2017 SEOAL

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Re: 2017 SEOAL

Post by 1987chieftains »

Nope no news flash, that is pretty common actually to allow some crossover with kids who wanna do both. Best example I can think of is Pierce Mowery last year who was All-Ohio in baseball and All-Ohio in track for Zane Trace, as I recall the relay team he was a part of went to Jesse Owens for the state meet, and now lol he plays college basketball. So nope, no news flash.
Your original comment implied that I knew nothing Bc good athletes playing baseball. You pointed out Lane. I rebuttalled and of coarse there are athletes that can play both sports.
In your mind apparently there are two main sports football and basketball, and if it isn't fall or winter then it is the "off-season". And if it is the spring off-season then somehow track is the great "training mechanism" for your two "main sports". A lot of people do think those are the two main boys sports I can see that, .
You answered you own statement. Those two sports pay the bills at almost all schools. High school and College.
I think the reason schools are either "football" schools or "basketball" schools or "baseball" schools has a lot to do with the investment in the youth years in either of those sports and Varsity level coaching. This is anecdotal evidence but consider thisJackson has had a strong youth and middle school football program for 20+ years. The pee-wee program was started by a gentleman that passed away a few years ago by the name of Jim Humphreys. He ran it like the Marine Corps and demanded excellence from coaches, players, and parents. It was consistent in its teachings, fundamentals, and always financed well with equipment and schedules and in the course of those 20+ years probably had 2,000 kids pass through it. The Middle School has had consistency in its staff as well with several coaches being there for years. That fed into the JV and Varsity and those programs are equally stable and supported and Jackson has been very successful with 600+ wins. Coaching consistency with Coach Hall who now is Jackson's all time winning-est coach simply reinforces that every kid knows the routine, accepts that to see the field you are going to have to work hard.
Ten or so years ago a group of dad's, coaches, and administrators who like baseball got together and formed multiple travel ball programs. The first groups graduated last year, but we now have 1-2 travel baseball teams for ages 8 through 14 and I am pretty sure that effort ten or so years ago that has now carried on with different but just as committed dad's/coaches/administrators is one of the reasons we have been successful in baseball. The other major factor is we have had coaching consistency by someone who invests a lot of time into the kids/program over the last 4+ years. Coach McGraw in the last 4 years has probably won 80 ball games, and at current pace could be the winning-est baseball coach in Jackson history
doubleplay!! You are absolutely correct on this! In Logan There was no travel ball other then Legion ball. The Rec program was/is a joke. Unfortunately the little Johnnie superstar wasn't getting the field time, parents started yelling and the the good Dads/coaches quit coaching. That was in the 70's 80's. A few year ago, like in Jackson some of the dads formed a real travel team. So maybe in the years to come Logan baseball will be relevant again.
So my opinion is Track is not why Logan is not good at baseball. My bet is there is not a lot of youth baseball being played at a competitive level and your coaching staff for baseball may revolve some (no idea on that maybe he has been there 20 years I have no idea). Doubt Track is the culprit though.
There are a few things that are hurting Logan's baseball program. One of the biggest factors has been the roulette wheel of coaches we've had in recent yrs since Coach Janey retired from coaching baseball. Hope the current coach is in for the long haul. A poor feeder program etc..... So when these kids that are discouraged with the experience in Rec ball or the kids that never played baseball get to 7th grade they find another way to be a student athlete in the track program. And fortunately for Logan, Coach Fraunfelter was one hell of a track coach and the kids gravitated to him and his staff.

AT THE RESERVATION
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Logan has always been god awful because they always played at the dump. I always felt bad for the Logan kids that they had to play at mingo. We would always find condoms, tampons, and drug paraphernalia in the dugout. But at Athens our first few practices were spent painting, ranking, and maintenance the stadium

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Raider6309 wrote:Logan has always been god awful because they always played at the dump. I always felt bad for the Logan kids that they had to play at mingo. We would always find condoms, tampons, and drug paraphernalia in the dugout. But at Athens our first few practices were spent painting, ranking, and maintenance the stadium
I lived in Logan from 1991-2000.

My kids loved all the parks in Logan, we lived in South Logan and were always at the bottom of the "hill" at Kachelmacher (spelling?) Park. Mingo was just as nice as memory serves.

I have no idea what you are talking about, the parks and recreation facilities around Logan were always well kept.

Get your yellow (errrr I mean green) shades off Raider.
Last edited by doubleplay643 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Mingo was the worst field I ever played at

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Raider6309 wrote:Mingo was the worst field I ever played at
Then you didn't play many places.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

doubleplay643 wrote:
Then you didn't play many places.
Legion and babe Ruth. Played at them all. The only thing Logan was good for was increasing your batting average.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Marietta was pretty bad. Same with Federal Hocking. Those were more animal planet :lol:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Jackson 3-1
Warren 2-2
Logan 1-3

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

doubleplay643 wrote:
Raider6309 wrote:Logan has always been god awful because they always played at the dump. I always felt bad for the Logan kids that they had to play at mingo. We would always find condoms, tampons, and drug paraphernalia in the dugout. But at Athens our first few practices were spent painting, ranking, and maintenance the stadium
I lived in Logan from 1991-2000.

My kids loved all the parks in Logan, we lived in South Logan and were always at the bottom of the "hill" at Kachelmacher (spelling?) Park. Mingo was just as nice as memory serves.

I have no idea what you are talking about, the parks and recreation facilities around Logan were always well kept.

Get your yellow (errrr I mean green) shades off Raider.
I grew up in west Logan and do know ppl did party in there after dark from time to time. I think that was one reason the little skater park they had in there was taken out. but as far as the fields condition.... everyone hate the grass. Even the soccer kids hate the soccer field. Bc and for what ever the reason was the grass was planted like you plant corn..... in rows. :shock: :shock:

AT THE RESERVATION
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I thought Athens field sucked. LF hump was stupid.

The worst by 100 miles was Warren's. My freshman year they had at least 2x too much topping on the field and it was like running on Virginia Beach. The Pop Up HR LF is also terrible.

Catchup13
Riding the Bench

Post by Catchup13 »

Raider6309 wrote:Jackson 3-1
Warren 2-2
Logan 1-3
With only 3 teams in the league, they're playing each other 3x. Could make it more interesting.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Watch out for the Purple Wall

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

noreply66 wrote:Watch out for the Purple Wall
You mean in track!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Baseball

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

I would like to point out that the rec department for Logan in baseball and softball this summer will see a complete overhaul with some fresh new YOUNGER ideas now being implemented on the rec board. It will be a great change. There is also the ability to join the 7th and 8th grade baseball teams that have been put in place in the last few years allowing for those youth baseball players to not just run track because they don't have another option. It has greatly improved the overall baseball program because now, yes, there is a solid "feeder" program at Logan. Although I do agree the revolving door of coaching staffs recently has pushed the program back 10 years, Coach Sutton is entering his 3rd or 4th year at Logan and I don't think he will be leaving any time soon. Logan is very young experience wise overall but they do have something they haven't had in recent years, decent pitching. Its my understanding Logan will have 4 solid arms to go to this season, something they haven't had recently. Its been one maybe two and then pitch and pray lately but this season should be solid on the mound. Logan's track program is one if the best in the area but the baseball team shouldn't be made out to be a last alternative to athletes who decide to do something "in the off season." I have been a strong supporter of the program since I was a player from 1987-1990, as a coach for 2 seasons, and now as a fan. I think its time to be more supportive of this program based on the history alone, while trying to restore it from the foundation up.

Logan could win more than what people think based on pitching and a solid core of returners.

Live Like A Champion!

Return to “Baseball”