What does the OVC have this year?

Bengalsrule
Waterboy

Re: What does the OVC have this year?

Post by Bengalsrule »

As far as gallia goes, I hope they have started to develop a program, I have watched them struggle the mast couple of yrs and always wondered how they were so dominant in vb and not more competitive in bob. Good luck ladies

PantherPride
Varsity

Post by PantherPride »

Bengalsrule wrote:man2man hit it pretty close, although i would say Ironton is better than point and rh. as for the teams not named fairland or Ironton its a pretty even lg. rh has some holes to fill, sp is has some holes also, with cg and peake being able to compete with them. portsmouth and gallia are at the bottom. not demeaning them just stating an opinion. ill go with it like this
1 fairland (no ovc losses)
2 ironton (2 ovc losses)
3 sp
4 rh
5 cg
6 p town
7 gallia
Hopefully everyone stays healthy and i too wish everyone luck
Where does Chesapeake finish?

PantherPride
Varsity

Post by PantherPride »

Hoop Wizard wrote:OVC rundown on teams- South Point will be very athletic and can run with anybody- Badgett is as good as it gets as far as competitiveness and unselfish play at the pg spot. I've really enjoyed watching her play since her freshman season and I look for big things from her and this team this year. I'm sure Coach Adams and their staff will have this group running and pressing this year. Excited to see my Pointers compete this year.
That being said- The top 2 teams are still The Lady Tigers and The Lady Dragons. Ironton may have lost Barrier but I still see them as the best defensive team in the league and the cupboard is not bare. Wise-Webb-Lewis-Keith-Lee-Arden- are a very physical and athletic group. If the Lady Dragons want the top spot they will have to handle The Lady Tigers. Ironton's m2m defense is 2nd to no one and defense wins games. Their relentless pressure will lead to points as well as wear teams down. Not sure about depth from there but I'd take this 6 any time.I don't see points being much of an issue for this team. I know Barrier will be hard to replace but look for Webb/Wise/Arden to have nice years. Much luck to Arden coming back from ACL and I truly believe she will have a definite impact on the league as a freshman. Unreal talent that also is unselfish and can play inside or outside. Webb can shoot with the best of them and Wise gets up and down the court and is tireless. OVC still runs through The Lady Tigers.
The Lady Dragons have another year's experience under their belt and should be right neck and neck with The Lady Tigers. Chapman obviously is the best shooter in the league and makes everyone on the team better. Their inside game should be better this year with an improving Wilson and Wagner should get more minutes this year. I feel like Wagner is the best true post player in the conference and could be the force to move them deeper into the playoffs. Simpson/Marshall/Warnock will all benefit from the emergence of a post presence. Looking forward to watching this team compete.
Rock Hill-Gallipolis-CG will all be better teams this year and not an easy out in their gyms. The lack of true point guards makes these 3 teams middle dwellers for now but don't be surprised if they upset one of the top teams-anything can happen on the road. Not sure about Portsmouth and I heard they lost their pg to Greenup and if that's the case they should again be at the bottom but not sure about them.
Predictions-
IRONTON-1A
FAIRLAND-1B
S.P.-2
R.H.-3
Gallia-4
C.G.-5
Portsmouth-6
Another indepth analysis that leaves out Chesapeake. Where do you think they'll finish?

Hoop Wizard
Waterboy

Post by Hoop Wizard »

Totally forgot to include The Lady Panthers when I wrote this and I truly apologize. I saw them in previews for the 1st time since last year. Not seeing many of their girls in the different summer programs and me living in the next community I often wonder why their girls program isn't on par with their boys. Having seen them Friday night and twice a year when my Pointers play them over the last few years they seem to be a typical Lady Panther team. The Murphy girl looks much improved over last year and they have a few nice pieces of the puzzle. Not sure of their off season program which helps teams gain chemistry and work ethic. I'd say they will be on par with a Rock Hill and Coal Grove but totally capable of an upset or 2. Tough to compete with the better teams without deep guard play and past the Hall girl not sure they have much depth. Good luck to the Panthers and all the OVC teams this year and my apologies for not including this on the original list. It was totally an oversight.

Truthhurts
Waterboy

Post by Truthhurts »

I went to the previews and watched every game. I kmow it's previews and nobody wants to show strength, but geez they all looked sloppy. Couldn't gauge Ironton at all because Portsmouth struggled to get the ball down the floor without even being pressed. They are in for a long year. The only close game was CG vs RH and it was sloppy to say the least. RH started strong but feel apart after a few minutes and CG had one player doing most of the work. She had 19 of 32 points. CG went on to win by 5. Fairland to no suprise looked the better than anybody else. Looked like they were playing about 80%.

Hoop Wizard
Waterboy

Post by Hoop Wizard »

OVC just not a strong girls basketball conference. Typically every year there is 1 or maybe 2 teams that are way ahead of the rest. I think it boils down to coaching- sometimes to build a PROGRAM you have to cut loose of some old habits and introduce change and have a system in place. I think Fairland and Ironton set the bar for this with their coaching staffs. Coach Adams does a good job also. North of us a little I think there is more of an emphasis on girls basketball. The SOC and SVC are typically stronger and it directly relates to good hires at the helm. From youth basketball up to Varsity basketball I think a coach has to make an impact. I know we have a pretty good youth system and over the years Fairland seems to have one as well as Ironton. It saddens me to go to a HS girls game and see parents complain about their kids playing time and their kid can't dribble with their off hand or execute some of the basic fundamentals that they ought to know by the time they reach HS.

Bengalsrule
Waterboy

Post by Bengalsrule »

As far as peake goes, they finish ahead of portsmouth and gallia. Have a chance to win against anyone in the ovc except fairland.

Hoop Wizard
Waterboy

Post by Hoop Wizard »

How'd OVC teams do in scrimmages as far as pre-season goes? Did your teams have a demanding pre-season schedule to ready you for the upcoming season? Love to get some input from others who get to see their own teams more often. Also saw in Tribune where Lady Dragon guard signed at Rio- awesome accomplishment! Also what girls in conference are getting college looks and at what level? I know the Arden girl is on the recruiting radar at the D1 level and has been for a few years. She is a major talent and moving forward her growth as a player I feel will be at the small forward or 2 guard at the D1 level. Also would maybe like to get a look at top players in conference by positions. I feel their are some really nice players in this league- maybe not a bunch of D1 talent but good basketball players that can play at some level of college basketball.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

The Arden girl is a fantastic ballplayer. She has good size and perimeter shooting skill but not alot of speed and quickness. Watched her alot over the years at Ironton and AAU. AAU though she generally played inside and was just more mature than kids her age. I definitely don't see guard or small forward and she may struggle some in High school as she won't be totally on another physical level now.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

She may not be as quick as some of the smaller point guards around here,but with her size,height and strength along with her skill level,though only a freshman,she will not be physically outmatched by older players.If she stays healthy,she will be the best player to ever come out of this area.

Hoop Wizard
Waterboy

Post by Hoop Wizard »

I totally agree. She has made noise on the AAU circuit for years- winning the AAU Nationals twice for sure and obviously being the best player on the floor in both of those tourneys. They may have won it 3 times but I'm not totally sure. Her and the Adkins girls from Wayne were fun to watch. Her skill set and physical abilities are off the charts for her age. Staying healthy is the key. She really worked hard to get back on the court after an ACL injury. I'd say at the HS level in this area she can play a multitude of positions. Her speed running full court is really a strength of hers. At her age her athleticism is off the charts. While not having pg quickness she still has 2 guard or small forward written all over her at the major D! level. Superb ball handler that will only get better and a post up game that will help her excel at the HS level. She can also shoot the 3 ball and with work that will only get better. I'd say it'll take her awhile to get back to playing confidently after an ACL injury as it does most people but if and when she's all the way back she will definitely be one of the best in this area. Getting letters from College coaches and being mentioned by scouting services for a few years now. Also a good kid to be around- best of luck Lexie!

KY.BUCKEYE
Freshman Team

Post by KY.BUCKEYE »

The Hannan girl for Ironton should be pretty good also!

G0 BuCKs
Hoop Wizard
Waterboy

Post by Hoop Wizard »

Top Players-Pointers-Badgett and Mundy- Mundy had a nice freshman campaign and Badgett has been a proven player since her freshman season. Kearns could have break out Jr. year.
Panthers- Hall and Murphy- I look for Murphy to have a nice senior season- Hall been a player since freshman season.
Redwomen- Darby and Scott- these 2 should own the boards this year. Hairston looked good also.
Hornets- Compliment can play- they need someone else to step up.
Dragons- Chapman-Wilson and all star cast- Chapman as good as it gets at pg position and as a shooter. Wilson improving. This team solid 1st 5.
Tigers-Webb and Arden- Webb can flat shoot it and Arden may be best ever at Ironton by the time she's done. Wise nice player also.
Trojans- Parker a force inside.
Blue Devils I have no clue. 1 team I only saw at Previews. Had a nice inside girl and a decent guard. Will know more on these girls soon.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Gallia girls are going to struggle at least early this season.. there is a lot of young talent on this team.. the question is going to do are you going to play your veteran girls who are better right now but don't have a lot of upside or play your young talent and let the veterans find a roll...

Hoop Wizard
Waterboy

Post by Hoop Wizard »

Looks like the middle of the pack in the OVC should be a dog fight till the end and fun to watch play out. All the middle teams are pretty even-RH/SP/CG/Peake are all extremely close and any one of them could even knock off one of the top 2-(Fairland or Ironton) on any given night. Portsmouth and Gallia do look improved but not quite up to the task as of yet. Teams that play the Peake have to deal with their slowing down the game and crashing the boards. SP is fun to watch and their guard play and shooting ability is what keeps them in games. They can play up-tempo but can't allow teams to get them in a possession by possession game or they will struggle. Hall from Chesy off to a good start to her Jr. year as is Compliment from CG. CG getting good production from Dolen/Crum/McKnight and looks much better. RH right there and improved also. A team built much like Peake. Fairland starting off where they finished last year. Chapman best player in conference and supporting cast is solid. They may struggle with depth as it gets closer to tourney time but I see them making a deep run depending on draw. Up tempo pressing teams could give them fits. Ironton still trying to figure out their identity as of now. I think offense really needs to go through Arden even though she's a freshman. Her lack of touches hurt them against Fairlland. Tough being selfish at her age but she really needs to be. Graham a good coach and it'll get done as they always are a really good defensive team and that will keep them in games till they figure it out. Love watching the young talent coming up and my Pointers have a few good ones!

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

Good point Hoop.I'll tell a story.When Larry Bird played, K.C.Jones was the coach of the Celtics.In a timeout on the last possession to win the game,K.C. was drawing up a play.Larry interrupted and said,coach give me the ball and everyone get out of the way.K.C. then responded,here is the play,get Larry the ball and get out of the way.Look,with the ball in Arden's hands no one person at this level can guard her.When they double or triple team her,our other good players will have open looks and layups.We have a very good coach.The simpler the better.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Bengalsrule wrote:Im pretty sure Keith, and Lee aren't playing bb this yr for Ironton
u r correct............

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

Westfan wrote:The Arden girl is a fantastic ballplayer. She has good size and perimeter shooting skill but not alot of speed and quickness. Watched her alot over the years at Ironton and AAU. AAU though she generally played inside and was just more mature than kids her age. I definitely don't see guard or small forward and she may struggle some in High school as she won't be totally on another physical level now.
I agree except I would probably say not as dominant instead of struggle. She looked good the other night against rh, 20+ pts, 11-12? rb? would like to catch the next matchup with fairland.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

Speed wise,I would put her up against just about anybody on the court.Athletically,I have not seen anyone close to her.Quickness,above average.Defense could be better,but I assume that comes from AAU ball where they don't play much of it.She has blocked quite a few shots so far and her rebounding has been impressive.Her potential is very high and her play as just a freshman only will get better as time goes by.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Ironton - Lexie Arden Freshmen season:

1. – 22 PTS – 4 Rebounds – 2 Assists – 3 Steals - ? Blocked Shots --- vs Lexington
2. – 18 PTS – 6 Rebounds – 2 Assists – 5 Steals – ? Blocked Shots --- vs Portsmouth
3. – 6 PTS – 10 Rebounds – 3 Assists – 1 Steal -- ? Blocked Shots --- vs Fairland
4. – 12 PTS – 7 Rebounds – 3 Assists – 4 Steals - 4 Blocked Shots --- vs Gallia Academy
5. - 13 PTS – 7 Rebounds – 4 Assists – 3 Steals – ? Blocked Shots --- vs Ashland, KY
6. - 21 PTS – 10 Rebounds– 2 Assists – 2 Steals - ? Blocked Shots --- vs Rock Hill
7. - 4 PTS -- 6 Rebounds -- 3 Assists - 3 Steals - ? Blocked Shots --- vs Raceland, KY
8. - 15 PTS - 10 Rebounds - 1 Assists - 3 Steals - ? Blocked Shots -- vs Russell, KY
9. - 4 PTS -- 8 Rebounds --- 2 Assists - 6 Steals - ? Blocked Shots -- vs Wheelersburg
10. 16 PTS - 7 Rebounds --- 1 Assists - 2 Steals - ? Blocked Shots -- vs Chesapeake
11. 13 PTS - 10 Rebounds - 1 Assists - 4 Steals - 6 Blocked Shots -- vs South Point
12. 27 PTS - ? Rebounds - ? Assists - ? Steals - ? Blocked Shots ----- vs Coal Grove
13. 8 PTS - 7 Rebounds - 3 Assists - 3 Steals - 3 Blocked Shots ...... vs Alexander
14. 18 PTS .................................................................... vs Portsmouth
15. 17 PTS .................................................................... vs Fairland
16. 15 PTS .................................................................... vs Gallia Academy
17. 14 PTS .................................................................... vs Rock Hill
18. 11 PTS .................................................................... vs Chesapeake
19. 9 PTS - 6 Rebounds - 2 Assists - 4 Steals - 4 Blocked Shots ....... vs Circleville
20. 6 PTS - 8 Rebounds - 2 Assists ......................................... vs South Point
21. Did not play .............................................................. vs Coal Grove

Tournament
22. 15 PTS - 6 Rebounds - ? Assists - ? Steals - 3 Blocked Shots ....... vs Chesapeake
23. 21 Pts - 14 Rebounds - 3 Assist - 3 Steals - 7 Blocked Shots........ vs Southeastern
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Girls Basketball”