Looking Ahead To Spring 2018

Nuke LaLoosh
Riding the Bench

Looking Ahead To Spring 2018

Post by Nuke LaLoosh »

It seemed like 2017 was a big graduating class for several southeast Ohio teams. Will that shake things up any? Who do you think will have a chance to rise to the top next season?

What about coaching changes? Jim Thrash from Marietta retired after this season. Anyone else going to look any different next year?

We've had such good baseball in this area for the past few years and great representation from local teams in the Regionals, hope to see it continue to get stronger and see a team break through to the state soon.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Looking Ahead To Spring 2018

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto will be really good. 3 pitchers who threw over 30 innings and were sub 1.50 era, including SVC POY Harley Patterson who gave up 1 earned run over 56.1 innings this year. They have to replace 3 really good seniors, but should have enough pitching and defense to have another really good season.

Zane Trace, Adena, and Westfall should all have nice seasons out of the SVC as well.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

And Circleville has an opening.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Josh McGraw is now the new coach at his alma mater Portsmouth High School. Jackson coach might be decided in the next week or so.

Nuke LaLoosh
Riding the Bench

Post by Nuke LaLoosh »

Teams in the TVC (just at a glance, in no specific order; I'm no expert, so my numbers and facts could be a little off)...

Meigs... returns Mattox and Helton, plus a couple pitchers that were very young this year but got significant Varsity experience due to injuries to upperclassmen. This team was "down" this year but still took 2nd in the league, and will reload quickly I suspect.

Alexander... pitched Harris and Colburn most of the season, with a couple younger guys mixed in. Will be young again in 2018 but have some good talent coming. Will probably see some freshmen getting time on the varsity field next year.

Vinton County... look out for this team. They were young, they competed well at times in 2017, and they have a solid coaching staff that will get the program stronger. They surprised a few teams in 2017, and look for them to add more to the list next year.

Wellston... graduated some good athletes, but also return some that got good varsity experience. This team always feels like it could beat anyone at any time. Coach Stevens is doing a nice job of building excitement around baseball in Wellston.

River Valley... probably the hardest team to predict. Always seem to have good athletes, but struggle to put numbers in the win column.

Athens... maybe one of the biggest question-marks of 2018. They will have a whole different look for sure, as we have seen many of the same faces on the field for the past 3-4 years. I wouldn't sleep on them though. Two freshman played a lot of varsity time this year (and they were very good). They also had some good talent on the bench this year, who will certainly be hungry to get on the field and play next season. Some have wondered if Coach Stewart will continue to coach since his son is playing college ball next year (and his daughter is playing softball in high school). That might be the biggest question, but I think Athens has the potential to reload and be very good again in 2018.

Nelsonville-York... there is an uprising in NY, and it is baseball. Coach Dicken(s) are building a lot of excitement around baseball in a predominantly football culture. Robson is an all out stud on the diamond, and no doubt the 2018 team will be built around him on the mound as well as the plate. The whole team can hit well. The biggest question is going to be pitching. Dobbs and Robson got most of the wins in 2017. They will need a couple more guys to rise up and take the ball on the mound in 2018.

I look for next season to be a very interesting one. No team should blow through the league the way Athens did this year. But then again, I could be wrong. Baseball is a hard game to predict.

Normal_A_Ron
Riding the Bench

Post by Normal_A_Ron »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:30 am Unioto will be really good. 3 pitchers who threw over 30 innings and were sub 1.50 era, including SVC POY Harley Patterson who gave up 1 earned run over 56.1 innings this year. They have to replace 3 really good seniors, but should have enough pitching and defense to have another really good season.
^^^This. Of the four teams that made the district finals, Unioto has the best chance to get back. Athens lost 11 seniors, Marietta lost 10, Warren lost 8.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

NY will compete for a league title next year.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Nuke LaLoosh
Riding the Bench

Post by Nuke LaLoosh »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:42 pm NY will compete for a league title next year.
No disagreement here. They legitimately competed for it this year. It's just that everyone had to play Athens twice.

Meigs will be tough again, and I wouldn't count Athens out just because they lost 11 seniors. We saw a sample of their young talent in the two freshmen they had on the field this season.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:42 pm NY will compete for a league title next year.
Sorry but they are gonna need more then Robson...Don't think they have much pitching beyond him and also, All teams have to do is walk him to keep the big base hits from happening and make the others beat you.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

tvc_fan wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:53 pm
Sorry but they are gonna need more then Robson...Don't think they have much pitching beyond him and also, All teams have to do is walk him to keep the big base hits from happening and make the others beat you.
Just remember this post.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Probably another SOC for Pirates...and can they extend their district title run?

Fred Flintstone
Riding the Bench

Post by Fred Flintstone »

The SVC is going to have some very good pitching returning. A lot of talent in that league the next few years.
Zane Trace, Westfall and Unioto all look to be D2.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Meigs will probably be the favorite in the TVC. NY will also be pretty good. Athens lost a bunch but they always reload

Watson40
Waterboy

Post by Watson40 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:46 pm
tvc_fan wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:53 pm
Just remember this post.
Yea I have to agree with orange and brown here. You can't walk a kid 100% of the time. It isn't good baseball. I still hear my coach screaming, "you can't defense a walk"! Robo is clutch. Played summers with the kid. Also you can't find a nicer young man out there. I would bet he will continue to be a force next season.

Watson40
Waterboy

Post by Watson40 »

rxburgfan wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:15 pm Probably another SOC for Pirates...and can they extend their district title run?
Should be a nice showdown with Waverly. That senior class is the real deal. They are confident ball players and for good reason. They are good. However I have heard rumors trickle in that Howell may stay football exclusive? Anyone? I am aware of the validity of the rumor mill, but that may change things at "big game" time.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

Howell is still playing Legion ball this summer. I wouldn't think he would be if he were not planning to play next year.

Watson40
Waterboy

Post by Watson40 »

The Flush wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:41 am Howell is still playing Legion ball this summer. I wouldn't think he would be if he were not planning to play next year.
Good. He is fun to watch.

route7
Freshman Team

Post by route7 »

Eastern will dominate Tvc hocking. Return all but one starter.

Lovebball42
Freshman Team

Post by Lovebball42 »

route7 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:46 pm Eastern will dominate Tvc hocking. Return all but one starter.
I think waterford will have something to say about that..

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Lovebball42 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:47 pm
route7 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:46 pm Eastern will dominate Tvc hocking. Return all but one starter.
I think waterford will have something to say about that..
Shifts aplenty!!

Return to “Baseball”