Post by mattash »

Big loss for the SEO Sports Community

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
alabama mike
SE

Re: RIP Tom Metters

Post by alabama mike »

Tom "Portfolio" Metters was an icon in the sports world in southeastern Ohio. He was a class guy who treated everyone with respect. We became buddies later in his life but I treasure our friendship.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Never met the man but saw him many times at work. Always heard good things about the guy. RIP

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Sorry to hear about Tom's passing.
Think I'll go fix a root-beer float, Tom's favorite.

marklduckworth
Freshman Team

Post by marklduckworth »

He always took the time to talk to me and he was always a gentleman. He loved what he did and he did it dor all the right reasons. The Convo will not be the same.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I'm very sorry to hear this. I knew him a bit years ago.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

RIP Tom.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Tom was a good man and a lover of his Athens Bulldogs and the SEOAL.

He was one of the last links to the longstanding SEOAL Sportswriters and Broadcasters Association - with names like Junior Wilson, Craig Dunn, and Randy Heath still with us.

I learned a lot from Tom - both in person and from reading his work in The Messenger - I always enjoyed my chances to share our love of HS sports at Rutter Field or McAfee Gymnasium.

May his family and those who loved him find peace.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Hopefully they played a Johnny Cash Tune in the Pressbox last night in remembrance of Tom! Prayers to his Family!

Johnny Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Johnny Quest »

While walking into the baseball complex at Athens for the first time in 2002, I hear Johnny Cash on the P.A. system. I went to the Pressbox and expressed my pleasure to Mr. Metters , who I had just met, for his choice of music. We talked for awhile about the upcoming game and sports in general before the game started. I left with admiration and respect for a man who enjoyed his job. Prayers from Warren.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Known Tom since my days at OU. Only heard about his passing this morning in our local paper.
May it be a lesson for us all if you have a friend you haven't been in touch with in years go visit or call.
He really enjoyed talking SEOhio sports, the Bobcats, and the Reds.
A deserved Hall of Famer in every sense of the word. May God save a front-row credential for one of Athens' finest.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

I knew Tom for many years. I bet he’s sitting at that Crosley Field in the sky, right now watching a game. God blessed him.

Chas1434
Waterboy

Post by Chas1434 »

Tom was probably the best sportswriter the southeast district will ever know. At no time did he blame or point out a player who either missed shoot or made error that resulted in a loss for their team. His writing made may a southeastern Ohio athletes become noticed by colleges and other high school fans. If a player or coach would make a mistake in their quote Tom would correct it on the spot rather than having to print a retraction or make that person seem small. Tom could take a blow out and make it interesting and take a great game and make it better.I have been around two great sportswriters in my life one is Tom Metters and the other was Bill Robinson from Marietta. Not to take anything away from our current sportswriters who do an excellent job but I don’t think there will be another Tom. Prayers

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

alabama mike wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:44 pm Tom "Portfolio" Metters was an icon in the sports world in southeastern Ohio. He was a class guy who treated everyone with respect. We became buddies later in his life but I treasure our friendship.
"Sportfolio"

And yes, +1 on everything you said.

Return to “Baseball”