Eastern Meigs Head Coach Search

on the black
Freshman Team

Eastern Meigs Head Coach Search

Post by on the black »

Unofficial... Eastern will be looking for a new head baseball coach for the first time in 19 years.
Last edited by on the black on Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bozo
S

Re: Eastern Meigs Head Coach Search

Post by Bozo »

Sad. Good baseball coaches get very little respect.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

I doubt it has much to do with him not getting respect. He was removed from the team last year 3/4 through the season. So its not like he was just non-renewed out of the blue. There had to have been a reason.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Fonzie wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:58 am I doubt it has much to do with him not getting respect. He was removed from the team last year 3/4 through the season. So its not like he was just non-renewed out of the blue. There had to have been a reason.
Yes there was. And it had nothing to do with baseball, but the district was justified.

Nuke LaLoosh
Riding the Bench

Post by Nuke LaLoosh »

So... who is coaching the team??? Shouldn't the kids have an answer to that question by now? I assume this is the time of year for open field... strength and conditioning... maintaining and making improvements to the baseball field... etc. Too good of a program to let these things fall through the cracks. Hopefully they get some answers soon.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

They might have hired someone. I just haven't heard of anyone yet. But I agree, the decision needs to be made as soon as possible. I'm not sure what OHSAA regulates as far as open fields and weight training (as a team, led by a coach) but field upkeep is critical right now. The health of your field in the fall, is exactly what you get come spring. Usually the school maintenance personnel will keep things mowed, but weeding, edging, and improvements are typically 100% on the coach this time of year. Hopefully they get things figured out.

Pic A Way
Waterboy

Post by Pic A Way »

Don’t know what everyone is hearing but NOTHING IS OFFICIAL YET. It is a possibility that Eastern will be searching for a new coach but nothing’s has been made public yet.

Pic A Way
Waterboy

Post by Pic A Way »

I believe coach Bowen is confident he had no wrong doing and will retain his position

Nuke LaLoosh
Riding the Bench

Post by Nuke LaLoosh »

Fonzie wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:29 am They might have hired someone. I just haven't heard of anyone yet. But I agree, the decision needs to be made as soon as possible. I'm not sure what OHSAA regulates as far as open fields and weight training (as a team, led by a coach) but field upkeep is critical right now. The health of your field in the fall, is exactly what you get come spring. Usually the school maintenance personnel will keep things mowed, but weeding, edging, and improvements are typically 100% on the coach this time of year. Hopefully they get things figured out.
Open Field is essentially the same as Open Gym. Unstructured, voluntary, coaches can be present and even participate by playing. Just no instruction or coaching (by coaches, paid or volunteer) is permitted. Typically, baseball and softball teams that hold open field have some of the veteran players organize whoever shows up into groups and they scrimmage. Much the same as open gym for basketball. Other off-season things that are permitted are individual (or small groups of 4) instruction. This is where coaching is permitted. And of course strength training, which has no limitation and is permitted year-round (and should be done year-round). As you mentioned, one of the most important pieces in the fall is field maintenance, and you are correct, in probably 95% of schools in Ohio (most likely 100% in SE Ohio, as you mentioned) the main thrust of the work has to be driven by the coaches... if it is going to get done, that is.

Carzycurt
Freshman Team

Post by Carzycurt »

Nuke LaLoosh wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:16 am So... who is coaching the team??? Shouldn't the kids have an answer to that question by now? I assume this is the time of year for open field... strength and conditioning... maintaining and making improvements to the baseball field... etc. Too good of a program to let these things fall through the cracks. Hopefully they get some answers soon.
I believe coach smith who has coached with coach Bowen for 3 years now has been keeping things up with the kids. Although I know he helps coach football too. But knowing him he will not let it slip through the cracks, he’s the one who kept it going after the issues with Bowen. Everyone gave credit to rocky but Smith was the one who was there through it all and handled everything.

Footballfan13
Waterboy

Post by Footballfan13 »

Smith got absolutely screwed! He wasn’t even aware of the situation showed up for a game and no coach! No explanation from the school or school board or AD! He just kept coaching and kept the kids as focused as possible. Did a great job and everyone gave the credit elsewhere

Pic A Way
Waterboy

Post by Pic A Way »

Footballfan13 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:21 pm Smith got absolutely screwed! He wasn’t even aware of the situation showed up for a game and no coach! No explanation from the school or school board or AD! He just kept coaching and kept the kids as focused as possible. Did a great job and everyone gave the credit elsewhere
The baseball program in general got screwed by the administration. Made decisions based merely on accusations and if it was the football coach it would’ve all been swept under the rug and that’s just the truth. But that’s what happens when your AD is the butthurt track Coach. That team had the potential to do something special, but you can’t expect teenage boys to stay focused through all that BS

Fields3
Waterboy

Post by Fields3 »

Pic A Way wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:52 pm
Footballfan13 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:21 pm Smith got absolutely screwed! He wasn’t even aware of the situation showed up for a game and no coach! No explanation from the school or school board or AD! He just kept coaching and kept the kids as focused as possible. Did a great job and everyone gave the credit elsewhere
The baseball program in general got screwed by the administration. Made decisions based merely on accusations and if it was the football coach it would’ve all been swept under the rug and that’s just the truth. But that’s what happens when your AD is the butthurt track Coach. That team had the potential to do something special, but you can’t expect teenage boys to stay focused through all that BS
Someone told me about this topic and I had to register so I could respond. First off the school did not handle the situation correctly ( with the baseball team) but when there is accusation made of certain contents then you have to act until there’s no merit found to them. Can’t believe there’s been nothing settled bye now but they need to be thorough for all parties! And coach smith did an outstanding job for the situation he was dealt! I don’t think anyone would want that situation but he stepped up and did it . The team suffered not for lack of leadership but they lost a coach they looked forward to playing for since little league. ( the timing was terrible)! But you can’t pick a time of an accusation. Best of luck to all parties involved hope it gets resolved soon .

Pic A Way
Waterboy

Post by Pic A Way »

The board has been more than thorough trying to dig something up on coach Bowen, they have been downright unfair. It isn't right to keep everyone waiting on a decision this long and what really doesn't make sense to me is that he is on paid leave so they are paying him right now to do nothing... MAKE A DECISION

Fields3
Waterboy

Post by Fields3 »

Pic A Way wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:38 am The board has been more than thorough trying to dig something up on coach Bowen, they have been downright unfair. It isn't right to keep everyone waiting on a decision this long and what really doesn't make sense to me is that he is on paid leave so they are paying him right now to do nothing... MAKE A DECISION
I don’t know everything being investigated, but I will agree there has been ample time committed to make a decision. Either there’s merit or there isn’t!

Pic A Way
Waterboy

Post by Pic A Way »

Heard a rumor... Don't know if there's any truth to it

Fields3
Waterboy

Post by Fields3 »

Pic A Way wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:17 pm Heard a rumor... Don't know if there's any truth to it
? Last I heard their was still no decision! But hopefully it’s settled soon .

putz
Waterboy

Post by putz »

I seriously doubts coach Bowen wants to come back after all this and the way he’s been treated

pomeroy panther
Waterboy

Post by pomeroy panther »

I'm hearing a certain former Meigs baseball coach is very interested in the job if it comes open

Fields3
Waterboy

Post by Fields3 »

pomeroy panther wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:41 pm I'm hearing a certain former Meigs baseball coach is very interested in the job if it comes open
That would be a huge mistake! Having brunty and smith their and saying to heck with them! But it is a move eastern would make!!! Wouldn’t surprise me. They need a complete overhaul

Return to “Baseball”