Top 10 players in SE Ohio...

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Re: Top 10 players in SE Ohio...

Post by StateTheFacts »

Hard to talk about top players when the knowledge is skewed by coaches who does vote trading for their own kids in the awards when we don't see all the teams in the area. How about we get rid of parent "coaches" at the HS level?

buck-country
Waterboy

Post by buck-country »

captainmorgan_ wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:43 pm How bout we get back on topic, supposed to be talking about the top players in the south east district.
Stay off Preps buddy

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

buck-country wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:28 am
captainmorgan_ wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:43 pm How bout we get back on topic, supposed to be talking about the top players in the south east district.
Stay off Preps buddy
not so sure what I said that offended you, buddy?

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

captainmorgan_ wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:37 am
Stay off Preps buddy
We got a couple trolls on the boards right now who think this is their personal sounding board to cry and attack coaches. Don't worry actual softball conversations will come as we get closer to the season.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:58 am

Stay off Preps buddy
We got a couple trolls on the boards right now who think this is their personal sounding board to cry and attack coaches. Don't worry actual softball conversations will come as we get closer to the season.
i agree with you. if these trolls don't have anything positive, informative or productive to say they need there accounts suspended "j/s"

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

Stay off Preps buddy
Oh... now we have turned to calling people names because we are in junior high again. I am sorry if you have to hear about the truth, but the truth is very clear. I am sorry that we just can't live in your world where the conversations and decisions can only be one-sided and nobody can disagree with what is occurring.

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

captainmorgan_ wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:01 am

i agree with you. if these trolls don't have anything positive, informative or productive to say they need there accounts suspended "j/s"
Don't fall in the trap of name calling with the other members who want to act as if they are in junior high. I am sure if you was aware of what was happening then you would agree that this is a positive and informative conversation.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

no i disagree this most certainly is not a positive or informative conversation. you are making yourself look like an upset parent even if you say you are not. if there are bigger issues, this is not the place for that. i am told to get off preps because i try to redirect the conversation to the original topic?

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

captainmorgan_ wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:12 am no i disagree this most certainly is not a positive or informative conversation. you are making yourself look like an upset parent even if you say you are not. if there are bigger issues, this is not the place for that. i am told to get off preps because i try to redirect the conversation to the original topic?
You wasn't told by me to get off of preps because I believe everyone has their rights on this forum and everyone should be heard out. I may not agree with everyone on here, but I will hear them out. I appreciate your concern and appreciate hearing me out also. I will say though that I am not an upset parent but one who witnesses things that shouldn't be happening either in moral values or per OHSAA.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

maybe you should get in touch with the OHSAA?

Noodle319
Freshman Team

Post by Noodle319 »

StateTheFacts, what is your fix to the problem, reading your opinion of what is wrong but what would you do to fix it at your school. I don’t mind the conversation but should be kept to separate topic about your school.

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

Noodle319 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:43 am StateTheFacts, what is your fix to the problem, reading your opinion of what is wrong but what would you do to fix it at your school. I don’t mind the conversation but should be kept to separate topic about your school.
The fix would be to ensure that the best player is in every position and batting in the correct order without bias people making the decision based on personal agendas. I am sure it happens a lot but then we get excuses of why we can't win not based on the coaching. Parents needs to be in the stands watching at this level and not coaching like we are still in Little League.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Parent coaching is always going a part of small conference softball. Not enough pay and rewards for non parents to volunteer 100's of hours to only have parents rip you to shreds on social media . Coaching has always been a tough gig , but in 2018-2019 its beyond brutal . Your every move analyzed . Every word is on record . And it only takes 1-2 malcontents to destroy what 70-80-90% agree with . Quite frankly unless they start paying better I think small schools will struggle to find anyone to coach , parent or non parent . Its just not rewarding, been there and done that .

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

It really aggravates me when people complain about parent coaches. Yea sure there are the select few that aren't any good or in it for the wrong reasons. But our softball program is where it is right now because of the work the parents put into it throughout little league and jr high. Then you have someone like Statethefacts, who are usually jealous about something, complain and those parents aren't allowed to be involved anymore. It does noting but hurt the girls when you have knowledgeable people willing to VOLUNTEER their time to work with ALL of the kids to make the TEAM better. I see it happening right now.

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

Browns30 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:12 am It really aggravates me when people complain about parent coaches. Yea sure there are the select few that aren't any good or in it for the wrong reasons. But our softball program is where it is right now because of the work the parents put into it throughout little league and jr high. Then you have someone like Statethefacts, who are usually jealous about something, complain and those parents aren't allowed to be involved anymore. It does noting but hurt the girls when you have knowledgeable people willing to VOLUNTEER their time to work with ALL of the kids to make the TEAM better. I see it happening right now.
it is funny how you say it aggravates you when you say people complain about parent coaches then you post earlier about kids and coaches not getting the credit they deserve for coaches using popularity and other tactics to get awards. Most of the time, this is occurring because coaches have a personal interest in certain players since they are friends or family. I agree that if you are working with ALL the players for the TEAM then it will get better. That doesn't always happen everywhere trust me. Many teams in the SOC2 are right where they are because of the work and totally agree with you. It has to be that way with the level of competition in that league with Waverly, Wheelersburg, Oak Hill, and Minford. I hold no jealousy and just want the excel to win games instead of allowing sub-par records to be ok just because certain players get to play/bat.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

StateTheFacts wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:43 am
Browns30 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:12 am It really aggravates me when people complain about parent coaches. Yea sure there are the select few that aren't any good or in it for the wrong reasons. But our softball program is where it is right now because of the work the parents put into it throughout little league and jr high. Then you have someone like Statethefacts, who are usually jealous about something, complain and those parents aren't allowed to be involved anymore. It does noting but hurt the girls when you have knowledgeable people willing to VOLUNTEER their time to work with ALL of the kids to make the TEAM better. I see it happening right now.
it is funny how you say it aggravates you when you say people complain about parent coaches then you post earlier about kids and coaches not getting the credit they deserve for coaches using popularity and other tactics to get awards. Most of the time, this is occurring because coaches have a personal interest in certain players since they are friends or family. I agree that if you are working with ALL the players for the TEAM then it will get better. That doesn't always happen everywhere trust me. Many teams in the SOC2 are right where they are because of the work and totally agree with you. It has to be that way with the level of competition in that league with Waverly, Wheelersburg, Oak Hill, and Minford. I hold no jealousy and just want the excel to win games instead of allowing sub-par records to be ok just because certain players get to play/bat.
You're right.. I did say that, and I also said that I've seen more favoritism over the years from non-parent coaches than parent coaches. I really can't understand exactly what you're upset about. I know you mentioned not winning and the reason being said is that the team is young. So you're saying certain players are playing because of who they are? .....Unfortunately, we live in small towns and thats how it is...nothing is ever going to seem fair. My advice for them, be so good they have to play you.

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:01 am Parent coaching is always going a part of small conference softball. Not enough pay and rewards for non parents to volunteer 100's of hours to only have parents rip you to shreds on social media . Coaching has always been a tough gig , but in 2018-2019 its beyond brutal . Your every move analyzed . Every word is on record . And it only takes 1-2 malcontents to destroy what 70-80-90% agree with . Quite frankly unless they start paying better I think small schools will struggle to find anyone to coach , parent or non parent . Its just not rewarding, been there and done that .
The pay is quite well when you figure out the per hour pay scale. The regular season begins on February 19 and the tournament begins on May 4 according to the OHSAA. The amount a coach makes in based on the contract at various schools but I know I have a friend who started with 0 years of experience and made roughly $3,500 before Uncle Sam takes their part. If you figure you practiced or play a game every day Monday-Friday which we all know doesn't happen with the spring weather at a rate of 3 hour practice or game, which is a high estimate, then they are making $21 an hour which is more than most people make at their regular job. As to everyone getting analyzed or having every work on record that is also the same with your job or jobs of others. You are getting paid to coach and some getting paid to be there for their own kid's game and making roughly $21 an hour doing it. I am sure if these jobs would get posted in the newspaper then there would be knowledge pool of people applying for these jobs.

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

Browns30 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:54 am
StateTheFacts wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:43 am
You're right.. I did say that, and I also said that I've seen more favoritism over the years from non-parent coaches than parent coaches. I really can't understand exactly what you're upset about. I know you mentioned not winning and the reason being said is that the team is young. So you're saying certain players are playing because of who they are? .....Unfortunately, we live in small towns and thats how it is...nothing is ever going to seem fair. My advice for them, be so good they have to play you.
No matter how good you are in the field or with the bat, you will not play over certain kids due to the ties they have. The coaches with multiple years, 5 or more years, have successful programs because they are playing the best at every position. This is true in all sports and not just softball. I realize life isn't fair, and I teach my kid to work hard to make yourself be seen. It is just so obvious when you have coaches with personal ties who have followed their kid all the way up to ensure certain things happen.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

How much work are they putting in? I can't imagine any coach, regardless of their agenda, not playing the best and hardest working player on a team. They might not be the favorite player for reasons that have been discussed but.. Let's put things into perspective, a few of the kids named on here as some of the top players practice or do some type of workout everyday. Hitting or pitching lessons, weight lifting, cardio, and on the days they don't have some type of organized practice or workout they spend time at home hitting buckets of balls off the tee, defensive drills in the garage, whatever it takes. These are the kids that stay after practice or miss time with friends to improve their game. If they aren't putting in the extra work, you really don't have a case. when it comes between two average players, the one with the connections will play. That's small town politics. Don't be average.

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

Browns30 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:31 am How much work are they putting in? I can't imagine any coach, regardless of their agenda, not playing the best and hardest working player on a team. They might not be the favorite player for reasons that have been discussed but.. Let's put things into perspective, a few of the kids named on here as some of the top players practice or do some type of workout everyday. Hitting or pitching lessons, weight lifting, cardio, and on the days they don't have some type of organized practice or workout they spend time at home hitting buckets of balls off the tee, defensive drills in the garage, whatever it takes. These are the kids that stay after practice or miss time with friends to improve their game. If they aren't putting in the extra work, you really don't have a case. when it comes between two average players, the one with the connections will play. That's small town politics. Don't be average.
It happens all the time with the best player not playing a position because they are an underclassmen or don't have a dad who is the coach. My daughter puts in hours of work outside the expectations with lessons and extra work. I understand the top players do have a work ethic that is needed to reach that potential. The problem is that they aren't recognize because the decisions are being made through rose-colored glasses. The work is being put in and I don't feel I should have to make a move to a different program and lose the 2nd half of a season due to a transfer. I want her where she is but I think it is wrong how decisions are being made and before you say talk to the coach, it is pointless. I have seen other parents try and nothing changes because they already knowing going in who is playing where no matter how much you work and improve.

Return to “Softball”