Is the Pitch Count Rule Hurting the Game?

Fonzie
S

Re: Is the Pitch Count Rule Hurting the Game?

Post by Fonzie »

efarns wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:32 pm
Fonzie wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:16 am
efarns wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:19 pm

I was not an ace, but I generally knew what I got people out with earlier in the game. This isn't something that's beyond the capabilities of a high school pitcher. Teach them how to pitch and let them use their instincts.
I would love to believe this was true. Kids instincts tell them to throw junk or try and "blow it by" the guy. Kids throwing 70 aren't blowing it by many kids.

I think the bottom line is this, coaches want to be successful, if they struggle, parents (for the most part) don't care if little Johnny learned a lot if they are still losing. So coaches try to keep as much as possible within their control that they believe gives them a chance to win ball games. Which will allow them to keep their jobs.

Do you think college pitchers/catchers call their own games? Sure some do, but for the most part, coaches are still calling pitches at the next level. So lets not act like these high school kids are being short changed because their coach is calling the game.
I'm not arguing that it doesn't happen or it doesn't work. But it is certainly not for everybody. In my experience, a lot of the fun was in figuring out how to get people out. If a coach had been telling me what to throw, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed pitching as much and might not have played as long as I did. I wonder about how many players stop or don't play because 15 year-olds don't want to be micromanaged.
Yes because in the real world they will never have someone telling them what/how to do a task. Gotcha.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Fonzie wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:30 am
Fonzie wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:16 am

I would love to believe this was true. Kids instincts tell them to throw junk or try and "blow it by" the guy. Kids throwing 70 aren't blowing it by many kids.

I think the bottom line is this, coaches want to be successful, if they struggle, parents (for the most part) don't care if little Johnny learned a lot if they are still losing. So coaches try to keep as much as possible within their control that they believe gives them a chance to win ball games. Which will allow them to keep their jobs.

Do you think college pitchers/catchers call their own games? Sure some do, but for the most part, coaches are still calling pitches at the next level. So lets not act like these high school kids are being short changed because their coach is calling the game.
I'm not arguing that it doesn't happen or it doesn't work. But it is certainly not for everybody. In my experience, a lot of the fun was in figuring out how to get people out. If a coach had been telling me what to throw, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed pitching as much and might not have played as long as I did. I wonder about how many players stop or don't play because 15 year-olds don't want to be micromanaged.
Yes because in the real world they will never have someone telling them what/how to do a task. Gotcha.
That escalated quickly. don't know about you, but in my work, nobody is looking over my shoulder telling me how to do everything.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

efarns wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:02 am

That escalated quickly. don't know about you, but in my work, nobody is looking over my shoulder telling me how to do everything.
Which leaves you unemployed. No matter the occupation, there is some sort of oversight. Granted some may leave more individual freedom than others. Bottom line is coaches have a vested interest in the teams success, players health and safety, and ultimately, guiding their team towards success that will allow them to keep their job. We can agree to disagree. I respect a difference of opinions. Surely your experiences have shaped your opinion, as have mine.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Fonzie wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:12 am
efarns wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:02 am

Which leaves you unemployed. No matter the occupation, there is some sort of oversight. Granted some may leave more individual freedom than others. Bottom line is coaches have a vested interest in the teams success, players health and safety, and ultimately, guiding their team towards success that will allow them to keep their job. We can agree to disagree. I respect a difference of opinions. Surely your experiences have shaped your opinion, as have mine.
Despite an average arm, I had a winning record in high school, yet coaches were not calling pitches. I am employed, yet I have freedom in the way I accomplish my job. Bottom line - independence can work.

Return to “Baseball”