#8 Courthouse v #9 Logan Elm winner vs #1 Sheridan

#4 Miami Trace vs #5 McClain

#2 Circleville vs #7 New Lex

#3 Hillsboro vs #6 Fairfield Union

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by smurray »

25th Street NW wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:15 pm After 5/1 games: (I think)

Unioto 15-4
Athens 15-5
Zane Trace 15-5
Gallia Academy 13-7
Waverly 15-7
Marietta 15-8
Warren 10-7
Vinton Co. 12-8
Jackson 12-11
5 teams with 15 wins (none with more)
It would seem head to head and strength of schedule would prevail.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

smurray wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:00 pm
25th Street NW wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:15 pm After 5/1 games: (I think)

Unioto 15-4
Athens 15-5
Zane Trace 15-5
Gallia Academy 13-7
Waverly 15-7
Marietta 15-8
Warren 10-7
Vinton Co. 12-8
Jackson 12-11
5 teams with 15 wins (none with more)
It would seem head to head and strength of schedule would prevail.
I'd throw evaluating losses as well. This close of race, any and all info should be looked at closely.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

So do we play two games in the Sectional this year instead of one?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Raider6309 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:53 pm So do we play two games in the Sectional this year instead of one?
Yep

Unless you are the 8/9, then its 3.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Makes getting the #1 or #2 seed huge since the #3 will be on the road for the Sectional finals

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:15 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:53 pm So do we play two games in the Sectional this year instead of one?
Yep

#8 & #9 ought to have a coach's agreement not to throw their #1 against each other in the "play-in" game.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

doubleplay643 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:51 am
Yep

#8 & #9 ought to have a coach's agreement not to throw their #1 against each other in the "play-in" game.
haha sounds reasonable.
$100 says danicalifornia would disagree.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:14 am
doubleplay643 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:51 am

Yep

haha sounds reasonable.
$100 says danicalifornia would disagree.
Lol, we are struggling to hit anybody right now, so I don’t think it would matter. But, I really would understand a coach throwing their #2 in the “play-in” game. Because if you win, you’ll have a better shot of winning with your ace going anyways.

When I coached at Wilmington, our #1 had to come in in relief of our first tournament game when we threw our #2...we won, but he got to 31 pitches. The next day we had to face Mason with our #3 going, which was just a bit less than ideal (although he pitched extremely well)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Anyone know the reasoning behind throwing out a teams highest vote - and lowest?

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:15 am Anyone know the reasoning behind throwing out a teams highest vote - and lowest?
To eliminate the chance of a singular bias (either way) skewing the rankings. If a couple teams are close in the rankings, a coach could essentially pick their opponent (or help their own team) by voting themselves or either of the potential opponents way higher or way lower than what the other coaches are doing.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Someone explain to me in simple terms I can understand why in the heck is it so hard to take the nonsense out of this seeding selection method and apply non-subjective math to this process.

Something like the Harbin system in Football. Different points for beating teams of differing divisions, use a divisor to adjust for the different amount of games played since there can be 3-4 games or more difference in how many games each teams play.

Have the SEDAB or similar OHSAA organization keep track of this in a simple excel spreadsheet and rank them 1-9 or 1-10 or whatever it is for each division in each sectional.

It's 2019 people this shouldn't be this hard, and we all know that allegiances within each grouping affect the seeds. Yeah, yeah I know you got beat em all at some point but getting the seeds correct in an objective manner to start with can't be that hard can it?

Someone said the voting was due early this week and the results are posted Sunday? So how many games this week weren't even considered? No reason to not count every game played through Saturday, input the results, hit enter on your spreadsheet and post the seedings in 5 minutes. Yet we continue this 5-7 day process? I don't get it, seems crazy to me.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:21 am Someone explain to me in simple terms I can understand why in the heck is it so hard to take the nonsense out of this seeding selection method and apply non-subjective math to this process.

Something like the Harbin system in Football. Different points for beating teams of differing divisions, use a divisor to adjust for the different amount of games played since there can be 3-4 games or more difference in how many games each teams play.

Have the SEDAB or similar OHSAA organization keep track of this in a simple excel spreadsheet and rank them 1-9 or 1-10 or whatever it is for each division in each sectional.

It's 2019 people this shouldn't be this hard, and we all know that allegiances within each grouping affect the seeds. Yeah, yeah I know you got beat em all at some point but getting the seeds correct in an objective manner to start with can't be that hard can it?

Someone said the voting was due early this week and the results are posted Sunday? So how many games this week weren't even considered? No reason to not count every game played through Saturday, input the results, hit enter on your spreadsheet and post the seedings in 5 minutes. Yet we continue this 5-7 day process? I don't get it, seems crazy to me.
+1000

bunt pirate
Freshman Team

Post by bunt pirate »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:21 am Someone explain to me in simple terms I can understand why in the heck is it so hard to take the nonsense out of this seeding selection method and apply non-subjective math to this process.

I agree with you that it would make it simple, and with the added week to the season this year it makes even more sense. The only issue IMO would be that evaluating a baseball team is different than any other sport out there. Some teams look legit when #1 is on the hill, but blend in with the rest when #2-4 is out there. I understand you’ll need more than one pitcher to move along in the postseason, but depending on how teams go about the pitch count in the regular season could really effect their competitiveness each night. Some coaches try to use a guy a few times a week while others use more of a “major league” rotation that won’t be necessary come postseason. Not saying it wouldn’t work to use the computer based system, just something I thought could be a potential issue with evaluating a team for a “one & done” game. However, this system would seem to work perfectly for softball where the main throwers are on the mound the majority of their games. Just my two cents worth.

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

Managers would need to and would in the end adapt to the system, one thing for sure, the current system is a mess

Trevorstephens22
JV Team

Post by Trevorstephens22 »

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Cant complain with the No. 2 seed.

All Athens games will be broadcasted live at 970wath and online at 970wath.com.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Tonight was just a glimpse of what were about to encounter once the tournament gets underway next week.

Athens - 1
Marietta- 0

8 innings

Robo
Waterboy

Post by Robo »

The problem with SE district is ncaa seeding on the bracket They need to seed the whole Division than the seeded can put itself anywhere on the bracket. Central District, SW district does this but the SE district refuses to do this.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Robo wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:18 pm The problem with SE district is ncaa seeding on the bracket They need to seed the whole Division than the seeded can put itself anywhere on the bracket. Central District, SW district does this but the SE district refuses to do this.
And basically same for every SE district sport

It needs to end

Return to “Baseball”