2019 SOC 2

asportsfan
Waterboy

Re: 2019 SOC 2

Post by asportsfan »

VILLAGE IDIOT wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:03 pm Waverly beat Oak Hill handily tonight 8-1. Waverly pitching was dominant from start to finish. Tigers hit the ball all over the field. The league will be decided between Waverly and Burg. Only run Oaks scored was on an error.
I'm not sure that it was dominant pitching when you are intentionally walking Brisker every at bat and not having your "dominant pitchers" throw to her. I can understand throwing her junk pitches, but if we are going to talk about dominance let's be realistic and put all the facts out there. Waverly didn't pitch to Brisker because they knew what would happen. Burg and Minford will both beat Waverly. Their defense is non-existent. Balls in play had a error at each position except RF and CF. You're correct that the Oaks didn't hit nor come to play, but let's also put all the facts out that Waverly kept intentionally walking Brisker because they knew what would happen.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

asportsfan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:39 am
VILLAGE IDIOT wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:03 pm Waverly beat Oak Hill handily tonight 8-1. Waverly pitching was dominant from start to finish. Tigers hit the ball all over the field. The league will be decided between Waverly and Burg. Only run Oaks scored was on an error.
I'm not sure that it was dominant pitching when you are intentionally walking Brisker every at bat and not having your "dominant pitchers" throw to her. I can understand throwing her junk pitches, but if we are going to talk about dominance let's be realistic and put all the facts out there. Waverly didn't pitch to Brisker because they knew what would happen. Burg and Minford will both beat Waverly. Their defense is non-existent. Balls in play had a error at each position except RF and CF. You're correct that the Oaks didn't hit nor come to play, but let's also put all the facts out that Waverly kept intentionally walking Brisker because they knew what would happen.
Not sure about dominant but it sounds like a smart move to me and I’m sure miss Brisker will be seeing this all season

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Crying over intentional walks is weak sauce , the players behind her have to make them pay. Or even the players in front of her , get on base and make it hard to walk her . Oaks scored one run , sounds like the pitching was pretty dominate .

asportsfan
Waterboy

Post by asportsfan »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:52 am Crying over intentional walks is weak sauce , the players behind her have to make them pay. Or even the players in front of her , get on base and make it hard to walk her . Oaks scored one run , sounds like the pitching was pretty dominate .
Not crying over intentional walks. Minford intentionally walked Brisker in each game that Oaks played them. Oaks split with Minford. It's going to happen. The point is don't speak dominance when you aren't pitching to the best. Dominance is meeting the best head on and winning the battle. That didn't happen. Absolutely mentioned that the Oaks didn't hit nor come to play. But you can't claim dominance when you don't pitch to the best.

Sballbball24/7
Riding the Bench

Post by Sballbball24/7 »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:52 am Crying over intentional walks is weak sauce , the players behind her have to make them pay. Or even the players in front of her , get on base and make it hard to walk her . Oaks scored one run , sounds like the pitching was pretty dominate .
You’re exactly right it’s just part of the game,bottom line is if hitters are not hitting around her she will see it all year they have to come through to win games,especially in league games it’s just a no brainer to walk her,she was up 4 times and she got on base all 4 times but other hitters didn’t come through and move her so it is what it is

Sballbball24/7
Riding the Bench

Post by Sballbball24/7 »

asportsfan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:03 pm
Not crying over intentional walks. Minford intentionally walked Brisker in each game that Oaks played them. Oaks split with Minford. It's going to happen. The point is don't speak dominance when you aren't pitching to the best. Dominance is meeting the best head on and winning the battle. That didn't happen. Absolutely mentioned that the Oaks didn't hit nor come to play. But you can't claim dominance when you don't pitch to the best.
You are right about the “dominant” part,they definitely didn’t dominate brisker but they took her bat out of the game and that’s what soc coaches are going to do to win league games...so once again her teammates have to come through

asportsfan
Waterboy

Post by asportsfan »

Sballbball24/7 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:18 pm
You are right about the “dominant” part,they definitely didn’t dominate brisker but they took her bat out of the game and that’s what soc coaches are going to do to win league games...so once again her teammates have to come through
They absolutely have to come through and they didn’t. I believe I said that they didn’t hit nor come to play. My comment was relating to dominance.

Waverly will not be able to use this intentional walk strategy against Burg or Minford. Too many hitters on both of those teams. I see Waverly losing to both teams.

sportsdude
Waterboy

Post by sportsdude »

absolutely. brisker is going to see this a lot now without hughes

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Only 1 measure and 1 only describes dominance -- scoreboard . Its not a individual sport like tennis , its a team sport ... Having said all that its SUPER frustrating to be on the end of the intentional walks .

Gucci
Riding the Bench

Post by Gucci »

How many hits did Oak Hill have last night? How many Ks did the Waverly pitchers have? That would help determine dominance. In the end, the only thing that matters is the final score.

tigercat1
Varsity

Post by tigercat1 »

Waverly pitchers had 10 strikeouts and Oak Hill had 4 hits.

Waverly had 14 hits and Oak Hill struck out 4 Waverly batters.

Kentmurphy
Waterboy

Post by Kentmurphy »

I believe Brisker first at bat was 2-1 count and bunted
Last at bat was 3-2 count with a walk I think 2 swings and a miss
With 2 int walks
Just seems to me just a lot of crying over a game they lost on both sides of the ball

asportsfan
Waterboy

Post by asportsfan »

Kentmurphy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:26 pm I believe Brisker first at bat was 2-1 count and bunted
With 2 int walks
Just seems to me just a lot of crying over a game they lost on both sides of the ball
Again I believe I mentioned the Oaks didn’t hit nor show up to play multiple times. They deserved to lose the game. The better team on the field won yesterday. My point is you can’t claim dominance if you can’t beat the best.

To me a dominance performance would have been the Burg vs Oaks last year. Spence went after Brisker and Hughes. Brisker was 2-3 and Hughes was 0-3. The only other hit for the Oaks was from McNerlin. That’s dominance. Going after the best and beating them. I understand strategy. Lol. The only ones who won’t intentionally walk Brisker will be Burg because they believe in their pitching.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

asportsfan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:06 pm
Kentmurphy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:26 pm I believe Brisker first at bat was 2-1 count and bunted
With 2 int walks
Again I believe I mentioned the Oaks didn’t hit nor show up to play multiple times. They deserved to lose the game. The better team on the field won yesterday. My point is you can’t claim dominance if you can’t beat the best.

To me a dominance performance would have been the Burg vs Oaks last year. Spence went after Brisker and Hughes. Brisker was 2-3 and Hughes was 0-3. The only other hit for the Oaks was from McNerlin. That’s dominance. Going after the best and beating them. I understand strategy. Lol. The only ones who won’t intentionally walk Brisker will be Burg because they believe in their pitching.
I would question anyone that does pitch to her. Why would you? She’s the only one in the lineup that’s going to hurt you. You can pitch around her and still have a dominant performance. Sounds to me like she had her chances and didn’t produce.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

You don’t have to blow it by every batter you face to have a dominant game
I’ll take a smart pitcher every day

asportsfan
Waterboy

Post by asportsfan »

fbnut wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:15 pm
asportsfan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:06 pm
With 2 int walks

I would question anyone that does pitch to her. Why would you? She’s the only one in the lineup that’s going to hurt you. You can pitch around her and still have a dominant performance. Sounds to me like she had her chances and didn’t produce.
You pitch to her the same reason you pitch to Hughes, Boo and Wolfenbarger. To pitch against the best hitters and win the battle. That’s what makes for a dominant pitcher. Going at the top hitters in the league and shutting them down. As a pitcher, you should want your coach to have faith in your ability and your defense. Are they going to hit homeruns? Absolutely. That’s the game, and the SOC 2 has strong hitters. But give your pitcher and defense a chance to show what they can do. That’s the TEAM part we are talking about.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

As a pitcher or any player at any position you want your coach to make decisions that give your team the best chance at winning the game. It really shouldn't be about an individual proving anything. It's a team sport and team comes first. Or at least it should.

With other players not hitting it would be rather silly to give Brisker anything good to hit.

RedandBlue98
Waterboy

Post by RedandBlue98 »

Not so fast my friend! I watched the Spring Valley pitcher last weekend that beat Burg 5-1, and if she was able to hold the Burg scoreless through 6 innings, a healthy Robinson at Waverly is more than capable of doing the same. I think Waverly gives them a game in a pitchers duel.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

RedandBlue98 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:25 am Not so fast my friend! I watched the Spring Valley pitcher last weekend that beat Burg 5-1, and if she was able to hold the Burg scoreless through 6 innings, a healthy Robinson at Waverly is more than capable of doing the same. I think Waverly gives them a game in a pitchers duel.
Not sure who was who last year but the pitcher for waverly that didn’t throw as hard had more success against the burg. The one that threw harder the burg pounded pretty good.

SoftballAlways
Waterboy

Post by SoftballAlways »

I don’t know why you would pitch around Brisker if you were ahead 8 - 1? One hit or even a HR should not be a big issue if your pitcher is dominating the remainder of the lineup...finding out what pitches work can prove valuable in another game when you don’t have the option to pitch around her...

Return to “Softball”