THE WAY TO EARLY HIGH SCHOOL REPORT

softballfan2112
Riding the Bench

Re: THE WAY TO EARLY HIGH SCHOOL REPORT

Post by softballfan2112 »

Browns30 wrote:
softball19 wrote: You have several players in the SOC that have verbally committed to play at the next levels such as Burg, Oak Hill,West, etc.
What players and to what schools have they verbally committed?
3 Wheelersburg players signed Letters of Intent this past week.
Coleman MSU
Klaiber LIU
Howard NKU

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

What others players to watch out for? There has to be more. Don't be shy, post em!

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

Anyone? Ironton has a few who will surely be D1 recruits. Symmes Valley junior? Pitcher Rock hill? Portsmouth Clay is young but successful, who are their standouts?

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

I know Ironton has some good freshman , is that who you are referring to about being D1 recruits ? SV Jr Taylor Webb is a fine player , certainly can play at the next level. Clay might not have single standouts , all of the that one class ( fr or soph's ?) are really solid .

Northwest will surprise some people , and Minford has good talent .

softball19
Waterboy

Post by softball19 »

Clay is solid all the way through. They work together really well. Ironton has a good Freshmen class that are very versatile. Minford will return strong,and Northwest is making their way. West will be strong as well. These are just my take on it.

orangeandblack98
Riding the Bench

Post by orangeandblack98 »

fbnut wrote:
ManitouDan2 wrote:Burg has an outstanding soph that will take care of their pitching for the next 3 years . And who knows who will develop in that time frame . They have a freshman who is just starting taking lessons recently , I had her at 56-58 MPH this fall. So I wouldnt worry about Burg in the circle at all. Ironton has a great group coming up for sure , but in general freshman make you better not enough to win leagues or districts. Glad to hear Green and NB has some players coming up . Them and New Boston both have been really down for years .
I am guessing the burgs senior that just led them to the state championship will handle most of there pitching this year. The Soph is very good(probably one of the best in area) but she'll have to wait until 18-19 to take over.
You are right but I see the sophomore pitcher getting plenty of time in the circle in the spring.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

what travel squads do the high school standouts play on?

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

I can give you a couple . Just giving info here not saying who is , or will be a " standout " but these are all solid players investing strongly in their game

Doles from Waverly plays for Wendell Hutchinson's Hawks team . They sent around 1/2 their roster to D1 schools this past year .
The pitcher from Clay - Swayne - Plays for Ohio Glory
SS from Oak Hill . Ohio Glory
C-OF Newman , from Northwest - Ohio Glory
Fairfields P White joined a Buckeye Heat team this fall I think
Burg freshman speedster is also a Ohio Glory player
NW also has another C playing for Ohio Glory
Burgs Soph pitcher Claxon is either Rage or Stingray ?

For seniors mentioned in this thread Coleman from Burg was Stingray and HOH -Rage , Howard from Burg was a Heart of Ohio-Rage player , but both might have moved on to Steve Gambone's Laser Red team ? Klaiber was also a Rage player . Mary Pica played for a Glory team . Whitman from ND was a Doom player .
Thats far from complete but its a start for others to add to .

Softballpops17
Waterboy

Post by Softballpops17 »

ColdHardTruth wrote:They will always have good pitching. Just not the dominate they see accustomed to I think. You know as well as I do pitching takes years in softball to develop. The freshman better buckle down and get with a good pitching coach if she's going to be an impact player as a pitcher before she graduates.

As for your Notre Dame dominance question..
Probably next year more so than this when their pitching is seniors and that group of freshmen they will have get a year under their belt.
ND will be very solid this year. 17 or 18 wins last year. Only lost 2 seniors but with the freshman coming in this season easily replaces what they lost talent wise. But to say they will be dominant more next year than this coming season I honestly dont see that one. I mean their three seniors this year are power hitters, one is the centerfielder, one a 1st baseman and one the 3rd baseman all 3 very solid defensive players.
Ball signed to play college at Alice Loyd
Hadsell from what I have heard is leaning towards signing at Walsh University but has a few other options.
Schaffer will be going to college for basketball but could easily sign to play softball if she wanted.
Then of course you have Whitman verbally committed to Transy University. So this years talent is there..
Then you look at 2018 season do they have 3 freshman coming in that can fill the shoes of the
three that will graduate in 2017. Just don't see that the case there..
Clay lost 3 to graduation and nothing coming in to replace but the sophomore class is solid but don't know if they can pick up where Carter, Cooper and their other Senior left off (can't remember her name)
Symmes Vally lost a bunch of players and still have a lot of talent that will be competitive.
So it should be an exciting season

In the other SOC of course Burg wins it, the rest will battle for second. I'm gonna say it's a toss up for second with Waverly, Minford, West and Valley but give the edge Minford cause of their senior pitcher and some tallented freshman than can help in a few ways this year.

Getting excited cause it will be an competitive year other than another year of Burg being dominate. There is loads of talent in our area and it's the ones you see playing Spring Summer and Fall.

Merry Christmas all!!

orangeandblack98
Riding the Bench

will anyone be able to compete with burg?

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

I dont think so unless Howard in the circle gets injured , then their # 2 is really good. Faith is dominant for this area , great movement , great change , throw its about 60 . Shes the real deal , one of the best , maybe the best pitcher this area ( scioto co ) has ever seen . I cant think of anyone better in the past 6-8 years. Girl from Valley is close , but Faith's resume of a state championship makes it hard to argue against her .

softballfan2112
Riding the Bench

ManitouDan2 wrote:I dont think so unless Howard in the circle gets injured , then their # 2 is really good. Faith is dominant for this area , great movement , great change , throw its about 60 . Shes the real deal , one of the best , maybe the best pitcher this area ( scioto co ) has ever seen . I cant think of anyone better in the past 6-8 years. Girl from Valley is close , but Faith's resume of a state championship makes it hard to argue against her .
The pitching will obviously be there, but let's not forget that Burg sported quite possibly the best defense in the state last year, and had an offense that could hang with the best of them. Depending on how a couple of last year's underclassmen mature they can be just as good as last year. I won't call second base an area of concern, but it is an area where someone is going to have to step up. There are some players capable of doing it. It is just a matter of who, and what do you take away from the outfield if you move someone in there? I don't know a lot about the freshman class coming in, but I'm hearing that a few of them can contribute.

The 3 big losses on defense are SS, CF, and 1B.
Just speculating from here on:
Moving Coleman to SS is probably the first move leaving second base up for grabs.
The Claxon girl is capable of filling first base and swapping out with Howard in the circle on occasion. She seems to have the bat to fill the role, but has big shoes to fill there defensively. It is easy to underestimate just how good Salyers was there. Automatic is an understatement. Just throw it in her direction, and she will make you look good.
CF is a question mark. Reyes could really go get them out there. Risner could fill it, but I imagine she is an option at second base which would leave another opening in the outfield.
Seniors Swimm and McQuay are both likely starters somewhere in the outfield as well.
3B and Catcher should be on lockdown with returning senior starters Klaiber and Bergan. Both have big bats in the middle of the lineup.

The lineup has potentially 6 senior starters, great pitching, ample power, lots of speed, and championship experience.
Scoring lots of runs and giving up very few is a recipe for success. There are big expectations for this team to go very deep into the playoffs.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Good review of the Pirates -- Thanks . Wish more people would offer up info like that.

orangeandblack98
Riding the Bench

its getting closer, how would everyone rank the SOC teams?

Noodle319
Freshman Team

Post by Noodle319 »

I will go first

Wheelersburg - Program is top shelf
Valley - Tough last year and don't think they lost a bunch
Minford - Tough last year, great group of freshman, pitching might be a problem
Waverly - Should be down from last year but still good
Portsmouth West - Why not
Northwest - Watched Oak Hill score 24 on them last year and turn around and score 20 on Oak Hill the next game. Not sure
Oak Hill - Very young, probably going to start 4 freshman and a sophomore, good days are coming. Best hotdog sauce in the SOC.
South Webster - Somebody has to.

Noodle319
Freshman Team

Post by Noodle319 »

Practice starts Monday, what's the news

softballfan2112
Riding the Bench

Noodle319 wrote:Practice starts Monday, what's the news
Wheelersburg is good.

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

Looking like some nice weather to get practices started

You can't handle the truth
softballfan2112
Riding the Bench

Burg has been outside quite a bit. The offense will be strong, probably as strong as last year. The pitching is every bit as good with more experience and depth. Still looking for the right combination defensively. The pieces are there. They won't be as strong as last year. That team was special defensively, but they will be fine.

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

Waverly has a new coach this year. Scott Hayes from Lebanon. He is changing things up for the better and taking a great interest in the Jr High and summer rec ball programs at Waverly. I look for great things from this program in the future

Return to “Softball”