Eastern vs Waterford controversy

Chaw
Freshman Team

Eastern vs Waterford controversy

Post by Chaw »

Nothing against Eastern and I'm not bashing them, however I do believe Waterford got screwed over on this one. I'll set the scene and you tell me.
Going into the sixth inning, Waterford trailed Eastern 3-4. Waterford was away team so they bat first and end up scoring 3 runs to make it 6-4. Now I'm not accusing collusion by Eastern, but before their turn at bat I noticed the coach/ manager have a lengthy discussion with the umpires while Waterford pitcher was warming up and really thought nothing of it. Waterford got two quick outs and the third batter stepped to the plate and proceeded to amass a 1-2 count. Meaning one more strike and the inning was over. After the batter swings and misses for his second strike the umpire calls time and decided that it was too dark to continue. ?????? The time was 7:28.
Not very dark at all at that time. Waterford played a game two nights before that lasted until 7:50.
So the game was suspended. My understanding is that if Waterford got the third out. ( One more strike) the game would have been considered a completed game. Waterford wins. Now the game is suspended and we play another inning. I suppose that if the shoe was on the other foot then I would agree to suspend. However, the coach talking to the umpires before their turn at bat sounds very fishy. The catcher from Waterford was standing beside the coach/ umpire exchange when they were talking and said it was about how dark it was getting. So what do you think?
COLLUSION or NO COLLUSION??
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”

Chaw
Freshman Team

Re: Eastern vs Waterford controversy

Post by Chaw »

And why wouldn't they stop play after the batter was through. Instead of in the middle of the at bat??

Chaw
Freshman Team

Post by Chaw »

I think the umpire's name was Vladimir. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Doesnโ€™t sound good

Meagle
Freshman Team

Post by Meagle »

The game will be finished at Waterford, right before they play their second contest.

Hope you understand that the safety of the athletes is the first concern of the umpires. The same crew last night stopped a non conference game last year with a inning and a half to go. Game was never made up. So, being a top conference game in our league, this game should be finished to 7 innings.

Also, unless you know what was said between anyone, maybe you should stop assuming what was said.

Chaw
Freshman Team

Post by Chaw »

I do agree that it should definitely be played to 7 innings...however the batter should most definitely have finished the at bat and stopped after that if they believed it was too dark....there was only one person who thought it was too dark to continue. I mean c'mon one at the most three more pitches??....and as soon as the second strike, he stopped play? Why not stop it before the at bat?...the whole collusion statement is obviously a joke and shouldn't be taken literally...hence the laughing emoji at the end of the statement...I do understand that the umpires stopped play for darkness and in order to continue the game at a later date....it should be played to 7 innings...I'm just saying that it seems pretty fishy... especially after the meeting at the plate with the umpire and coach....maybe we should subpoena them all to testify under oath what was said... LMAO..(another joke)...c'mon. That's funny...you laughed....I am not accusing or bashing anybody from Eastern nor Waterford...it is a parody of our current political atmosphere and in no way meant to offend...I'm sorry if it did.... LMAO...๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘โœŒ๏ธโœŒ๏ธโœŒ๏ธ

Chaw
Freshman Team

Post by Chaw »

Btw...the catcher standing beside the coach/umpire does know what was said and he is the best friend of my son...however I am glad they stopped it in order to continue later...

Chaw
Freshman Team

Post by Chaw »

Perhaps it is commonplace to do this...idk

Meagle
Freshman Team

Post by Meagle »

Same as with a lighting strike, the moment an umpire believes it is unsafe to play, he must stop play.

By the way, seems to be the discussion was the pitcher possibly throwing illegally from the windup. Believe your catcher overheard and went to inform your pitcher. Then everything was fine. So, rather than assume, might want to gather facts.

Chaw
Freshman Team

Post by Chaw »

Lol...ok. I am sorry....some of us realize when we say something wrong... obviously you are the coach or close to him...which gives you far more presidence in the matter than I...I was just repeating what I was told so I retract the statement and apologize for any misconstrued information.

Chaw
Freshman Team

Post by Chaw »

However, my opinion of stopping the game due to darkness is still very much...shall I say...a bunch of BULL...the umpire's opinion on whether it was too dark is nothing comparable to a lightning strike. One is an opinion, much like my own, and the other is an obvious danger

Meagle
Freshman Team

Post by Meagle »

Thank you.

You are entitled to your opinion. However, not all umpires are the same. So, you will have to deal with the inconsistencies between them.

To get back to the game, these two programs have represented the TVC Hocking with dignity and pride in the past seasons. Sure to be another barn burner on April 15th. Would recommend all those who can, make the trip to see how his plays out.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Iโ€™m not surprised

Kendog029
Freshman Team

Post by Kendog029 »

So what happens if by chance this happens again April 15? They are going to try and squeeze in essentially 9 innings in same amount of daylight. Iโ€™m not knocking anyone in this situation cause I get safety first. Iโ€™m wonder if maybe the eagles will be coming up hour or so early to hopefully squeeze a game + in on 15th.

Kendog029
Freshman Team

Post by Kendog029 »

Also will the pitchers pitches be counted toward this week or the week of the 15th? Anyone know the answer to this

Chaw
Freshman Team

Post by Chaw »

The pitch count will be counted for this week...per ohsaa rules. And also..the discussion about the pitcher throwing illegally happened the inning before that when the relief pitcher was first brought in..it was the 5th inning. Not the 6th when they had that discussion

Meagle
Freshman Team

Post by Meagle »

Believe you are incorrect there with the illegal pitch comment.

Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

Dont apologize. It does sound fishy. I know most umpires try their best. Although I ha e argued calls in the past I have rarely questioned integrity. But I have seen it happen. Not saying it did here. But that seems like a very odd place to end a game. If you are correct about the full game rule. OR it could have been 100% coincidence and harmless. Wasnt there and didnt see it but I probably would have the same lingering questions there haha

swaggy7
Waterboy

Post by swaggy7 »

Chaw wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:42 pm Nothing against Eastern and I'm not bashing them, however I do believe Waterford got screwed over on this one. I'll set the scene and you tell me.
Going into the sixth inning, Waterford trailed Eastern 3-4. Waterford was away team so they bat first and end up scoring 3 runs to make it 6-4. Now I'm not accusing collusion by Eastern, but before their turn at bat I noticed the coach/ manager have a lengthy discussion with the umpires while Waterford pitcher was warming up and really thought nothing of it. Waterford got two quick outs and the third batter stepped to the plate and proceeded to amass a 1-2 count. Meaning one more strike and the inning was over. After the batter swings and misses for his second strike the umpire calls time and decided that it was too dark to continue. ?????? The time was 7:28.
Not very dark at all at that time. Waterford played a game two nights before that lasted until 7:50.
So the game was suspended. My understanding is that if Waterford got the third out. ( One more strike) the game would have been considered a completed game. Waterford wins. Now the game is suspended and we play another inning. I suppose that if the shoe was on the other foot then I would agree to suspend. However, the coach talking to the umpires before their turn at bat sounds very fishy. The catcher from Waterford was standing beside the coach/ umpire exchange when they were talking and said it was about how dark it was getting. So what do you think?
COLLUSION or NO COLLUSION??
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”
Cry me a river.

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

We needed time to practice the hook and lateral so we could win in the last at bat

Return to โ€œBaseballโ€