Athens (23-3) vs Marietta (24-3) - Sweet 16

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Athens (23-3) vs Marietta (24-3) - Sweet 16

Post by 93Bulldog »

I thought they were the two best teams all year - now they get to settle it on the field, in the tournament.

Thoughts?

SE_baseball
Waterboy

Re: Athens (23-3) vs Marietta (24-3) - Sweet 16

Post by SE_baseball »

Athens gets the win 4-0 with Sano on the mound. If they go with their number 2 Marietta 4-3. Should be a tight ball game. Thursday can't come soon enough.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Two very good teams. Too bad they can't play this game at OU or even Marietta College!! Instead they have to play at a "dump" of a field in Gant War Memorial Stadium!!

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Congrats to both teams, this will be a great match-up, should be a low scoring affair I imagine.

If someone held a gun to my head I would probably pick Marietta (even though last night is the first I have seen them play), but if Sano throws it will equalize that a bit and even Rodgers shut down a good Logan Elm team after a rough 1st inning.

Don't know much about Marietta, but they looked good last night, have some team speed and should be able to put some pressure on defenses if they can get some base-runners. Was that Marietta'a #1 or #2 last night that threw for them?

Would love to see this one, but Zanesville is too far for and Gant Field is not such a great venue, probably the worst of any Division regional location would be my guess lol but no need to complain if you get there got to find a way to win there.

What is the chances either Athens or Marietta go with their #2 here and roll the dice, or just go by the book and throw your best guy and survive and advance and take your chances with Big Red?

Congrats to Athens for repeating and best of luck to all the seniors playing on both squads.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

baseball16 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 6:59 am Two very good teams. Too bad they can't play this game at OU or even Marietta College!! Instead they have to play at a "dump" of a field in Gant War Memorial Stadium!!
Dump is being kind.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'd rather play Marietta on their home field next Thur than play at Gant.

Seriously.

How do two teams play at such a beautiful venue, Bob Wren, and then a week later play each other in a complete dump. It's a 100 year old football field surrounded by run down houses smack dab in the middle of what I call a suburban ghetto.

Maybe the stupidest decision the OHSAA does yearly having this regional at Gant. And that's saying something considering all the questionable decisions it makes over the course of an entire year. lol

As for the game, who knows what the coaches do, but I'd expect given how good Athens & Marietta are - you'd have to go with your #1. And Steuby sits back and grins just like they did last year. Ugh

Fred Flintstone
Riding the Bench

Post by Fred Flintstone »

I will take etta in a close one.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Marietta seems like they are in a good position. The kid who started the regular season game shut Athens down & im pretty sure he is not their 1 or 2. The Tigers could easilly put him on the hill & save their top dogs for steubenville.

Ironstrong
Waterboy

Post by Ironstrong »

doubleplay643 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 7:03 am
baseball16 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 6:59 am Two very good teams. Too bad they can't play this game at OU or even Marietta College!! Instead they have to play at a "dump" of a field in Gant War Memorial Stadium!!
Dump is being kind.
I don't know every school these teams have played. But there is a good chance they're about to play on the worst field they've played on all year. Many games and outcomes at Gant can be affected by the poor field conditions. There's gotta be a better word than "dump" to describe it. Shi... Can you curse in SEOPS?

Normal_A_Ron
Riding the Bench

Post by Normal_A_Ron »

Marietta either will throw Dawson or Schamp against Athens. That's their 1a and 1b, they can throw either and feel good about their chances. They could go with Dawson, who took the L against the Dogs in last years district final, but was very sharp giving up only one run on a wild pitch. But Schamp has two no hitters this year and could easily get the call.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

OHSSA is doing it for D3 regionals, one game in Minerva and one game in Chillicothe. Why not the same for Marietta/Athens and Stuebenville/IndianValley? They could do the same for D4 also with Waterford/SouthWebster and Danville/Toronto. In fact I was unimpressed with Beavers Field when I attended the D4 regional there last year.

Pios6655
Waterboy

Post by Pios6655 »

I believe Dawson hasn't lost a high school game since facing the Bulldogs in the district finals last year. Marietta and Athens are very talented. What separates Stubenville from either of these 2? I've never seen Stuby play.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Pios6655 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:14 pm I believe Dawson hasn't lost a high school game since facing the Bulldogs in the district finals last year. Marietta and Athens are very talented. What separates Stubenville from either of these 2? I've never seen Stuby play.
Athens lost to Steuby in the regional finals last year. They did not impress me, just a really good, solid, baseball team. Athens or Marietta could beat them, especially if they had their ace on the hill. But there lies the problem, you can't play the Big Red unless you get past the semi's. lol

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Coach Stewart and Coach Thrash need to call each other and agree to both teams pitching their 2's. That way at least either team has a chance to win the Finals game. Both pitch 2's and may the best team win. LOL. Will that happen? Heck NO!! But really the only chance either team has to advance. in my opinion.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Seems only fitting as the SEOAL takes its last breath - we have two former SEOAL rivals crowned district champions and squaring off in the regional.

Athens will have faced - or will face - three former SEOAL teams in order to reach the elite 8. Gallia, Warren in the title game, and now Marietta.

IMO, baseball was far and away the SEOAL's best sport. Years down the road, that's how I will probably remember it as. A pretty good football conference, basketball was ok, but baseball was superb year in and year out.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 7:19 am Seems only fitting as the SEOAL takes its last breath - we have two former SEOAL rivals crowned district champions and squaring off in the regional.

Athens will have faced - or will face - three former SEOAL teams in order to reach the elite 8. Gallia, Warren in the title game, and now Marietta.

IMO, baseball was far and away the SEOAL's best sport. Years down the road, that's how I will probably remember it as. A pretty good football conference, basketball was ok, but baseball was superb year in and year out.
Well then it would only be fitting then if Athens wins lol...since they killed the SEOAL.

Everyone relax, that was a joke people lol, don't hijack this thread and great match-up with all that SEOAL nonsense. I couldn't help myself though 93Bulldog.

FYI Jackson is 2-2 in the last two years against Athens.

Does any of the cable stations televise regional games like they do in football? Be great to watch this one.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Hahaha didnt Marietta leave BEFORE Athens?

No video, but feel free to listen to us on 970wath.com

:)

justpassinthru
Riding the Bench

Post by justpassinthru »

Athens joined the TVC before Marietta joined the ECOL.

turfcat
Waterboy

Post by turfcat »

Just heard that there is a possibility they will move the game to Wren on the 25th.

OHPrepFB
Waterboy

Post by OHPrepFB »

Confirmed!

Return to “Baseball”