SVC 2017

crashdavis188
Riding the Bench

Re: SVC 2017

Post by crashdavis188 »

danicalifornia wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 4:38 pm
mrwonderful wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 6:23 pm Crashdavis if you've been around sports much, especially Baseball, you know comparing scores doesn't mean squat. Those 2 teams you mentioned are probably not the best 2 teams in the OVC. Yeah they won but a couple plays here or there and u have 2 different teams at top I can't believe Gallia tied for 1st. My god Fairland beat Gallia and they are very weak.... The top 5 teams in the OVC would play with any SVC school...Coal Grove is not a very good defensive team but have a couple decent pitchers....I've watched almost all those SVC teams and none of them are dominate.... We'll find out shortly who does what but the OVC is every bit as good as SVC this year... I bet Portsmouth who finished 6th in OVC and is an 11 seed wins their 1st game.....
3rd place (SVC) beats OVC Champ 6-2, while Adena shuts out the other OVC opponent.

I'm sorry, but the level of baseball isn't even comparable. Since 2010, the SVC has won 19 District level games in D3 alone (Unioto has won 5 in D2) while the OVC has won 3. If we include the entirity of the SEODAB website, it is even worse, 32-5 would be the score in District games won :o

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Zane Trace is headed to the Regional.

Unioto 11-3, 20-7
Adena 10-4, 14-14
Zane Trace 9-5, 20-10
Westfall 7-7, 11-17
Southeastern 6-8, 10-11
Huntington 5-9, 12-14
Piketon 5-9, 12-15
Paint Valley 3-11, 11-15

D2 District Semi: Unioto 2 Miami Trace 0
D2 District Final: Marietta 9 Unioto 2

D3 District Semi: Adena 7 Chesapeake 0
D3 District Final: Wheelersburg 3 Adena 0

D3 District Semi: Zane Trace 6 Coal Grove 2
D3 District Final: Zane Trace 5 Minford 3

D3 Regional Semi: Zane Trace vs. Wheelersburg
Last edited by petesweaty on Sun May 28, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueDuck
Riding the Bench

Post by BlueDuck »

danicalifornia wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 3:51 pm Wheelersburg 3
Adena 0

Really good baseball game, the Warriors just couldn't string together hits. Congrats on the fine season.
Hate to be a MMQB but I still haven't figured out why they were bunting late in the game and down 3 runs? You can't give good teams outs like that. :x

Fred Flintstone
Riding the Bench

Post by Fred Flintstone »

The funniest thing in this topic is people picking Zane Trace to be 6th or 7th in the league this year. They finished 3rd in the SVC, captured a District title and won 20 games so far. :shock:

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

BlueDuck wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 6:05 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 3:51 pm Wheelersburg 3
Adena 0

Really good baseball game, the Warriors just couldn't string together hits. Congrats on the fine season.
Hate to be a MMQB but I still haven't figured out why they were bunting late in the game and down 3 runs? You can't give good teams outs like that. :x
Barr likely gets one more season to meet expectations at Adena. Results haven't been equal to the talent the last couple years.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

SVC FINAL STANDINGS

Unioto 11-3, 20-7
Adena 10-4, 14-14
Zane Trace 9-5, 20-11
Westfall 7-7, 11-17
Southeastern 6-8, 10-11
Huntington 5-9, 12-14
Piketon 5-9, 12-15
Paint Valley 3-11, 11-15

D2 District Semi: Unioto 2 Miami Trace 0
D2 District Final: Marietta 9 Unioto 2

D3 District Semi: Adena 7 Chesapeake 0
D3 District Final: Wheelersburg 3 Adena 0

D3 District Semi: Zane Trace 6 Coal Grove 2
D3 District Final: Zane Trace 5 Minford 3

D3 Regional Semi: Wheelersburg 4 Zane Trace 3

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Great run by the Pioneers. I wish they would be staying D3 as they would have a great chance to get over the Burg hump in the next couple of years.

Watson40
Waterboy

Post by Watson40 »

mrwonderful wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 6:23 pm Crashdavis if you've been around sports much, especially Baseball, you know comparing scores doesn't mean squat. Those 2 teams you mentioned are probably not the best 2 teams in the OVC. Yeah they won but a couple plays here or there and u have 2 different teams at top I can't believe Gallia tied for 1st. My god Fairland beat Gallia and they are very weak.... The top 5 teams in the OVC would play with any SVC school...Coal Grove is not a very good defensive team but have a couple decent pitchers....I've watched almost all those SVC teams and none of them are dominate.... We'll find out shortly who does what but the OVC is every bit as good as SVC this year... I bet Portsmouth who finished 6th in OVC and is an 11 seed wins their 1st game.....
3rd place (SVC) beats OVC Champ 6-2, while Adena shuts out the other OVC opponent.

I'm sorry, but the level of baseball isn't even comparable. Since 2010, the SVC has won 19 District level games in D3 alone (Unioto has won 5 in D2) while the OVC has won 3. If we include the entirity of the SEODAB website, it is even worse, 32-5 would be the score in District games won :o
Do you guys know why the SVC is so dominant? This is my opinion but will be hard to argue with. Scioto valley youth league. Period. All these stars in the SVC have all played for home team svyl. Even the young guys that are playing as freshmen and sophomores have built their skills at svyl. I am not sure that continues because there has been a small exodus to travel ball. Svyl had moved to call ripken. I am not sure which level, but there are 2 within cal ripken. One is played like OHSAA ball with 90 foot basepath, steals and pick off moves. The other is smaller with no lead offs. Well svyl, I believe, expanded the base path to 90 feet but does not allow steals until the full count. At least that is how it was a few years ago. So people are heading out to get the whole experience.

But as a whole, svyl is probably the most competitive league in Ohio. Teams are formed at coach pitch and they stay together through A ball. They can cut kids and only take the best talent anyway. The rest play elsewhere. But the majority of these kids are from areas surrounding Chillicothe. Zane trace, southeastern, adena and so on.

Just an opinion. Any thoughts?

Fred Flintstone
Riding the Bench

Agree. Plus, a lot of veteran coaches in SVC baseball which means continuity in the programs.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Fred Flintstone wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 12:11 pm Agree. Plus, a lot of veteran coaches in SVC baseball which means continuity in the programs.
Agreed completely.

Coach Allen has been around since 2000 (or 1999?) and even has had Coach Wertman with him for close to a decade.

Coach Taylor and Coach Thomas each took over in 2001, with Taylor being apart of the program since the early 90's. Both had the same assistants for over a decade at one point as well.

Coach Combs has been at the helm for PV for over a decade and Bum has been at Piketon for 9-10 years. Even at Huntington and Southeastern, it has been the same HC for 3-4 years.

There isn't a constant turnover in coaches like you see in other SVC sports and that's a big reason why baseball is so strong in the area. That, along with the SVYL, are keys to creating winners and very good competition year in, year out.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Watson40 wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:33 am

Do you guys know why the SVC is so dominant? This is my opinion but will be hard to argue with. Scioto valley youth league. Period. All these stars in the SVC have all played for home team svyl. Even the young guys that are playing as freshmen and sophomores have built their skills at svyl. I am not sure that continues because there has been a small exodus to travel ball. Svyl had moved to call ripken. I am not sure which level, but there are 2 within cal ripken. One is played like OHSAA ball with 90 foot basepath, steals and pick off moves. The other is smaller with no lead offs. Well svyl, I believe, expanded the base path to 90 feet but does not allow steals until the full count. At least that is how it was a few years ago. So people are heading out to get the whole experience.

But as a whole, svyl is probably the most competitive league in Ohio. Teams are formed at coach pitch and they stay together through A ball. They can cut kids and only take the best talent anyway. The rest play elsewhere. But the majority of these kids are from areas surrounding Chillicothe. Zane trace, southeastern, adena and so on.

SVYL A ball you can steal on the pitchers release. They refuse to allow leading off, which makes zero sense. A lot of these kids go out and travel over the summer, and are unfortunately deficient in the areas of leading off, stealing, and holding runners compared to the travel teams they come up against in some of these summer tournaments. Now, when they play other rec tournaments, they are pretty dominant from the 8U level through 12U.

Watson40
Waterboy

Post by Watson40 »

se-alum wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 1:58 pm
Watson40 wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:33 am

SVYL A ball you can steal on the pitchers release. They refuse to allow leading off, which makes zero sense. A lot of these kids go out and travel over the summer, and are unfortunately deficient in the areas of leading off, stealing, and holding runners compared to the travel teams they come up against in some of these summer tournaments. Now, when they play other rec tournaments, they are pretty dominant from the 8U level through 12U.
Yea. Seems like it used to be as it crossed the plate. With the shorter base path that pretty much eliminates steals. As long as you have a catcher that could throw in the vicinity of 2nd base he can throw runners out. I once had an umpire tell me that he could always tell the players from SVYL because they excelled at every aspect of the game except for pick offs and steals. Fortunately those are easier concepts to pick up. At least they ha e been in my experience.

Fred Flintstone
Riding the Bench

Scioto Valley Youth League is well organized, but let's get real about the coaching. It is "daddy ball." I watched a game the other night that had seven dads in dugout. The thing is that the kids are playing which makes them better despite the coaching.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Fred Flintstone wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 3:22 pm Scioto Valley Youth League is well organized, but let's get real about the coaching. It is "daddy ball." I watched a game the other night that had seven dads in dugout. The thing is that the kids are playing which makes them better despite the coaching.
You have that in every rec league, and a lot of "travel ball" these days. There are some very good coaches in the SVYL and there are some very bad coaches also.

Watson40
Waterboy

Post by Watson40 »

Fred Flintstone wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 3:22 pm Scioto Valley Youth League is well organized, but let's get real about the coaching. It is "daddy ball." I watched a game the other night that had seven dads in dugout. The thing is that the kids are playing which makes them better despite the coaching.
That is a shame. SVYL used to be best because it wasn't like that as much. At least if you had dad's coaching, they had a measure of success in their life as a player. College or draft or at least high school stand out. But I know that if you have issues with this at svyl it can be taken to the people running the league. At least that's how it was 5 years ago. There is never a reason for 7 fathers in a dugout. That is one I would take to the commissioner. That is what set svyl apart from the city leagues.

They have to remember what it is. It is a competitive league with some talent. But there is always a travel team down any street that will come in and beat the brakes off their all stars. I hope that was a younger team with the dugout full of fathers. They will learn that there is always better ball clubs out there. Sometimes these guys take this way too seriously.

Watson40
Waterboy

Post by Watson40 »

se-alum wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 3:30 pm
You have that in every rec league, and a lot of "travel ball" these days. There are some very good coaches in the SVYL and there are some very bad coaches also.
Exactly! At least you aren't paying 1K to find out that you signed up for the best dressed daddy ball travel team in southern ohio haha.

Return to “Baseball”