2017 Ironton Fighting Tigers

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 2017 IRONTON ''FIGHTING TIGER'' FOOTBALL.

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

we had to play 3 sports back in the day.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
SportFan08
Riding the Bench

Post by SportFan08 »

When is Ironton going to schedule Coldwater?

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

SportFan08 wrote:When is Ironton going to schedule Coldwater?
Not sure if they will compete with Coldwater or not, but I am impressed with the kids who are in the weight room ever since the season ended. I was in there the other day and Brandon Walker had those kids going to the point they couldn't go no more. Some of the kids were shaking when they got finished. I Believe this group is really hungry.

Next year we do have big losses in Webb, Langdon, Morris, Isaac, Barrow and Willis. They played big roles and will be tough to replace.

However, on the line returning this year we have Returning starters Redmond, Pleasant, Klaiber and Cody Rowe. Brady Rowe played a bunch before his injury along with the two freshmen this year Topping and Eaches. C. Rowe, Klaiber, Pleasant and Redmond were all working out hard in the weight room the other day when I was there, while Eaches and Topping are on the wrestling team. All will be good athletes and will work hard in the offseason to get ready. B. Rowe is healing good and on a good path to be ready by summer.

In our backfield, I could see Wilson, Caricco, Duncan and Fosson all returning along with having C. Large added into the mix along with Barnes, Thomas, Grizzle and Payne.

Defensively, I could see a number of options happening, the younger Carrico will probably find a way into the lineup, not sure where. He is a dandy athlete and if he comes out hard he should be playing. I could see Large and G. Caricco playing safety or corner. Thomas will be back at another corner. Ends this year could be Humphreys, who started most of this year at DE, Bryant, who started his freshman and sophomore years, Fosson, who started majority of his freshman year. Noseguard I can see either Fosson, Pleasant or Duncan. Linebackers Wilson, Duncan, Pleasant or Fossom. Burris could step in at many of those spots.

Kids grow up so quickly and get taller and stronger. Never know who might show up and take a position they like. I saw some kids really working last year that might not have gotten a lot of varsity time or were injured. Some who come to mind were Depriest, Barker, Griffith, McSorely, Meyers, Burris, Perry, Higgins, Barnes. It will be fun seeing which kids work the hardest in the off season and earns the positions. It should be a good group and a lot of competition.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Great post but why aren't any of these kids out for wrestling? Whatched the junior high team wrestling and there are some tuff kids out. I don't see the support from the football coaches to get this program rolling. All I hear is them complaining about the time it takes up and cuts into weight training. Are you kidding these kids that are out for wrestling don't even need to lift they will be in twice the shape as the ones that are lifting weights. If you have ever wrestled you would know what I mean. So coach Vass get off your butt and support the wrestling team or move on. I am tired of your staffs lack of support for other sports.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

wrestling is an amazing tool to develop football skills.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and anybody that ever wrestled can tell you conditioning is killer.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I went and watched Eaches wrestle this weekend. For just starting last year and basically only been wrestling for about 6 months he did a pretty good job. He went 1-3, but his three loses were to like 2 juniors and a senior and all three were top guys in the district last year. Point wise he was up on them and he ended up getting pinned because hes lacking in experience. He will be a good one by the time hes a junior hes only a freshman right now. All the linemen need to get out and wrestle it will help out hugely next season.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I'd sure like to see the ovc add wrestling to their sports league wise. and all ovc coaches getting back to a mandatory 3 sport year , like we did back in the day cannon.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Itd be great if all of them had wrestling. It would help the league out I think. I think Portsmouth, Rock Hill, and Coal grove are only ones without wrestling right now.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

CHESAPEAKE ALWAYS HAD A SUPER WRESTLING TEAM AS I RECALL.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I watched them last year and Peake and galliapolis had some awesome wrestlers.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Tigercannon71 wrote:I went and watched Eaches wrestle this weekend. For just starting last year and basically only been wrestling for about 6 months he did a pretty good job. He went 1-3, but his three loses were to like 2 juniors and a senior and all three were top guys in the district last year. Point wise he was up on them and he ended up getting pinned because hes lacking in experience. He will be a good one by the time hes a junior hes only a freshman right now. All the linemen need to get out and wrestle it will help out hugely next season.
It is a shame that Ironton does not have anymore kids out at the varsity level. I point that right back to the football coaching staff. How much better would the line and everyone else be if they participated in wrestling. I guess we will never know until the football staff is gone.

High Roller
Riding the Bench

Post by High Roller »

Same can be said for the track team. Kids need to be out running in the spring. This would help also. Needs to be an expectation by all coaching staffs to support all programs in Tigertown.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Both of you guys are right, all the staffs should be supporting each other and getting guys out playing the other sports. Its good to lift all year to get ready for football, but doing these other sports makes you a more well rounded athlete and helps you in so many ways.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I think so as well, I always have. I mean I had no interest in track whatsoever. but had to. and I loved throwing shot and discus, mind you only through my sophomore year. but I enjoyed it.
it was that or baseball, I love baseball but never played other than pony stuff.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

Wrestling is definitely a plus to a football program. Anyone who's been around it knows that. It will put kids in great shape. I think it's like anything else, takes a little while to get it started. I figure each year you will see more and more participation.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Bad thing is last year there was like 20 8th graders out for wrestling and only 3 have returned to wrestle this year. The coaches should have pushed for all the juniors, sophomores, and freshman to go out if they weren't playing basketball.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I agree.
what has changed culturally that ironton cannot require people to play 3 male sports.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

look at the differences in the mac and how things used to be for us.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:look at the differences in the mac and how things used to be for us.

That has nothing to do with us. We have enough athletes to play all sports. It's the fact that kids don't want to get out and work. They don't want to put effort into something.

Return to “Football”