jr high softball

Softball Man
Waterboy

Re: jr high softball

Post by Softball Man »

Fastpitch Coach wrote:Lady Pirates over Minford today! Excellent Pitching & strong bats today !!!!! Tolle from Minford crushed one over the fence today & Wolf is a solid player too ! Great day for Softball ☀️

Who pitched for Minford?

softball24_7
Freshman Team

Post by softball24_7 »

NW and ND ended in 2-2 tie, again. First week they ended in 4-4 tie. 2 competitive teams that match up well with each other.

Storm02
Waterboy

Post by Storm02 »

Got a question..some of our teams parents have been complaining in the stands that our pitcher is "wild". So I looked back over her stats.

For the season she's sitting on
60innings pitched
70ks
36BB
0HB

What's the opinions around here. Is that what's considered "wild" at the Jr High level?

triplethreat
Waterboy

Post by triplethreat »

Softballdad wrote:We've heard all about the teams & a few of the players. Who are the standout players & ones to watch when they get to HS
Ironton has 2 nice pitchers and short stop all very good. saw lead off no. 15 from oak hill homer last nignt in the ironton and oak hill game very good too. exciting game. both good programs. lady tigers with the 9-8 win.

softball24_7
Freshman Team

Post by softball24_7 »

Looking for a team for this Sunday to play DH at Northwest vs NW and Burg. You can msg me here or at 937/217-2156. No cell service in evenings, but will have it through out the day.

Fastpitch Coach
Waterboy

Post by Fastpitch Coach »

It would be nice if Ironton or Oak Hill was available for the Northwest games !

Fastpitch Coach
Waterboy

Lady Pirates over Green last night ! Williams crushed two back to back homeruns ‼️ Solid pitching the entire game & solid defense after a sloppy first inning. Lady Pirates crushed the ball the entire game with smart base running as well. If the Lady Pirates play their A game, they can be competitive !!!!!

softball24_7
Freshman Team

Post by softball24_7 »

As season begins to wrap up, I just wanted to express my thoughts a bit. First off, I want to give Keenan a big thumbs up at what he's done at ports this season. They have an extremely young team this yr, but their heart is in it. Those girls (from the 2x we played them) wanted to be there they wanted to play. I look for big things to happen for them in the next couple of years. Sean at OH2, again, another young team. But the girls drive and passion is there, they want to compete, they want to play. I look for OH to field 2 completely solid teams next yr. Wayne at Minford, those 7th graders will compete very well with any team in the league next yr. Why? Because they want to play! As a coach, this is my 3rd yr with school ball... But it sickens me when I hear about some of these stories when the top level teams play these younger girls... Its a problem when other coaches and even umpires bring it up even a week or 2 after it happens. I understand if you only have 1-2 pitchers, there's only so many things you can do in the circle. But as a coach you can manage your team. You can hold a runner at 2nd when we all know she could've had a stand up triple it even an inside the parker. You don't have to steal home on a passed ball. And NO way should you be delay stealing a base or even home.. I get it, girls want to dominate, but what are you teaching them? Because when they try that with a experienced catcher, its not going to work. So why do that with these younger teams. All I'm saying is have some sportsmanship, because one of these years, you will be one of these young teams. My hats off to Amy coach that allows these young 7th and 6th grade girls play. If they are able to compete, they should be out there. It does make for a rough season when you only have enough girls for 1 team and your majority is 6th and 7th, but take your bumps and bruises with pride, and return the favor the next couple years. Good luck to the teams as we enter the last week of regulation.

Thehype
Waterboy

Post by Thehype »

THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG WITH KIDS NOW!!!! Parents baby these kids and kids want to be handed something. I completely understand about sportsmanship and agree with your comment about holding runners on 2nd instead of hustling for a triple. You cant fault girls that put a CRAP LOAD of work in or teams for that matter. You can't expect a team to dumb down there game or tell their players not to play hard because you'll up. That's an opportunity to work on things, or a chance to get better in some instances. Kids and parents have just gotten soft and TOO sensitive over the years. This is sports!!!!!...Life lessons are learned!!!!!!. Life doesn't slow down and hand you things. YOU EARN IT!!!!!!. The old way in sports was that if you wasn't good enough to make a team you worked harder!!!!!!! If you got beat by a team, you didn't whine, YOU DUG DEEP AND GOT BETTER!!!. I'm a BIG fan of sportsmanship and teaching our kids to have integrity and humility. But us as parents and coaches have to stop teaching our kids to expect someone's going to hand them something or take it easy on them. We're doing them an injustice. THAT'S LIFE LESSONS!!!!!!!!!!

softball24_7
Freshman Team

Post by softball24_7 »

I agree, you don't want the girls to dumb it down. And they still needs to hustle and give 100%. As a coach, there are certain things you can do to still have the girls go 100%. But not score 20+ runs a game against a young team. Work on your lead offs, catchers throwing to different bags, have a girl interested in slapping, now is the time to try it out. Only score on an earned run, that type of stuff. Not asking to dial it down or ask a kid to go down swinging, buy you don't have to score on every possibility.

Thehype
Waterboy

Post by Thehype »

Yes I agree, as a coach that's what I tell our travel girls. Take middle school season to try different things to make your game bttr. I do agree that the coach should maybe slow things down and not rub it in on teams. But I don't want MY team that I would coach not try and get better each and every play. So it is a tough situation.

Fastpitch Coach
Waterboy

The Lady Pirates over Northwest today, great day for softball ☀️ Northwest has a lot of talented players as well as being well coached. Nice to see Northwest moving in the right direction ! The Lady Pirates hit the ball very well today, along with solid pitching & good Defence!!

softball24_7
Freshman Team

Post by softball24_7 »

Burg definitely has a tough lil tough. Hoping for a speedy recovery for their catcher, its tough taking a ball on the end of finger like that. NW has a solid lil team, but are still young with the normal rotation of only starting 2 8th graders. But the Achilles heel has been errors, if they come to play, they can hang with any team in the league. Looking forward to some tournament action. Good luck to all the teams participating this yr.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

When are tourney games & who are some kids to check out for the future? Sounds like softball has a lot of promise coming up!

softball24_7
Freshman Team

Post by softball24_7 »

First round tourney play begins this wk, round 2 is sat, with semi and finals finishing up on Sun. As far as talent in the area, 8th grade: Mary Beth, Rowe, and Hamlet from Ironton, Brisker from Ohill, Dempsey, Bergan, Bella, Collins from Burg, Glockner, Schaefer, Whitman from ND, Wolfenbarker, Tolle, Hale from Minford, Lute, Newman from NW. There's a handful of 7th graders that could make the list, and I'm sure there are some 8th graders that I missed, but those are the ones that come to mind. Would love to see an all star game held. Could add in the top 7th graders to complete teams?? Look at it this way, could be a $ maker for your program if someone would put it on. Not to mention that would be one heck of a game.
Last edited by softball24_7 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Storm02
Waterboy

Post by Storm02 »

That would be interesting lol

Thehype
Waterboy

Post by Thehype »

GOOD IDEA!!!!!

softball24_7
Freshman Team

Post by softball24_7 »

Thehype wrote:GOOD IDEA!!!!!
Talk about a "popcorn" worthy game!

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

I'd rather watch the dads pick the team .. be far more entertaining.

Jms
Riding the Bench

Post by Jms »

First round games being hosted by higher seed teams to be completed on or before this Friday. Remaining games hosted by ND this coming Saturday and Sunday. (game times listed on bracket sheet) Should be some good games with lots of young talent. Stop up by.... but you will have to bring your own popcorn!
Attachments
JHTournBrackets.JPG
JHTournBrackets.JPG (108.05 KiB) Viewed 3431 times

Return to “Softball”