Next Level Signings ?

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Re: Next Level Signings ?

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

You guys are funny. There is a reason players transfer to NAIA from Div 1.!!! Playing time, not as good as the players at Div 1, realize that for for them to play they have to work harder than they ever have before. Come on guys, funny. How many of you even played Div.1 ball? How many of you even played the game you are coaching? Let me know how much fun your Div 1 player has for you next year? None of you answered my question about where would your daughter/son go OSU, UK, SSU, Tiffin, Campbellsville???

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Softball fan, slamming south Webster huh?? Ask Brett Roberts (Morehead State), Jeff Ramey (Indiana), Mike Estep (OSU), Keith Throckmorton (Marshall), Mike Crotty (Indiana), Brian Williams (Morehead State) how they all got looked at? Wasn't showcases, Div. 1 coaches heard about them and came and watched them at their respective schools---South Webster, Valley, Northwest, Portsmouth

softballfan2112
Riding the Bench

Post by softballfan2112 »

I personally know all of those guys. Last I checked, they are all baseball players, and they played 20+ years ago. Times have changed. Coaches don't recruit the same way they did in 1988. And no I am not slamming South Webster. Just stating facts. Coaches want to see players play against the best competition so they can evaluate their talents against it. That is why they go to showcase tournaments in the summer, and don't bother with high school conference games in Southern, Ohio.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote:Softball fan, slamming south Webster huh?? Ask Brett Roberts (Morehead State), Jeff Ramey (Indiana), Mike Estep (OSU), Keith Throckmorton (Marshall), Mike Crotty (Indiana), Brian Williams (Morehead State) how they all got looked at? Wasn't showcases, Div. 1 coaches heard about them and came and watched them at their respective schools---South Webster, Valley, Northwest, Portsmouth
Different sport, different time. Very few kids get full rides in baseball or softball. Anyone care to take a guess how many kids on college basebal and softball teams are on full rides?

softballfan2112
Riding the Bench

fbnut wrote:
clevelandbrowns#1 wrote:Softball fan, slamming south Webster huh?? Ask Brett Roberts (Morehead State), Jeff Ramey (Indiana), Mike Estep (OSU), Keith Throckmorton (Marshall), Mike Crotty (Indiana), Brian Williams (Morehead State) how they all got looked at? Wasn't showcases, Div. 1 coaches heard about them and came and watched them at their respective schools---South Webster, Valley, Northwest, Portsmouth
Different sport, different time. Very few kids get full rides in baseball or softball. Anyone care to take a guess how many kids on college basebal and softball teams are on full rides?
There aren't a lot. Rosters are around 20 or so. Assuming a D1 school is fully funded, they have 12 scholarships, D2 will have 7, and NAIA 10. There will be very few full rides while the remaining money will be split up among the rest of the roster. You may find that a stud pitcher, catcher, or short stop may get full rides while corners and outfielders get varying degrees less.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

At the college world series a few years back the announcer made the comment that out of the 200 players there, only 2 were on full ride. Junior college 24 scholarships to offer.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

To get back on topic , not many go play in college , its tough to juggle grades and ball , so big congrats to all who make it .

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Proving my point! Why aren't Div 1 coaches knocking the door down for Southeastern Ohio players? Talent + work habits+ grades + attitude+ heart. If you don't have these skills they won't come knocking. This equals = no Div 1 coaches signing your daughters or mine!!!

But none of you answered my questions on what college would your child and you choose? How many of you played the game? How many of you played at the college level? Reason why not answered I think we all know.

fbnut
    SEOP

Post by fbnut »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote:
      Proving my point! Why aren't Div 1 coaches knocking the door down for Southeastern Ohio players? Talent + work habits+ grades + attitude+ heart. If you don't have these skills they won't come knocking. This equals = no Div 1 coaches signing your daughters or mine!!!

But none of you answered my questions on what college would your child and you choose? How many of you played the game? How many of you played at the college level? Reason why not answered I think we all know.
      I confess, I did not play Fastpitch softball in highschool :lol:

clevelandbrowns#1
      Varsity

Lol-- how about the other questions??

softballfan2112
      Riding the Bench

I played baseball. I played in college for free, and played a little pro ball after. My daughter has committed to a very good D2 school, and combined with athletic money, she is a couple of ACT points away from going to a $50,000 per year school for free as well. How this affects this topic, I don't know, but you asked. What I can assure you is that she was not recruited during a high school softball game.

ManitouDan2
      SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Congrats fan .. Sounds like a great deal .

Falcon01
      S

Post by Falcon01 »

I opened a can of worms.. my bad.. wasn't my intention

BUT Criner had another huge game yesterday. Bases loaded/clearing double, then 3run homer and solo. Kid rakes.. and her D at SS wow's

BudLytle
      Riding the Bench

Post by BudLytle »

Having a daughter who just completed her freshman season at a D2 school... I will tell you that she did not get recruited at her high school games. She was exclusively recruited by D1, D2, D3, and NAIA schools during summer ball. Anyone who believes that anyone is going to be recruited or seen at HS games in todays era knows absolutely nothing about the current recruiting process. Not only do you have to play in the summer you must play for a team that gets you in the tournaments college coaches attend. On top of this you must also go to camps, get in front of the coaches and give them a reason to come see you play. After this, you need to contact coaches at colleges you are interested in and let them know where and when you are playing, they are not going to waste time on players who don't put in the time to be recruited. Finally, I will say this... clevelandbrowns#1... don't know how much softball you have watched in this area, but I have watched ALOT, and will tell you we have several D1 caliber players coming out of our area. Many CHOOSE not to go D1 for various reasons, and many times talent is not 1 of them. The fit for the school, the quality of education, relationship with players and coaches, smaller school environment, instant playing time and opportunity at success, etc., etc., etc. My daughter could have gone D1 and CHOSE not to because she absolutely loved the school she chose and decided it was a better fit for her! We get so caught up on D1, D2, D3, NAIA as parents and spectators... when what really matters is these young ladies going to school where they get some or all of their EDUCATION payed for playing a game they love to play and complete their degree to set them up for success in life. These athletic endeavors are only temporary, the degree they earn allows them to be successful in life!

softballfan2112
      Riding the Bench

BudLytle, it sounds like you and your daughter absolutely, "get it". I could not agree more.

Between the Lines
      Freshman Team

Post by Between the Lines »

BudLytle wrote:Having a daughter who just completed her freshman season at a D2 school... I will tell you that she did not get recruited at her high school games. She was exclusively recruited by D1, D2, D3, and NAIA schools during summer ball. Anyone who believes that anyone is going to be recruited or seen at HS games in todays era knows absolutely nothing about the current recruiting process. Not only do you have to play in the summer you must play for a team that gets you in the tournaments college coaches attend. On top of this you must also go to camps, get in front of the coaches and give them a reason to come see you play. After this, you need to contact coaches at colleges you are interested in and let them know where and when you are playing, they are not going to waste time on players who don't put in the time to be recruited. Finally, I will say this... clevelandbrowns#1... don't know how much softball you have watched in this area, but I have watched ALOT, and will tell you we have several D1 caliber players coming out of our area. Many CHOOSE not to go D1 for various reasons, and many times talent is not 1 of them. The fit for the school, the quality of education, relationship with players and coaches, smaller school environment, instant playing time and opportunity at success, etc., etc., etc. My daughter could have gone D1 and CHOSE not to because she absolutely loved the school she chose and decided it was a better fit for her! We get so caught up on D1, D2, D3, NAIA as parents and spectators... when what really matters is these young ladies going to school where they get some or all of their EDUCATION payed for playing a game they love to play and complete their degree to set them up for success in life. These athletic endeavors are only temporary, the degree they earn allows them to be successful in life!
      BudLytle Your post explains it all, great reply. If a young lady is thinking about the next level its not only about finding a good travel team its also about finding a team that plays in the right tournaments.

fpcoach
      Freshman Team

Post by fpcoach »

Boatman from Northwest going to Rio

Return to “Softball”