Re: DII Sectional - South

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Re: DII Sectional - South

Post by 93Bulldog »

Rain tomorrow & fri could throw a wrinkle in pitching rotations/plans if games get pushed back. Something to keep an eye on.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Being around Athens baseball for the past 2 Decades, I've gotten to see some pretty good teams with some outstanding players...

I can't speak for Corrigan as a player (didn't get to see him play). But as a Coach, the man knew his Baseball.
I can say that Phillip Hewitt and Brendan Sano have been part of the two best High School Games I have ever been part of, (one as a player, one as a coach).

The 2004 Athens vs. Sheridan District Championship
Phillip Hewitt (Ath) vs. Josh Berrea (She)

(Phil) Hewitt had already pitched Athens to tournament wins over Meigs, Warren, and Jackson heading into the showdown with Sheridan in Chillicothe. The Generals elected not to start Berrea, but quickly went to him in the 1st inning after going down 2-0 after Athens Chris Hewitt's 2-run Homerun in the Top of the 1st. Berrea would keep Athens in check for most of the game. Sheridan would be held to 2 runs. Athens did strike against Berrea late in the game to take a 4-2 lead after loading the bases with 2 walks wrapped around a HBP. Athens 1st Baseman Josh Stanley would get just enough of a Berrea pitch on the outside corner knocking over 1st scoring Chleboun and Hewitt from 3rd and 2nd. That would be all Hewitt would need to outduel the (Future Buckeye) Berrea. Giving Athens the bid to The Sweet Sixteen. This game took 2 days to complete as Both teams had to come back to Chillicothe to finish the 7th inning after Rain/Lightning forced the delay...

The 2016 Athens vs. Jackson Sectional Championship
Brendan Sano (Ath) vs. Hunter Sexton (Jac)

Athens came in as a low seed and just defeated Chillicothe in the opening round. Jackson the upper seed got the Home field game in the Sectional. The Ironmen sent Hunter Sexton to the Hill who in the previous year had a dominating performance against Athens. The Bulldogs who used Brody Rodgers vs. Chillicothe answer with Brendan Sano. Athens was able to get to Sexton early with a few hits, but were not able to score any runs. The Ironmen equally found it difficult to find success at the plate. The Bulldogs were able to run Sexton's pitch count up in the 8th, and the Ironmen had to remove their Ace. The Bulldogs had bases loaded and sent Trey Keiffer to the plate who was able to take a 3-2 pitch for ball 4 giving Athens the first run of the game. Sano would secure the Win in the Bottom of the Eighth for the Bulldogs and the Sectional Championship. Sano and Sexton each had over 15's apiece or more (can't remember the totals.)...

93-
Gibby's last year with Ford/Dean was super talented and tough luck indeed...
Don't forget to include the 2001 Dogs (22-3) with Purdy/Conkey

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

questionmark wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 2:50 pm
The 2016 Athens vs. Jackson Sectional Championship
Brendan Sano (Ath) vs. Hunter Sexton (Jac)

Athens came in as a low seed and just defeated Chillicothe in the opening round. Jackson the upper seed got the Home field game in the Sectional. The Ironmen sent Hunter Sexton to the Hill who in the previous year had a dominating performance against Athens. The Bulldogs who used Brody Rodgers vs. Chillicothe answer with Brendan Sano. Athens was able to get to Sexton early with a few hits, but were not able to score any runs. The Ironmen equally found it difficult to find success at the plate. The Bulldogs were able to run Sexton's pitch count up in the 8th, and the Ironmen had to remove their Ace. The Bulldogs had bases loaded and sent Trey Keiffer to the plate who was able to take a 3-2 pitch for ball 4 giving Athens the first run of the game. Sano would secure the Win in the Bottom of the Eighth for the Bulldogs and the Sectional Championship. Sano and Sexton each had over 15's apiece or more (can't remember the totals.)...

Pretty accurate recap, I think each had about that many K's.

Unfortunately the one K that didn't count was the pitch on the 2-2 count to the Athens batter in the top of the 8th lol. That strike that was called a ball in the mind of Lightfoot made the count 3-2 lol.

But it was a good contest and the second time in as many years we ended up on the wrong side of a 1-run Sectional match-up. The Ironmen had defeated Sano a couple weeks earlier in another close ballgame at Athens. I think then junior Bryce Hall got credit for the win there, but Sexton had the triple that ultimately got the victory. Sano pitched a whale of a game in the sectional match-up (as did Hunter) but as you mentioned the pitch count was not in our favor. Great game though.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Looking over the bracket, Steubenville has no real competition until the regional championship. They can probably cruise into the final and have their ace available for one of our southeast district teams. Ugh

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

I agree Steubenville should get to the Regional finals barring some sort of weird "baseball" thing, which obviously happens since it is after all baseball.

This looks like an Athens/Marietta Regional Semi and one of them facing Big Red in the final. I don't see Athens not getting there and unless Meigs can pull off an upset this evening I think Marietta gets there as well.

To get past Marietta in the Regional semi's I assume you have to give the ball to Sano.

Did Athens throw Rodgers against Steubenville last year in the final or Sano? I can't remember.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Yes, Sano went against Waverly. Rodgers vs Steuby.

But don't go making any predictions doubleplay ... lol ... Sheridan is the top seed for a reason. Hillsboro is no push over. Waverly is scrappy and are tournament savy. No guarantee at all Athens or Marietta make it to Zanesville.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 11:00 am Yes, Sano went against Waverly. Rodgers vs Steuby.

But don't go making any predictions doubleplay ... lol ... Sheridan is the top seed for a reason. Hillsboro is no push over. Waverly is scrappy and are tournament savy. No guarantee at all Athens or Marietta make it to Zanesville.
Oh I know and agree it will be no pushover getting out of the Athens' Districts.

Too bad the Meigs v. Marietta game is at Marietta, I would like to watch that one and see if Mattox can keep Meigs close.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

doubleplay643 wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 11:05 am
93Bulldog wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 11:00 am Yes, Sano went against Waverly. Rodgers vs Steuby.

Oh I know and agree it will be no pushover getting out of the Athens' Districts.

Too bad the Meigs v. Marietta game is at Marietta, I would like to watch that one and see if Mattox can keep Meigs close.
Its too bad Whitlach and Bartrum got hurt or this district would have been even better!

Normal_A_Ron
Riding the Bench

Post by Normal_A_Ron »

Well said. I'd add Warren to that list too. And if Mtta gets past Meigs, they could end up facing Wolfe from F. Union, who they barely snuck by last season. This district is very much up for grabs.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Looks like we will get a storm around 4-5. Hopefully a quick downpour

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens game on 970wath.com

Normal_A_Ron
Riding the Bench

Post by Normal_A_Ron »

Mtta up 4-0 on Meigs after 2

Normal_A_Ron
Riding the Bench

Post by Normal_A_Ron »

6-0 Mtta after 4. Meigs with four errors

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Gallia 2
Athens 5
T4

Logan Elm 2
Hillsboro 1
B3

Tigers24
Freshman Team

Post by Tigers24 »

Waverly 0
Warren 0

Top 7

Tigers24
Freshman Team

Post by Tigers24 »

Warren 1
Waverly 0

Final

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Logan Elm 8
Hillsboro 1
B5

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Meigs..... 000 00 -- 0
Marietta 130 24 -- 10

No hits for Meigs, although the #3 hitter lined one to right and the RF charged it to try to make the catch, but instead got it cleanly on the first hop and fired to 1B for the out. 3 walks for M
Last edited by mhs95_06 on Thu May 11, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

tvc_fan wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 7:38 pm
Normal_A_Ron wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 6:56 pm Meigs beats Jackson 7-2. Meigs will play Mtta Thursday.
I like Meigs chances against Mtta.
zero chance as in number of hits and runs meigs had

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Meigs..... 000 00 -- 0
Marietta 130 24 -- 10

No hits for Meigs, although the #3 hitter lined one to right and the RF charged it to try to make the catch, but instead got it cleanly on the first hop and fired to 1B for the out. 3 walks for Meigs were their only baserunners. 6 Ks for Schamp. Turner Hill 3/4 with 5 RBI and 3 runs scored including the last one after his 3 run triple. Dawson 3/4 with 2 RBI including the last one. Hiser, Early, and Kail Hill with 2 hits apiece.

Return to “Baseball”