Portsmouth Trojan Baseball

Codeblue79
Waterboy

Portsmouth Trojan Baseball

Post by Codeblue79 »

Just got word that Josh Mcgraw resigned from Portsmouth. Sad to hear that. Wish him all the best. Was hoping he would be able to get the baseball program headed in the right direction. Now it's back to square one looking for a new coach. They need someone to come in and bring some continuity to the program. Again best of luck to Josh and his future endeavors and thank you for the time your we're here at Portsmouth. The returning players will be better because of your coaching.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Re: Portsmouth Trojan Baseball

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I heard it was a rumor. But found out it’s legit. I thought we are rebuilding. Now have to find a coach. Hopefully one that stays and builds a reputation and program.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Just one man's opinion, but Portsmouth athletics (football, basketball, baseball) need to start rebuild from bottom-level up. Every sport is a mess at the pee-wee level as too many guys with differing agendas coaching and doing things their own way due to little or no guidance from high school programs. Pee-wee football split between Trojans and Soldiers a perfect example. From a purely athletic standpoint, Portsmouth should be solid in every sport. But no real development plan in place for any sport, and their high school programs are down with not much help on the horizon.*

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Wish Josh the best......we just lost a coach who knows the game and was a very good player himself. Replacing him won't be easy, as there just hasn't been any stability with head coaches in football and baseball. 4 head coaches in 8 years in football, and at least 3 head coaches in baseball in the last 5-6 years. Basketball coach Eugene Collins is returning for his 11th season. I do think that in talking to football coach Bruce Kalb that he is going to be in it for the long term, which will be good for the program, especially after making the playoffs in his first season.

I agree with you, art, about the lower levels of Portsmouth athletics......I have heard this for years from people in the know and it has no doubt affected the performance of the varsity sports, putting the varsity coaches in a tough spot. Basketball has still been good, with this past season being only the 2nd losing season in the last 10 years.....but what looms ominous is that it looks like we won't have a freshmen basketball team for the first time in a long time, so maybe there are going to be ripple effects negatively affecting the basketball program. I sure hope it doesn't end up that way, but realistically the days of Portsmouth being a consistent basketball power and a major player yearly in the SE district are in the past. A good team every now and then, contending for the regional or state, is still very possible.

Although I don't follow baseball nearly as closely as basketball, I do know that the participation numbers are way down. It's difficult to field a competitive team with such low numbers (15-20) and have a adequate pitching staff.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

trojandave wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:02 pm Wish Josh the best......we just lost a coach who knows the game and was a very good player himself. Replacing him won't be easy, as there just hasn't been any stability with head coaches in football and baseball. 4 head coaches in 8 years in football, and at least 3 head coaches in baseball in the last 5-6 years. Basketball coach Eugene Collins is returning for his 11th season. I do think that in talking to football coach Bruce Kalb that he is going to be in it for the long term, which will be good for the program, especially after making the playoffs in his first season.

I agree with you, art, about the lower levels of Portsmouth athletics......I have heard this for years from people in the know and it has no doubt affected the performance of the varsity sports, putting the varsity coaches in a tough spot. Basketball has still been good, with this past season being only the 2nd losing season in the last 10 years.....but what looms ominous is that it looks like we won't have a freshmen basketball team for the first time in a long time, so maybe there are going to be ripple effects negatively affecting the basketball program. I sure hope it doesn't end up that way, but realistically the days of Portsmouth being a consistent basketball power and a major player yearly in the SE district are in the past. A good team every now and then, contending for the regional or state, is still very possible.

Although I don't follow baseball nearly as closely as basketball, I do know that the participation numbers are way down. It's difficult to field a competitive team with such low numbers (15-20) and have a adequate pitching staff.
The track team has a lot of the athletes....gotta have a good youth program to get some of those athletes back

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Tough break for the Trojans to lose McGraw. Best of luck to them, hope they figure something out that works for them.

Oaks1
Waterboy

Post by Oaks1 »

Did Portsmouth ever fill their coaching vacancy? Curious I haven't heard anything.

Codeblue79
Waterboy

Post by Codeblue79 »

Oaks1 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:21 pm Did Portsmouth ever fill their coaching vacancy? Curious I haven't heard anything.
Yes. Aaron Duncan was named the new head coach.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Coach Duncan knows his baseball as well and will do a good job , the biggest problem he will have is numbers , kids just don't play baseball like they used to back in the day I hope he sticks around and not get frustrated easy like they last couple coaches did and leave after one or two seasons that just keeps setting the program back years .

I think this was the right hire coach Duncan will have the program and kids best interest in the program

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Just skimming over different sports here and read your post biggdowgg. I disagree about kids just don’t play baseball like they use to. Maybe in Portsmouth they don’t but from where I stand most schools have ball players and have enough for 12-15 kids Whether it be div6,5,4,3, I see quality teams thru out. I don’t know the entire picture from where your at , is it the general base of no baseball athletes, just plan athletes that can play any sport, youth leagues, or the kids has no desire , or no athletic confidence to come out, or the desire to put in the work ethics. or is it a family thing of no money or poor living conditions . this would be a reflection on the current conditions pervading community’s and kids sitting in the house and no parental guidance or caring to help produce ball players. it’s a tough place to be in nowadays.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Portsmouth I think will improve. South point lost a lot, rock hill had a lot graduate, fairland won the ovc last year but not sure what they have. I’m not sure about the ovc teams this year. Numbers seem to be 17-18. Had that many last year but many quit. Weakness will be pitching speed. Nobody really threw heat. I’m excited for this year. I think Portsmouth has won 7 games each of the last 2 years. I expect a improvement

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

Fairland returns most of their lineup from last year. Should be pretty good.

Return to “Baseball”