soc 2

sports87
Riding the Bench

soc 2

Post by sports87 »

I know wheelersburg the one to beat but who has the best chance ?

Regulator
All Conference

Re: soc 2

Post by Regulator »

SOC is Burgs to lose! Even though I don't think they have lost in conference for a couple of two or three years.

West should have an outside shot of beating them.

Waverly will also when Knisely is on the bump.

Valley will be good, Schuler always has his team ready.

Look for Northwest and Minford to be better, both were young last year.

Oak Hill, well they had their run, but what a turnaround for that program.

South Webster, still the bottom but will play a ton of freshmen this year.

4 teams made it to the Regionals last year. Shows you how strong this conference is in baseball. Should be another fun year.

captain ensano
Waterboy

Post by captain ensano »

We all know Burg will reload and come at you again. I believe there JV program went 24-1 last year so they have the talent there to keep on with what Coach Estep has built there.

I don't look for Valley to be anything above average, and thats with Coach Schuler getting everything he can out of those boys. He will have good players in Arnett and the Holbrook kid, but cant see much else from them.

I look for Minford to pull out a decent year this coming spring. They only lost 2 seniors and only one of them started regularly. They have a strong senior class this year so don't overlook the falcons.

I look for West to be well rounded also. They have a good core of players over there and could give Burg a run for there money as stated in the previous post.

Same for Waverly this spring. I believe they will be very competitive and be difficult to beat.

I look for Oak Hill to have a hard time this spring. I know they made a nice tournament run last year, but I don't see it happening again this year.....but we can only hope for the best.

I don't see much for South Webster or Northwest. I hate to say it but South Webster will never be a player in the SOC II, which is sad because they have a very good coach in Zimmerman. Northwest just dont have the interest in baseball since Hags left, which is sad also because of a school that size should be dominating.

jujubean
Freshman Team

Post by jujubean »

Enrollment figures

Minford. 219
Northwest. 206
Waverly. 201
West 188
Wheelersburg 170
Oak hill. 155
Valley. 132
South Webster. 86

South Webster should be in SOC I

oldpgguy
Freshman Team

Post by oldpgguy »

they are in top half for enrollment

Green
East
New Boston
Notre Dame
Symmes Valley
Western
Eastern
Clay

jujubean
Freshman Team

Post by jujubean »

I realize that - just saying that with 86 boys verses 216 for Minford is a slight descrepancy.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Two reasons why South Webster does not want to go to 1.

This is reasons for basketball

1st reason is gate money. No football, they depend on bigger schools to bring in money.

2nd reason is tournament . Look at past success, due to playing bigger schools.

jujubean
Freshman Team

Post by jujubean »

I like South Webster in SOC II - that's not my point.

I was just saying - in the context of the conversation of someone saying that Northwest should dominate based on numbers - look at South Webster who is trying to compete (and does) with only 86 boys.

DreamTeam
Waterboy

Post by DreamTeam »

Look for Burg to make another run back to Huntington Park for the 3peat.. This team has all the tools just depends on young guys to step in to big roles that have been filled in the past. GO BURG!!!

sports87
Riding the Bench

Post by sports87 »

when can teams start to practice? and who are some of the players to watch for?

BadVlad27
JV Team

Post by BadVlad27 »

Practices begin on Monday, February 24.

SportsFanatic
Waterboy

Post by SportsFanatic »

There is no doubt this league is one of the best in all of Ohio. Along with Wheelersburg, the competition will be tough. You can bet West, Oak Hill and Waverly will all be near the top. Minford, Valley will have some competition from Northwest this season. Northwest program has come a long way and took some major strides last season. Their pitching depth is what will hurt them in the league. South Webster will round out the SOC II teams as they continue to improve and get better, I'd say they will have a long season. As far as players go, you can bet you'll see big numbers from Brady Knittel, Luke Morgan and Howard from West, Parsley, Carmichael and Martin from Burg, Nate Arnett from Valley, Knisley from Waverly, Matt Penix and Cassidy from Northwest and Fuller from South Webster.

Hitops2.0
Varsity

Post by Hitops2.0 »

allensports wrote:when can teams start to practice? and who are some of the players to watch for?
Last year Valley started 2 seniors 4 juniors 1 sophomore and 2 freshmen and made it to dist finals against racine southern at the VA field .

We pick up a lefty sophmore pitcher who was injured last yr
So that gives us 2 lefties
4 righties
The soc is a solid conference and the younger players have all played alot of ball before they got to high school so we will be competitive

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

HItops wrote:
allensports wrote:when can teams start to practice? and who are some of the players to watch for?
Last year Valley started 2 seniors 4 juniors 1 sophomore and 2 freshmen and made it to dist finals against racine southern at the VA field .

4 righties
The soc is a solid conference and the younger players have all played alot of ball before they got to high school so we will be competitive
Schuler will have valley clicking! They will beat some teams in the league, no doubt. They do move back to Div 3 this yr which will make it a little tougher for tourney run.

Hitops2.0
Varsity

Post by Hitops2.0 »

Regulator wrote:
HItops wrote:

4 righties
Schuler will have valley clicking! They will beat some teams in the league, no doubt. They do move back to Div 3 this yr which will make it a little tougher for tourney run.

hadn't heard the D III news ..guess those 6 extra boys are huge ...lol .. . and we will have 5 righties I forgot one ...

bd452
Waterboy

Post by bd452 »

An already stacked DIII District adds Valley (moved up) and Waverly (moved down). Should make for an interesting playoff.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Sounds like the Jeeps have a decent freshmen class coming through this year with some good baseball players from what I hear. It'll be hard for them to compete in SOC II with their enrollment continuously dropping (but even before that, when was the last time they seriously threatened for a league title in SOC II?). Their goal going forward should be to be competitive in the league, and then hope the competition sets them up well for tourney success (ala the basketball program). As far as dropping to SOC I, doubtful for reasons regulator already stated.*

Return to “Baseball”