SOC realignment

king kong
Freshman Team

Re: SOC realignment

Post by king kong »

Manchester to Green or Symmes Valley would be a nightmare of a trip!

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Go across the river you may get a team. If not the league especially the soc II is not looking good.
Last edited by Game day on Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Ironton St. Joe is independent and applies every so often trying to get into SOC I, but gets rejected. Manchester football-only to SOC I isn't too bad of an idea as they play Symmes Valley, Green, and Notre Dame on an annual basis, but that hasn't worked out thus far.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

And KY teams are out, they have to play a certain number of district games and have to play a set schedule set up for their schools or I think they would risk not being in postseason playoffs or tournaments. Otherwise, I think Raceland (D6 in Ohio) would be in the OVC already since most schools their size are in Ohio except for Fairview (Ashland, KY). I think the next closest school their size after Fairview in KY is Pikeville. Raceland and Fairview in KY are basically on an island separated from other schools their size.

If the OVC really wanted to, they could turn themselves into a solid 12-14 team league if they could get aggressive with expansion if they could convince Fairview and Raceland to join from KY, add Oak Hill and River Valley, and then maybe even add Ironton St. Joe and Symmes Valley as well dropping the SOC down to 14 members (10 in football, 11 if Manchester joined football only) while the OVC would be at 14 members (13 in football). Clearly won't happen, but would make things certainly interesting in the area if something that extreme ever happened.

Volunteer
Riding the Bench

Post by Volunteer »

king kong wrote:Manchester to Green or Symmes Valley would be a nightmare of a trip!
Manchester has played green, Norte dame, and symmes valley the last few years.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

js7_22 wrote:Manchester wants in, but the powers that be won't have it.

LOL, don't be so sure on that one. You'll see Manchester in the SOC sooner rather then later

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

king kong wrote:Manchester to Green or Symmes Valley would be a nightmare of a trip!
No more of a nightmare then teams traveling all back roads to get to Oak Hill or Oak Hill coming down. :roll:

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

greygoose wrote:
js7_22 wrote:Manchester wants in, but the powers that be won't have it.

LOL, don't be so sure on that one. You'll see Manchester in the SOC sooner rather then later
Not so sure it happens any time soon...

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Volunteer wrote:
Add East to that list as well. Haven't last 2 years I believe it is.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

4thgoal wrote:It has been mentioned before, but I think it is a good idea. If you win the SOC1, you trade places with the last place team in the SOC2 the following year. Make each SOC have 6 teams and let it sort itself out.
I would go for it. The only problem is when you get a ND with 22 kids winning the SOCI with mostly seniors, you end up with an absolute slaughtering schedule for them the next year. I like the idea of it. But it really wouldn't work. Could you imagine Green playing Burg? East? ND? The list could go on. On paper it looks great, but after 1 year everyone in SOCI will want out.

Volunteer
Riding the Bench

Post by Volunteer »

greygoose wrote:
Volunteer wrote:
Add East to that list as well. Haven't last 2 years I believe it is.
North Adams and west union now have football programs but are both club programs. They could get Fayetteville along with Manchester to form a shac football league in the next 2-3 years

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Eastern Brown also has a club team too, there's 5 of their 10 teams in the conference with some sort of football. I think if 1 more team started football and the other club teams upgraded to school-sponsored varsity football, they could have a decent 6-team football league started up, which would be primarily D6 and D7 with an occasional D5 team.

Jay Bruce
Freshman Team

Post by Jay Bruce »

Peebles is starting club football too next year from what I heard. Don't know much of the details, but that's what I heard.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

What exactly is a club team

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Roy rogers
Waterboy

Post by Roy rogers »

why not combine the soc 2 and the ovc , call it the sovc and have 2 divisions with cross division games . they basically all play each other anyways.

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

I think that would be good for getting Oak Hill and Northwest out of the SOC I, but I don't think the OVC would go for it.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Just as I have strongly criticized Portsmouth on this site for dropping Wheelersburg, I will also say that Northwest and Oak Hill should be in SOC II. Their enrollment is adequate enough to be able to compete.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

one Oak wrote:I think that would be good for getting Oak Hill and Northwest out of the SOC I, but I don't think the OVC would go for it.
Something I thought about last night, say the SHAC adds football and/or decides to expand to 12 members (non-football sports), Northwest could be an option as a full-member or football-only along with maybe Georgetown (no football). The OVC certainly could look at Oak Hill if they ever decided to look at expansion to 10 or 12 at any point in the future.

High Roller
Riding the Bench

Post by High Roller »

I think the OVC is fine the way it is. Competitive league with several improving programs.

The SOC needs to get its house in order.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Interesting that on the Arbiter site, it shows the Oak Hill vs. Wheelersburg game as a league game for 2017, but the 2016 game is a non-league game. I wonder if there is something there we don't know about yet?

Return to “Football”