What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

ManitouDan2
SE

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by ManitouDan2 »

I dont know who decides when or how its released either . The whole thing is a touchy subject and you want to be sensitive to the players and coaches who did get picked . But if you have a league champ pitcher who went undefeated its hard ( impossible ?? ) to justify giving it to any other pitcher . I have mixed emotions , its not that want I to disparage or not congratulate the winner , but the other side of the coin is Ms Spence was clearly , beyond any shadow of any doubt , the most dominant pitcher in the league this year and didnt get the recognition she earned between the lines .

Was their an ace thrower out there whose performance topped what Spence did at Burg this year ?

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:01 pm I dont know who decides when or how its released either . The whole thing is a touchy subject and you want to be sensitive to the players and coaches who did get picked . But if you have a league champ pitcher who went undefeated its hard ( impossible ?? ) to justify giving it to any other pitcher . I have mixed emotions , its not that want I to disparage or not congratulate the winner , but the other side of the coin is Ms Spence was clearly , beyond any shadow of any doubt , the most dominant pitcher in the league this year and didnt get the recognition she earned between the lines .

Was their an ace thrower out there whose performance topped what Spence did at Burg this year ?
Based on the fact that burg went undefeated in league not sure burgs young SS shouldn’t have been player of year. This one would be tough because there are other young ladies that had great years but the tie breaker is usually who won the league

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

It's frustrating for these kids who work their butts off and put up the numbers and coaches give the credit to someone else.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Burg might be beating down on those teams with the shady coaches even more next year

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

It will definitely be an interesting read when the awards are released. I can not believe a team goes undefeated the entire season and not have the coach of the year award. I believe the girl from the Burg who pitches is young but that is no excuse. The best player at each position should be the one who gets the nod for the award no matter what team they are from. Teams shouldn’t get an award because of the thought of every team should have kids on the list. This water cooler talk of who to vote for needs to be stopped. Maybe the media will get involved when the list if released and expose the happenings of the voting. I think the public release of who each coach votes for would help with this problem.

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Personally I feel like every team in conference should have at least one or two kids on team. One team should not have half there team on it. No matter what one fan base believes is right . The same argument can be made from all other teams that one team thinks they deserve there whole team on it. That’s no where close to being right. All kids put in the work and should be recognized from that team equally divided among the league teams. seen this before and Coachs from conference knows the best since they are around kids every day.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Don’t understand the shady coach quote and all kids work to make a team and should all be treated equally. Numbers don’t mean everything

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Most, if not all schools are out for the summer, baseball and softball heading to the final four, banquets have been completed and they can’t announce all league!!! INSANE

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

What about giving a trophy to all team members since it’s a team game.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Yeah participation trophies thats a great idea .. Good Lord .

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

Prime Time wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:51 pm All kids put in the work and should be recognized from that team equally divided among the league teams. seen this before and Coachs from conference knows the best since they are around kids every day.
This is what is wrong with team sports these days thinking since all kids put in the work then they deserve something. I agree this is a parent who coaches their kid at the HS level. They think they know best since they are around their kids. They shouldn’t be able to coach or vote for their kid at this level. School boards shouldn’t allow this to happen if they want successful programs that WIN. If they want par or sub-par seasons then they should continue to let this happen. These participation trophies and awards are ruining the sport.

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Feel like I'm kicking a dead horse but does the SOC1/SOC2 have a commissioner or president ? I'm curious to who is holding up the awards from being released . The only excuse out there that is even remotely plausible is Minford is still alive in baseball . But that would be just dumb to have a rule that says softball conference awards cant be released til baseball is over . 2 different sports , they have zero to do with one another . Why would be accomplished by waiting ?

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Graduations have happened , teams have end of season banquets , Summer travel ball has started , but no conference awards released .

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:25 am I've said it a couple times . I think its worth repeating . I dont have any dog in this argument / discussion ( I dont coach anywhere either) . Its my own belief the best players who had the best year should be recognized for it . Its that simple . Period . But this year , among many years of nonsensical voting , Syd Spence didnt win Pitcher of the Year , Coach Ruby did not win Coach of the year . And as an impartial observer it makes the league and its voting coaches look silly or jealous or whatever adjective you wish to use . Burg went undefeated with a crazy young team in a year where other teams were supposed to catch them . They pretty much destroyed the competition even though they started nearly a new team . So how can the pitcher who didnt lose not win the pitcher award ? how can a coach with a new roster go undefeated and not win the coach award ? It doesnt take a math genius to add the 2 plus 2 to get 4 . Sad stuff really . Until SOME , not everyone , SOME get called out you will continue to see this . Make the votes public at the meeting ( to the coaches) , the behind the doors , water cooler stuff will be exposed . It probably wont stop it but at least you know who the culprits are .
Good posts. Awards are challenging. Some are cut and dry. Others may be a little unclear. But coaches need to enter the discussion with what’s the best decisions for the players and the game. That certainly wasn’t done given that COY was not Wheelersburg. Then define what criteria goes into COY. If winning the league doesn’t do it what does. Basically the other coaches take it away from the deserving coach because they “won it several times”. Let’s see Waverly win league next season and their coach not get selected COY. They decide that NW coach really wanted to win COY so they give it to them. It should be embarrassing to all the coaches to lower the standard. And we wonder why kids demand lower standards. Coaches help to lower the bar.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Its one thing to say " well Burg had 3-4 D1 players who were juniors/ seniors and won the conference, any coach could do that " Its another to take a group of freshman and soph's in a league where other teams got older and more experienced and make several key moves that produced an undefeated season . Her best player was a freshman . Her pitcher had not threw any ( or a few a most ) HS innings period . But the voting coaches think someone else did a more outstanding job ? Maybe its simple sexism , they dont like getting it handed to them year after year after year from a lady . Or jealousy . Either way its ugly behavior .

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:17 am Its one thing to say " well Burg had 3-4 D1 players who were juniors/ seniors and won the conference, any coach could do that " Its another to take a group of freshman and soph's in a league where other teams got older and more experienced and make several key moves that produced an undefeated season . Her best player was a freshman . Her pitcher had not threw any ( or a few a most ) HS innings period . But the voting coaches think someone else did a more outstanding job ? Maybe its simple sexism , they dont like getting it handed to them year after year after year from a lady . Or jealousy . Either way its ugly
Last edited by fbnut on Thu May 31, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

Great coaches teach their players there’s no “I” in team. Great players understand that and put the “we” over the “me”. Maybe that’s why Ruby and Burg didn’t get the votes because they didn’t care. They were worried about being successful as a TEAM. And they were.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Browns30 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:29 am Great coaches teach their players there’s no “I” in team. Great players understand that and put the “we” over the “me”. Maybe that’s why Ruby and Burg didn’t get the votes because they didn’t care. They were worried about being successful as a TEAM. And they were.
So what were the other coaches thinking when they voted?

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

fbnut wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:36 am
Browns30 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:29 am Great coaches teach their players there’s no “I” in team. Great players understand that and put the “we” over the “me”. Maybe that’s why Ruby and Burg didn’t get the votes because they didn’t care. They were worried about being successful as a TEAM. And they were.
So what were the other coaches thinking when they voted?

They were voting for who they were asked to vote for.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Going to be even more controversial when they do release . You cant assign this to anything but a concerted effort to avoid picking the very obvious choices for Pitcher and Coach of the year. Its just sad .

Return to “Softball”