SOC realignment

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Re: SOC realignment

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Omega wrote:I know this is a non starter, as conference gold balls are coveted in Ohio high school football, but is it time for the OHSAA to consider district play?
When you say district play, are you meaning like Kentucky's districts? If so, I think it would make things worse because a lot of districts would require more travel even if divisions remain the same. I feel like Kentucky would be better off with conferences like Ohio and West Virginia that are more geographical and consist of teams around the same division, most teams in northeast KY are D3 and D4 based on their divisions except Raceland and Fairview (near Ashland), who would be perfect size-wise for the OVC, but their district is with Paintsville (hour and a half away) and the next closest school their size in Kentucky is either Pikeville or Bracken County around 2 hours away.

Districts are good when schools of similar size are close to each other, but when they are not, travel can be a nightmare. It seems like for smaller schools, the more rural, the better travel is, but for larger schools, travel is much better for city schools. The 6 division setup though could be reason for larger trips in KY. I have always thought the divisions in KY need decreased to 5, and decrease the number of playoff teams to 16 per division or 2 teams per district with 5-6 teams in a district rather than almost everyone make it; even winless teams. This got way off topic lol I guess to kind of keep it on topic.

Division IV, District 13: Circleville, Gallia Academy, Logan Elm, Meigs, Waverly, Washington C.H., Unioto
Division V, District 11: Fairland, Ironton, Oak Hill, River Valley, Rock Hill, South Point, Wellston
Division V, District 12: Minford, Northwest, Piketon, Portsmouth, West, Wheelersburg, Zane Trace
Division VI, District 12: Adena, Cheaspeake, Dawson-Bryant, Huntington-Ross, Paint Valley, Southeastern, Valley
Division VII, District 12: East, Eastern-Pike, Green, Manchester, Notre Dame, South Gallia, Symmes Valley
Top 2 Teams in a District make the playoffs. Most districts have 6-7 teams per district with 16 districts per division. Bolded teams represent the SOC football teams. Not a fan of this, but was certainly an interesting thought.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

osu 77 wrote:
Crab's Brother wrote:
osu 77 wrote:I think the SOC is in trouble the next couple years. The league should have voted Ironton and Portsmouth in when they had a chance.
The SOC has thrived without either school and they will continue to do so. Ironton and Portsmouth need the SOC a whole helluva lot more than the other way around.
I disagree there are not enough SOCII teams in the league anymore.
Agreed Crab, the SOC can have Ironton and PHS at any time they would want them. Both schools would accept invites before the ink is even dry on the contract.

Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded! ~Lawrence M. Krauss
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

GoBucks1047 wrote:
Omega wrote:I know this is a non starter, as conference gold balls are coveted in Ohio high school football, but is it time for the OHSAA to consider district play?
When you say district play, are you meaning like Kentucky's districts? If so, I think it would make things worse because a lot of districts would require more travel even if divisions remain the same. I feel like Kentucky would be better off with conferences like Ohio and West Virginia that are more geographical and consist of teams around the same division, most teams in northeast KY are D3 and D4 based on their divisions except Raceland and Fairview (near Ashland), who would be perfect size-wise for the OVC, but their district is with Paintsville (hour and a half away) and the next closest school their size in Kentucky is either Pikeville or Bracken County around 2 hours away.

Districts are good when schools of similar size are close to each other, but when they are not, travel can be a nightmare. It seems like for smaller schools, the more rural, the better travel is, but for larger schools, travel is much better for city schools. The 6 division setup though could be reason for larger trips in KY. I have always thought the divisions in KY need decreased to 5, and decrease the number of playoff teams to 16 per division or 2 teams per district with 5-6 teams in a district rather than almost everyone make it; even winless teams. This got way off topic lol I guess to kind of keep it on topic.

Division IV, District 13: Circleville, Gallia Academy, Logan Elm, Meigs, Waverly, Washington C.H., Unioto
Division V, District 11: Fairland, Ironton, Oak Hill, River Valley, Rock Hill, South Point, Wellston
Division V, District 12: Minford, Northwest, Piketon, Portsmouth, West, Wheelersburg, Zane Trace
Division VI, District 12: Adena, Cheaspeake, Dawson-Bryant, Huntington-Ross, Paint Valley, Southeastern, Valley
Division VII, District 12: East, Eastern-Pike, Green, Manchester, Notre Dame, South Gallia, Symmes Valley
Top 2 Teams in a District make the playoffs. Most districts have 6-7 teams per district with 16 districts per division. Bolded teams represent the SOC football teams. Not a fan of this, but was certainly an interesting thought.
Kentucky or South Carolina's system prompted my thought. Geography is always be a problem but at least district play would resolve most scheduling issues and playoff qualification would be based on head to head to competition.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

The Ohio Playoff system is fine. Only thing I would like to see is some type of bonus for strength of schedule. Right now you get no points for loosing to the best team in the state by one point. That needs corrected.

Northwest and Oak Hill should be made to play in the SOC II or go independent.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Westfan wrote:The Ohio Playoff system is fine. Only thing I would like to see is some type of bonus for strength of schedule. Right now you get no points for loosing to the best team in the state by one point. That needs corrected.

Good luck with SOS on high school teams. The amount of work put into that would be astronomical to factor in.

Oak Hill could possibly jump ship and leave the SOC, leaving Northwest dangling between the conferences.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

js7_22 wrote:
Westfan wrote:The Ohio Playoff system is fine. Only thing I would like to see is some type of bonus for strength of schedule. Right now you get no points for loosing to the best team in the state by one point. That needs corrected.

Good luck with SOS on high school teams. The amount of work put into that would be astronomical to factor in.

Oak Hill could possibly jump ship and leave the SOC, leaving Northwest dangling between the conferences.
I can see Oak Hill to the OVC along with River Valley or Raceland, but as long as Oak hill plays football in SOC I, I don't see Oak Hill leaving the SOC, and they don't join the OVC by themselves. River Valley returning would be nice, but without divisions, which I don't think the OVC wants to expand to begin with, I think River Valley stays in the TVC. If the OVC did ever expand, I think they take Oak Hill and River Valley, split into 2 5-team divisions with protected crossover rivalries, and play a 7-8 game conference schedule in football and 14-16 game conference schedule in other sports.

I think Raceland realistically could play in the OVC and their KY district games since they only have 2 district games in football and 6 district games for other sports in a 30 game season, but football would be the hardest for them as they play larger KY schools in their backyard and win at least in football, so if Raceland joined, I think it'd have to be non-football sports, which the OVC would probably want all sports to join, so not likely unless they want 12 for non-football and add Ironton St. Joe (doesn't have football) and then do 10 teams for football and play either 7-8 conference games or a round-robin. Again, unlikely any of this would happen.

The SOC in an instance where Oak Hill left could add Ironton St. Joe and move South Webster down to SOC I to make 10 for SOC I and 6 for SOC II non-football and leave football as it would be (6 in SOC I and 5 in SOC II). Then maybe see if they can take Portsmouth and Ironton for SOC II. It could be that or just go for Ironton or Portsmouth for SOC II to replace Oak Hill to bring non-football sports back to 8 and even football at 6-6 (SOC I-SOC II). I doubt any of what I say would actually happen, but it's interesting to think about what could happen.

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

Mad-Dogg wrote:What exactly is a club team
i was wondering the same thing. i graduated from south webster so that shows my high school football knowledge lol

you will never catch a red light in webster!!
GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

swbaseballfan wrote:
i was wondering the same thing. i graduated from south webster so that shows my high school football knowledge lol
This was the closest definitation I could find under OHSAA in their general sports regulations. Hope it helps.
7.1) Definition of a Non-School Program or Team – A non-school (non-interscholastic) program, also known as a non-school team, is one in which a student-athlete participates in team play or as an individual, and that program or team is not under the direct or indirect control of the OHSAA member school. This means the OHSAA member school does not sponsor (one that is Board of Education- or other governing board-approved), supervise or have financial responsibility for that non-school program or team.

The non-school program or team may be composed of participants in grades 7 through 12 and may be located within or operate outside the OHSAA member school. Admission may be charged and fees or expenses may be collected for training and/or competitions sponsored by that non-school program or team. It is not necessary for a coach to be present or for instruction to be given for a program or team to be considered a non-school program or team.

Examples of or names associated with non-school programs or teams are: church, intramural, rec (recreation), YMCA, CYO, AAU, USAVB, USSF, USASwimming, all-star, club, non-interscholastic or any combination of players involved in team play.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

GoBucks1047 wrote:
swbaseballfan wrote:
This was the closest definitation I could find under OHSAA in their general sports regulations. Hope it helps.
7.1) Definition of a Non-School Program or Team – A non-school (non-interscholastic) program, also known as a non-school team, is one in which a student-athlete participates in team play or as an individual, and that program or team is not under the direct or indirect control of the OHSAA member school. This means the OHSAA member school does not sponsor (one that is Board of Education- or other governing board-approved), supervise or have financial responsibility for that non-school program or team.

The non-school program or team may be composed of participants in grades 7 through 12 and may be located within or operate outside the OHSAA member school. Admission may be charged and fees or expenses may be collected for training and/or competitions sponsored by that non-school program or team. It is not necessary for a coach to be present or for instruction to be given for a program or team to be considered a non-school program or team.

Examples of or names associated with non-school programs or teams are: church, intramural, rec (recreation), YMCA, CYO, AAU, USAVB, USSF, USASwimming, all-star, club, non-interscholastic or any combination of players involved in team play.
works for me

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

sounds like a good thing, then more kids can play that might not have been able to

you will never catch a red light in webster!!
Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Post by Jeep-ster »

Oak Hill was in OVC from 1954 to 1984. I know this may not go over well but there are other sports to take into account, :) I don't see any advantage to them leaving the SOC in these other sports. The SOC is pretty consistent as far as strength of teams.

ravensfan9
Riding the Bench

Post by ravensfan9 »

Was this ever determined? I know Oak Hill has threatened to leave, but have they formally asked them to move up?

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

I never heard that Oak Hill threatened to leave.

ravensfan9
Riding the Bench

Post by ravensfan9 »

They had threatened to leave and apply to the OVC, but so did Minford a few years ago.

Return to “Football”