record and opponent......not having two starters and only losing to Portsmouth by 3 tells me they would have won that game with their regular line-up.....

I just hear people talking about strength of schedule, and when I looked at Waterfords.....I didn't see that tough of a schedule.....best of luck to all TVC teams the rest of the way....

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

In regards to waterford & oak hill. I have seen both. Waterford is basically Oak Hill, but with size & depth. And, they are older, mostly seniors compared to the junior dominated Oaks team. Both are talented, no doubt. But if you haven't seen Waterford play, think of Oak Hill plus a couple 6'4 post men & 3 or 4 kids on the bench almost equally as good as the players starting.

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

Just wondering if everything is ok in PFloyd land. Saw him at the VC/Chilli game Tuesday and haven't seen his napkins stats post of the game. PFloyd knows his SEO basketball. He travels and watches all the top teams. Sometimes, records don't really dictate the talent on a team. I would have never thought that Chillicothe would be 3-5 after watching them play Tuesday. I know teams go all out when they play an undefeated team. Just as in all sports. I saw a post that talked about the amount of posts people make on this site and whether you know what you are talking about. I had to make another account due to getting locked out somehow. Been posting on this site for 5-6 years. It's ok to agree to disagree. Keep it positive and remember it's all about these kids that we love to watch play high school hoops!! I go to every VC game, home and away. Love to watch every game I can when it comes to Convo time. I'm just a fan of high school hoops.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote:In regards to waterford & oak hill. I have seen both. Waterford is basically Oak Hill, but with size & depth. And, they are older, mostly seniors compared to the junior dominated Oaks team. Both are talented, no doubt. But if you haven't seen Waterford play, think of Oak Hill plus a couple 6'4 post men & 3 or 4 kids on the bench almost equally as good as the players starting.
I wish they had a super sectional for SE District.

On one side you have a very good Waterford and a pretty good D4 Trimble.

On the other side you have Eastern Pike, Western, Notre Dame, Clay, Fairfield, South Webster and Peebles.

It appears the one sectional might have 7-8 teams as good as the #2 of the other sectional...and better than the #3. Good to see the SOC 1 so solid the last few years...and they are getting better. SHAC is down a bit the last couple years but Peebles, Fairfield and Manchester will compete well and if avoid #4/#5 spot will compete well at districts as well.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:In regards to waterford & oak hill. I have seen both. Waterford is basically Oak Hill, but with size & depth. And, they are older, mostly seniors compared to the junior dominated Oaks team. Both are talented, no doubt. But if you haven't seen Waterford play, think of Oak Hill plus a couple 6'4 post men & 3 or 4 kids on the bench almost equally as good as the players starting.
I wish they had a super sectional for SE District.

On one side you have a very good Waterford and a pretty good D4 Trimble.

On the other side you have Eastern Pike, Western, Notre Dame, Clay, Fairfield, South Webster and Peebles.

It appears the one sectional might have 7-8 teams as good as the #2 of the other sectional...and better than the #3. Good to see the SOC 1 so solid the last few years...and they are getting better. SHAC is down a bit the last couple years but Peebles, Fairfield and Manchester will compete well and if avoid #4/#5 spot will compete well at districts as well.
Agreed. Wouldn't mind seeing that same set up in D2 as well. Logan sectional seems to be a tad bit heavier than Southeastern.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

trojandave wrote:The Portsmouth Trojans beat a good, quick South Point team last night at PHS 56-46. The Trojans had as much as an 18 point lead in the 3rd quarter, but the Pointers rallied to within 10 with about 4 minutes left. PHS played a solid defensive game. Kendal Reynolds was honored for reaching the 1,000 point milestone, which he achieved in Florida. He entered last night's game with 1,006 points. Mike Malone was also honored for being the KSA tournament MVP.

The Trojans are now 5-2 on the season, and have wins over the #5 and #21 teams. Portsmouth travels to Chesapeake on Friday, then at Fairland next Tuesday.

... trojandave - this is a good "W" over a very good South Point squad Tayshaun Fox and Elijah Adams are one of the best guard combinations in SEO ...Congratulations to Kendal Reynolds on reaching the 1000 pt mark and joining an elite club in the 1000 point club ...

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

93Bulldog wrote:Waterford was without three players vs portsmouth, two of them starters.

Portsmouth was without a couple players also ...one starter who is one of our biggest rebounders ,daniel Jordan . and playing our first game of the season.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

So according to your last few sentences they should have beaten a bad Portsmouth team anyway? Even with out two starters?

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”