Coronavirus: What happens to the season?

Carzycurt
Freshman Team

Re: Coronavirus: What happens to the season?

Post by Carzycurt »

Season will be shortened, Mark my word! Be a half season played then to tournaments

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

With the mass hysteria, every school will probably cancel. Hopefully they move the season back a week

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Some NCAA programs have cancelled remaining winter sports and spring sports. If this is happening at that level, I think it would be hard for high school level to continue as normal.

Not saying I agree with it. Just what I see happening. I think we are about to see a lot of local schools close its doors in the next week or two.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

There's no need to freak out and cancel schools and spring sports right now. What good is closing schools going to do? First of all, that age group isn't even at risk. If we're afraid of spreading to the elderly, then don't visit grandma and grandpa until this this over. Kids aren't going to stay home. They will gather with their friends, go to the mall or go to the movies where they would probably have a higher chance of contracting the virus than if they were at school. What about seniors who will play their last season of baseball or softball? What about their senior prom and graduation? These kids are at a very low risk, wash your hands, let them live their lives!!!

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

longball wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:24 am There's no need to freak out and cancel schools and spring sports right now. What good is closing schools going to do? First of all, that age group isn't even at risk. If we're afraid of spreading to the elderly, then don't visit grandma and grandpa until this this over. Kids aren't going to stay home. They will gather with their friends, go to the mall or go to the movies where they would probably have a higher chance of contracting the virus than if they were at school. What about seniors who will play their last season of baseball or softball? What about their senior prom and graduation? These kids are at a very low risk, wash your hands, let them live their lives!!!
Many of them live with Grandma and Grandpa

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Realist wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:36 am
longball wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:24 am There's no need to freak out and cancel schools and spring sports right now. What good is closing schools going to do? First of all, that age group isn't even at risk. If we're afraid of spreading to the elderly, then don't visit grandma and grandpa until this this over. Kids aren't going to stay home. They will gather with their friends, go to the mall or go to the movies where they would probably have a higher chance of contracting the virus than if they were at school. What about seniors who will play their last season of baseball or softball? What about their senior prom and graduation? These kids are at a very low risk, wash your hands, let them live their lives!!!
Many of them live with Grandma and Grandpa
Many of them also have parents who have to go to work so they will be going to grandma and grandpas if school is closed. I mean we could argue both sides all day long. I just don't think everyone needs to panic and cancel everything right now. Take it day by day..

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Well with Ohio shutting schools down the next 3 weeks scrimmages start next week and start of season after, the season is most likely pushed back. If this doesn’t get better I think the season will be cancelled and I hate that thought.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Big Daddy 7371
Varsity

Post by Big Daddy 7371 »

are coaches had meeting with the kids tonight dosen't look good all those seniors who only play softball and baseball.
have heard allready college seniors are petitioning for senior year back. OHSAA has a storm brewing look for some of the younger seniors to ask for year back could happen

Miles Wood
Waterboy

Post by Miles Wood »

I'd say you can Kiss The Season Good Bye.

"The Autumn Wind Is A Pirate"
longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

I just don’t know why the NCAA flipped out and cancelled everything. Why didn’t they suspend then reevaluate in a couple of weeks? I hope the OHSAA isn’t so quick to cancel. It’s not “just a sport” to some. No season would be devastating to some.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hope they re-examine everything in 2 weeks. Let the experts see if things are going as expected or better/worse....then make a decision. No need to jump the gun on Monday and cancel the world until July. We have 3 weeks, check things out in a couple.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:13 pm Hope they re-examine everything in 2 weeks. Let the experts see if things are going as expected or better/worse....then make a decision. No need to jump the gun on Monday and cancel the world until July. We have 3 weeks, check things out in a couple.
Agreed. Especially since we are seeing how this break is doing on calming the spread.

25th Street NW
Varsity

Post by 25th Street NW »

I will be surprised if there is a baseball season. I compare it to predicting a snow storm by the media. They say we are going to get 10 inches and we get an inch. High school kids are at little risk. I have had almost perfect attendance at school the past two weeks. I saw it coming about three weeks ago and told my co-workers. It is a snowball effect/domino effect. That is the world that we live in today. People are scared of everything. I will be really sad for seniors who may never get to play any in their last year. Most of them will never get to play again.

bEagle
Waterboy

Post by bEagle »

The biggest problem with this for baseball is arms. Track coaches can send their players home and tell them to run on their own and if they do or don’t it really doesn’t matter. Meanwhile baseball teams are going to lose everything they’ve been working towards these last few weeks. You can’t take 3 weeks off and come back and throw 100 pitches in a game. Sad.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Big Daddy 7371 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:41 pm are coaches had meeting with the kids tonight dosen't look good all those seniors who only play softball and baseball.
have heard allready college seniors are petitioning for senior year back. OHSAA has a storm brewing look for some of the younger seniors to ask for year back could happen
It’s not happening.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I suspect that the season will be cut from 27 games to 16 or 18, and that a decision on this will be coming from the state by March 23rd at the latest. Teams will be advised by their leagues to cut their non-conference scheduling accordingly. Do not anticipate or bank on the tournament to be pushed back on the account of a delayed start to the season.

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

25th Street NW wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:54 pm I will be surprised if there is a baseball season. I compare it to predicting a snow storm by the media. They say we are going to get 10 inches and we get an inch. High school kids are at little risk. I have had almost perfect attendance at school the past two weeks. I saw it coming about three weeks ago and told my co-workers. It is a snowball effect/domino effect. That is the world that we live in today. People are scared of everything. I will be really sad for seniors who may never get to play any in their last year. Most of them will never get to play again.
But critics are in a no lose situation here. If canceling school and sports keeps the number of illnesses and deaths down, people will say "See!? We didn't need to cancel everything!"

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

I would be surprised if we have any spring sports played in Ohio. After this 3 week break, there is still a chance schools will have the break extended. I believe there is the thought that new directives are being handed down almost daily, so there is not a rush to plan too far in advance. I think we will see the dust settle, so to speak, before we start seeing a game plan laid out on how things will move forward.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Fonzie wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:45 am I would be surprised if we have any spring sports played in Ohio. After this 3 week break, there is still a chance schools will have the break extended. I believe there is the thought that new directives are being handed down almost daily, so there is not a rush to plan too far in advance. I think we will see the dust settle, so to speak, before we start seeing a game plan laid out on how things will move forward.
Indiana just announced their spring sports will continue.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

I think they need to actually asses these situations instead of first reaction being to cancel everything. Who is really being put at risk by allowing high school kids to play outdoor spring sports? No one comes to watch anyways so let them play.

Return to “Baseball”