Athens (24-3) vs Steubenville (27-4) Regional Finals

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Athens (24-3) vs Steubenville (27-4) Regional Finals

Post by Raider6309 »

Sunday 5 pm at Gant. Weather looks like thunderstorms for Zanesville tomorrow. If the game is moved back until Monday, did Sano and Zorne throw under 75 pitches?

Thoughts?

fortdawg
All Conference

Re: Athens (24-3) vs Steubenville (27-4) Regional Finals

Post by fortdawg »

Coach Stewart said he threw 79 and 2 to the last batter.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

We are live at Gant!

Game at 5:00 on 970wath.com

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Big Red up 7-0 start of 3rd

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

7-2 now. Keep chipping away and getting holds.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Any updates?

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Big Red - 9
Athens - 2
Final

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Probably the dumbest delay in sports history. They literally were trying to restart the entire game. You can't make this up

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

go bulldawgs.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens loses to steuby for the 2nd year - and for the 2nd year in a row I was not impressed with the big red at all. Marietta with Dawson on the mound would have easilly beat them. Actually, I think Athens & Marietta were both as good if not better than steuby this year. It was just unfortunate how things played out. The 10 inning game was a back breaker for the Bulldogs having to use their 1 AND 2.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

What a cluster to the start of the game. I still can't believe that what went down, went down...

The OHSAA needs to re-evaluate the locations of these big games.
As you move through the tournament, the locations/fields need to improve, not get worse.
Ohio University's Wren Stadium to Zanesville's 1900's Gant Football Stadium is not how the progression should follow. The way Wren Stadium hosted the District is the way you would think a regional would be hosted.

Zanesville was not, and is not prepared to host the Regionals for any Division.
The Site Director was not on site, and he was the only person who didn't know which team was home/away and caused the delay. There were also times during the game where the two teams had to wait for baseball's to be returned to the field. You shouldn't ever be at a Regionals Final and have the umpire standing waiting for someone from the site to bring him baseballs so the game can continue at a smooth pace...

If it was for the Athens Coach fighting for answers, you would have witnessed a (Restart) to a Regional Finals game that was already delayed by over 20 plus minutes after 1 out, 1 hit and a third batter with a 1 and 1 count had already happened...

The last thing I want to say about this location is player safety. Both teams had players run into hard surfaces not properly suited for player safety. The Steubenville 3rd Baseman made a heck of an attempt to catch a foul ball on the sideline and found himself falling into the concrete football bleachers. Athens Catcher turned and tried to catch a foul ball and when he made contact with the makeshift backstop nothing was there to protect his head which hit pretty hard.

To say that the delay didn't play a role in the outcome would be lying. It definitely played a role in that inning, which played a role in the outcome...

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

questionmark: I encourage you and many others to voice their displeasure to the OHSAA (Via Jerry Snodgrass). Contacts are located on the page. The more they hear about this debacle and terrible site then maybe they will look into moving it. I know I have complained to Jerry many times over the past 13 years and he continues to agree in a way but also blame their are not enough sites to host. I think Gant has something on the OHSAA that just does not allow them to get rid of it. Not sure what that may be. Hopefully it moves soon before something even worse happens.

Great season to the Bulldogs, Congrats, Wish it wouldve turned out better. Was looking forward to the State Final 4 with a SE ohio team represented.

ferflog
JV Team

Post by ferflog »

Was not at the game and have not seen Steubenville play this year. However, I have watched many games in Gant Stadium over the years and have enjoyed all of them. And in all of the games I have seen there, the better team won.

Congrats to Athens on a fine season. And best of luck to the Big Red of Steubenville. Third time in their history they have made back-to-back trips to the State tournament. By the way, Steubenville is the 3rd winningest baseball team in Ohio history. They don't have to apologize to anyone for their success. ROLL RED ROLL!!!

You can take the boy out of the 'ville, but you can't take the 'ville out of the boy!!
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Gant Stadium has to be the worst site for a Regional game. It is a complete dump with a terrible playing surface and should not be used for games of this magnitude.

However, with a score of 9-2, I can't say that it would've made a major difference where the game was played with the circumstances that Athens was in pitching wise. Good luck to Steubenville this weekend at a real stadium.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 2:22 pm Gant Stadium has to be the worst site for a Regional game. It is a complete dump with a terrible playing surface and should not be used for games of this magnitude.

However, with a score of 9-2, I can't say that it would've made a major difference where the game was played with the circumstances that Athens was in pitching wise. Good luck to Steubenville this weekend at a real stadium.
if they're willing, Ohio University should host the regionals. It's a much better facility. Gant Stadium has seen its better days.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I played there in 92 & it was a dump then! Lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The only difference now is you pass more boarded up houses and liquor stores to get there. Seriously, its horrible.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:50 pm I played there in 92 & it was a dump then! Lol
Off topic but I was looking through old Athens messenger articles. In 1969 there was article about the Columbus fairgrounds being a dump. Ohsaa stayed there for a long time

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:50 pm I played there in 92 & it was a dump then! Lol
I coached a game there in 06 and couldn't believe that it was hosting a game still and thought that it must have been a last minute replacement...11 years late and it can only be worse.

I couldn't even imagine how terrible it has gotten over the last 25 years if it was a dump then lol

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

has this game been completed yet, if so who won.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

Return to “Baseball”