jr high softball

Browns30
JV Team

Re: jr high softball

Post by Browns30 »

I said the outcome would have been the same, but you must have been asleep during that inning when Oak Hill was in the field during the downpour and the pitchers walked 6 and was just doing what they could to get the ball near the plate, therefore giving up hits. I'm not saying we would have beat you. Oak Hill is a young team, only 3 8th graders on the field. The rest are 6th and 7th grade... AND our lead-off hitter (the one your coach said he isn't pitching to) is only 12 years old! SO take your popcorn and toot your horn somewhere else.
Last edited by Browns30 on Tue May 03, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

father time
Waterboy

Post by father time »

There is something to be said about being humble and winning and losing with class. Would we like our kids to be on a public forum saying some of the things that have been said on here (about junior high sports of all things)? As adults we are the first ones to say a child is acting this way or that but where is that behavior learned. If your teams and players are that good you wont have to talk them up or especially talk others down. If they are that good others will do the talking for you. How about we all sit back and enjoy the short moments we have to watch our children play, (its over in the blink of an eye)

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

I'm pretty sure I made it clear in 2 separate posts that Ironton is the better team. We know it, everyone else knows it. No one is putting anyone down, just stating facts. It's all for fun.

Marty McFly
Waterboy

Post by Marty McFly »

father time wrote:There is something to be said about being humble and winning and losing with class. Would we like our kids to be on a public forum saying some of the things that have been said on here (about junior high sports of all things)? As adults we are the first ones to say a child is acting this way or that but where is that behavior learned. If your teams and players are that good you wont have to talk them up or especially talk others down. If they are that good others will do the talking for you. How about we all sit back and enjoy the short moments we have to watch our children play, (its over in the blink of an eye)
Unfortunately, your comment is almost exactly five months too late. You should have posted this back in December not now. Oak Hill lost that game with class, their heads held high. Ironton won that game with class, congratulating the Oak Hill players for their efforts. Both teams were class acts throughout the season! So as far as I’m concerned, the parents have done a pretty good job of raising their kids.

You mentioned talking players up. This thread is filled with people talking players up. It’s what coaches and parents do. This is the equivalent of standing around the water cooler at work and bragging about your kid/team. Nobody talked anybody down.

softball24_7
Freshman Team

Post by softball24_7 »

I don't think I've read one post on here about someone putting a team or player down. Its been a lot of fun this year, we know one person likes their crow grilled ;) and those Ironton folk really like their popcorn. But I dont see any negativity coming from this thread. If someone is offended, then maybe its time they step back and take another look, as mentioned earlier, its our "water cooler". Still not sure what is meant by "being junior high", I'm glad there are ppl talking about Jr high, this is a special group of kids that will make a huge impact over the HS scene for the next couple of years. I still would like to see a "all star" type of game, could let 1st and 2nd place coaches coach the two teams. Would be a lot of fun for the girls, not to mention watching 2 teams loaded from top to bottom. Someone needs to set this up! Take the top 15 or so 8th graders, grab a handful of 7th graders and let'em play. Manitoudan, this could be somethin da'bears could put on, could get the players involved, maybe play under the lights?? Not sure how many dingers we'd see outta that field though.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

father time wrote:There is something to be said about being humble and winning and losing with class. Would we like our kids to be on a public forum saying some of the things that have been said on here (about junior high sports of all things)? As adults we are the first ones to say a child is acting this way or that but where is that behavior learned. If your teams and players are that good you wont have to talk them up or especially talk others down. If they are that good others will do the talking for you. How about we all sit back and enjoy the short moments we have to watch our children play, (its over in the blink of an eye)
This has been the most positive thread on the forum the entire season. Everyone has talked up the kids and coaches. Their hasn't been any real barbs thrown around the thread. I wish all the other topics on seops were so positive and upbeat.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Noodle319
Freshman Team

Post by Noodle319 »

This forum has been a blast this year. The talent In the area is amazing and it comes back to one thing, hard work. I made it several Oak Hill games (Ironton, Minford, Burg, ND) and the knowledge of the game with all the teams is unreal. You can tell that parents and coaches have taken the time to teach them right. I will give you this advice, my daughter is just finishing up her first high school season, it's a different world.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

I caught a few games and saw some great ball. Tons of great players . Oak hill has several , SS And 3b are great , good young 7th grade P , Obviously Ironton has several, Burg has a special 7th grader , NW was solid .

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Ran into a gentleman from Rock Hill last night that said Rock Hill beat the Ironton team that won the Jr high tourney something like 22-0 . Not wanting to argue with him because I don't know anything about Rock Hill but they has to be an explanation . The Ironton team that won the Jr high tourney down here wouldn't lose 22-0 to HS teams .

Storm02
Waterboy

Post by Storm02 »

Rock Hill has a solid Jr High team. Their younger girls were State Runners up in Little League last year too.

He's probably mistaken though. Irontons 8th Grade team played in this League. Irontons 7th Grade team played in the Lawrence County League where Rock Hill played and from what I heard wasn't that good.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Just me but superb Little league results while great for the hometowns and players , are not very great indicator of how good a team is outside of South Eastern Ohio. Little league is recreational ball in which 80-90% of ohio's best players do not participate. Lot of people dont like to accept that but its true . And NO , I'm not anti Little League , and I don't wish for its demise . But sometimes results in these LL events set expectations for young players that are not fair to the kids playing the game.

triplethreat
Waterboy

Post by triplethreat »

with all of the talent why hasn't someone put together a good travel team here in se ohio?

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Not enough like minded parents willing to travel and stay together thru the 10--12-14u years to get to where it will pay off at 16-18u ( scholarship $$) . If you happen to project as a possible d1 player, who wants to roll the dice by staying at home and playing for a team/coach/organization that has never sent a single kid to a d1 college before . The Wild Thangs were close , but does Taran Alvelo and Michael Cunningham end up at Wash and LSU if they somehow stay together thru 16u -- No way , No chance. Even the coaches from the MAC don't want see " insert your local travel team here" on a resume for a potential recruit . Heck the good d2's and Naia's dont want to see it either. Who you play for means a ton. Just the way it is .

rocket20
Freshman Team

Post by rocket20 »

The way it is kinda sucks too though. Cause they're are some kids who have some or a whole lot of potential and could benefit from some of the good travel ball coaches but their parents just can't afford the "big name" travel teams so they have to stay kinda local just beacause they love to play the game.

Gopher
Varsity

Post by Gopher »

ManitouDan2 wrote:Not enough like minded parents willing to travel and stay together thru the 10--12-14u years to get to where it will pay off at 16-18u ( scholarship $$) . If you happen to project as a possible d1 player, who wants to roll the dice by staying at home and playing for a team/coach/organization that has never sent a single kid to a d1 college before . The Wild Thangs were close , but does Taran Alvelo and Michael Cunningham end up at Wash and LSU if they somehow stay together thru 16u -- No way , No chance. Even the coaches from the MAC don't want see " insert your local travel team here" on a resume for a potential recruit . Heck the good d2's and Naia's dont want to see it either. Who you play for means a ton. Just the way it is .
100% accurate. I was at an Ohio Hawks camp a few years back and the guest coach, Florida's Tim Walton, was asked by one of the campers "Would you ever recruit a player from Ohio?" He answered with "Yes, but I will not be at an Ohio tournament to recruit them. I will see them in California, New Jersey, or down south." D1 coaches will not come to you, you have to market the players to them. To do that you have to be connected with an organization that has their ear and has shown a history of producing players that have the skillset they are looking for. That takes years to establish and most local teams develop too much drama and split before ever reaching that milestone. Unfortunately there are many great HS players that "could" play at the D1, D2 level that never get noticed because of this.

Thehype
Waterboy

Post by Thehype »

I hear you Browns30. I'll leave it at that. Don't want to get into disagreement over the computer. GET YOUR POPCORN READY!!!!!!

Thehype
Waterboy

Post by Thehype »

Marty McFly wrote:
Unfortunately, your comment is almost exactly five months too late. You should have posted this back in December not now. Oak Hill lost that game with class, their heads held high. Ironton won that game with class, congratulating the Oak Hill players for their efforts. Both teams were class acts throughout the season! So as far as I’m concerned, the parents have done a pretty good job of raising their kids.

You mentioned talking players up. This thread is filled with people talking players up. It’s what coaches and parents do. This is the equivalent of standing around the water cooler at work and bragging about your kid/team. Nobody talked anybody down.
GREAT COMMENT!!!!!

Thehype
Waterboy

Post by Thehype »

ALL IN FUN!!!!!! UNTIL NXT YR???

Return to “Softball”