Jr. High Softball report

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Re: Jr. High Softball report

Post by captainmorgan_ »

ColdHardTruth wrote:She plays travel ball with a bunch of those girls too I believe. Hate to hear that for Ironton. They could be really down this year by their standards.
What travel squads do all of these kids play for?

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

captainmorgan_ wrote:
ColdHardTruth wrote:She plays travel ball with a bunch of those girls too I believe. Hate to hear that for Ironton. They could be really down this year by their standards.
What travel squads do all of these kids play for?

Most of those girls play for Ky Magic. Although I have heard that four or five have left the team this coming season. Either deciding not to play anymore or going to other teams.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

which teams do all the "standout" kids mentioned earlier play on? there were a lot of names listed

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

The Hughes girl from Oak Hill plays for Ohio Lasers and the Sturgill girl from Burg played for Ohio Hawks this past summer. I believe she is playing for a different team this coming season but not sure who. She has played for a few different teams including Crush and Ohio Thunder.

There is another girl from Chesepeake that is a pretty strong player. Easily one of the top pitchers in the area. She is an 8th grader also. This past summer she played on MOV Fury out of West Virginia. They won the 12u A championship in Orlando this year.
Last edited by SOSoftball on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

ColdHardTruth wrote:Portsmouth - 7th grader Perry(pitcher/infield)
Clay - 8th grader Cochran (shortstop/pitcher)and the 7th grade pitcher.
Valley - their pitcher named Faith (can't think of her last name)
Oak Hill - (all of them lol)
Green - Jenkins (pitcher/catcher) Kimbler (Shortstop/Pitcher) Carver (1st Base)
Ironton - Richendollar (pitcher)
Burg/Note Dame- Solid squads, no standouts though.
Webster - Messler (pitcher) Bailey (catcher)
East, New Boston - None
what about some of these kids?

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

Portsmouth ---Perry - Buckeye Elite
Clay -- Cochran (Not Playing that I know of), Lutz - Crush
Valley -- Faith - Buckeye Elite
Oak Hill -- Hughes - Ohio Lasers, There is another girl from Oak Hill I believe named Davis plays on Crush
Green -- Jenkins - SO Storm, Kimbler - ??? , Carver - ???
Ironton -- Richendollar - Ky Magic
Burg/Note Dame- Solid squads, no standouts though.
Webster - Messler - ??? Bailey- SO Storm

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

SOSoftball wrote:The Hughes girl from Oak Hill plays for Ohio Lasers and the Sturgill girl from Burg played for Ohio Hawks this past summer. I believe she is playing for a different team this coming season but not sure who. She has played for a few different teams including Crush and Ohio Thunder.

There is another girl from Chesepeake that is a pretty strong player. Easily one of the top pitchers in the area. She is an 8th grader also. This past summer she played on MOV Fury out of West Virginia. They won the 12u A championship in Orlando this year.
sturgill- ohio outlaws

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

I believe that are other girls that are really good players that have not been mentioned yet either that are further east from us but still in Southeastern Ohio.

You have a 7th Grader from Coal Grove that is a pitcher and would compete as one of the top 7th grade pitchers in the area. She play for the Outlaws.

You have the girl I mentioned above from Chesepeake.

The Blevins girl from Minford can play with any catcher in the area.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

Don't hear much about catchers on here just usually pitchers and middle infield. Glad to see someone is putting work in

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

There are a few kids on three or four of those local travel teams that could play for some of the top teams in the state but have chosen not too for whatever reasons.

But that is what hurts teams in this area. I can count 8 "travel" teams in Scioto and Greenup Counties (all within 20-30 minutes of each other) in this age group of Junior High Students (14u). I am not counting 12u which would be most of your 7th graders.

When you are trying to play against some of these teams in other parts of the state it makes it difficult. When the roster is really only 5-6 deep when you start seeing a drop in talent and you are playing against teams that are 10-11 deep. I am not saying they can't compete against some of the top teams cause I think there are 3 or 4 teams that can but its tough to win against them.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

^ Very true , I've been around a while and So Ohio has never been able to group the talent together , and I dont think they never will be able to . Too many obstacles . But the players are there for sure .

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

You seem very knowledgeable of area softball SOS. Would be interesting to see a team of the best 12 in the area & see if they could actually compete with the elite teams.

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

Softballdad wrote:You seem very knowledgeable of area softball SOS.
Not sure I would claim to be knowledgeable in softball in this area. But I would say in this age group I am familiar with the teams and girls. My daughter is in this age group so she has played with or against most of the girls in this age group for several years from Little League to Travel Ball to now Middle School. Which would include girls in Scioto, Lawrence and Greenup counties.

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

Softballdad wrote: Would be interesting to see a team of the best 12 in the area & see if they could actually compete with the elite teams.
I think they could compete but not sure they would win a lot over the course of a full tournament.

Offensively and defensively they could match up with those teams but I think the pitching wouldn't be where it needs to be.

If your just looking at Scioto County I am not sure there is what I would call an elite pitcher yet in this age group. There are several that are good and a few that are very good but I just don't think a team put together from the area would be deep enough in that position to play 4 or 5 games deep on Sunday.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

Definitely catch some games this year & see all the talent. Like to see what a D1 8th grader looks like. What positions do these girls play?

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

Softballdad wrote:Definitely catch some games this year & see all the talent. Like to see what a D1 8th grader looks like. What positions do these girls play?
You made me go back through to see if I stated they were D1 players.

If your talking about the two that were mentioned the burg kid is a catcher and the last time I seen the Hughes girl she was playing either third or short. But that was a while ago.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

Sorry. It was others who said it.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

There is nothing wrong with stating a 8th grader PROJECTS as a D1 player. At that age they are 2nd year 14U and the major D1's are all over the top players in the nation and the mid majors are playing close attention as well. Heck my own DD played in front of UCLA , KY , Oklahoma , Washington and many others at 14U nationals in a single game that started after midnight . ( mainly to watch the Corona Angels ) . Kid off her team got an invite to Washington's camp that fall. So there is no need to act surprised or miffed that a D1 school has interest in a 8th grader. It isn't the norm , but it sure isn't unusual. I know for sure a local 8th grader was invited to a Big Ten camp this winter . That doesn't mean the player will get an offer , just that there is some interest there .

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

ManitouDan2 wrote:There is nothing wrong with stating a 8th grader PROJECTS as a D1 player. At that age they are 2nd year 14U and the major D1's are all over the top players in the nation and the mid majors are playing close attention as well. Heck my own DD played in front of UCLA , KY , Oklahoma , Washington and many others at 14U nationals in a single game that started after midnight . ( mainly to watch the Corona Angels ) . Kid off her team got an invite to Washington's camp that fall. So there is no need to act surprised or miffed that a D1 school has interest in a 8th grader. It isn't the norm , but it sure isn't unusual. I know for sure a local 8th grader was invited to a Big Ten camp this winter . That doesn't mean the player will get an offer , just that there is some interest there .
Wow

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

I wish recruiting didn't start that early but it is what it is . Flosoftball.com has a list of the top 100 2020 players already published.

Return to “Softball”