Riding the Bench

Lets talk SVC baseball

Post by haha :) »

predictions?

svcbaseballfan
Freshman Team

Re: Lets talk SVC baseball

Post by svcbaseballfan »

I think the top 6 spots could go in any order. This is definatly going to be the most balanced the league has been in years. Last year Westfall had 3 losses and won the league. I think this year the winner may have 4.

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

There will be battles in this league almost every night. Great baseball league.

haha :)
Riding the Bench

Post by haha :) »

idk aboutmanyone else, but im pretty excited

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

I like Adena to win the league this year with coach Yates back at the helm. They only lose two starters from last years team. Adena has its own prospect in Kirk Yates , just a junior that will play at the next level. Should be some good battles between him and Farmer. Auston Hottenger will bat at the top of the order and create havoc on the basepaths with his speed, can also really go get em in centerfield. If Piketon had Blackburn coming back i would pick them to be right there, that kid was a heck of a pitcher hard to believe Farmer is better. Right now i like Adena, Zane Trace and Piketon to battle it out.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Without a doubt the best conference in SE Ohio!

My prediction is:

Westfall : Return a ton of players along with their best pitcher.
Zane Trace: Again, they were young last year, will be even better this year.
Piketon: Best pitcher in the league, however he can only throw every 3-4 days.
SE: I think they only lost their CF from last year, will be a tough out in the league.
Unioto: Not sure what they have back.
Adena: Yes, Adena is picked sixth, but could easily be 2nd.
Huntington: Not much pitching to stay in it.
Paint Valley: Will finish at the bottom. Not sure what they have.

What a tough conference. I am sure there will be many teams moved around my picks as the season goes along. 6th could finish 1st and vice versa!!

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

This league will be tight. A couple of bloopers could be the difference.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

charliehustle- You do know that Unioto and Westfall are still in the league, right?

Westfall won the league and went to the Regionals last year and return their top 2 pitchers and 6 starters. Wolfe went 13-1 last year, with his only loss in the Regional Semi's to Wheelersburg. He went 9-0 in SVC play and was SVC POY.

Unioto finished 3rd(above ZT and Piketon) and returns 7 starters, including all of their pitching.

Southeastern finished 6th last year, but return all but one player, including all of their pitching as well.

Adena, Piketon, and ZT all should be very strong once again, but you might not want to forget those other teams.

dawescpa
Riding the Bench

Post by dawescpa »

rain rain go away. lol

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

Regulator wrote:Without a doubt the best conference in SE Ohio!

My prediction is:

Westfall : Return a ton of players along with their best pitcher.
Zane Trace: Again, they were young last year, will be even better this year.
Piketon: Best pitcher in the league, however he can only throw every 3-4 days.
SE: I think they only lost their CF from last year, will be a tough out in the league.
Unioto: Not sure what they have back.
Adena: Yes, Adena is picked sixth, but could easily be 2nd.
Huntington: Not much pitching to stay in it.
Paint Valley: Will finish at the bottom. Not sure what they have.

What a tough conference. I am sure there will be many teams moved around my picks as the season goes along. 6th could finish 1st and vice versa!!

Oh i thought they had left for the big ten. Unioto has been pretenders more often then not. Westfall has never been a consistent winner in baseball. No way Adena finishes 6th in the league, they haven't finished that low in the last 15 to 20 years.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto has been down the last few seasons, but they return all but one starter from a 3rd place team, so it's not wise to ignore them(and I hope your more times than not comment has been about recent seasons, since Unioto holds the most SVC baseball championships)

You are right though, Adena won't finish 6th and they have a great program, you just shouldn't forget about last year's champs or 3rd place team.

Bowdle, Cottrill, Downs, Farmer, Irvin, Osbourne, Rose, Stonerock, Wolfe, and Yates...wow that's a lot of great pitching in the league, just off the top of my head. I'll bet I'm forgetting a couple more very good arms.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

I didn't realize that about svc championships. I just can't remember any really good teams for them since the Fry kid 15 years ago. There are some good pitchers in this league and i thought the Blackburn kid from piketon was a heck of a pitcher, but i guess he graduated. Let's start playing some baseball!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93-99, I know that Unioto won it, as well as 03, 05, and 06. As well as throughout the 70's and 80's as well.

Westfall dominated the league early on behind Gene Carfrey(Ohio's all time strikeout king) and Greg Bigum. They also have won the league twice in the last 6 years, as well as having 5 trips to the districts in that span(with ZT having 5 as well and only Adena having 6)

The SVC has a nice past of runs to the Final Four as well.
Unioto has 2 trips (83 and 94)
Zane Trace has 1(01)
Piketon has 1(84, I believe)
Paint Valley has the only state championship(95)

Adena has been to the title game 3 times(05, 89, and 88)

Bishop Flaget also reached the state tournament(76) as a member of the SVC

Hopefully this will be another year that a team from the SVC will make a run to Columbus.

Rundown of SVC Champions from http://www.svcsportszone.com/svcbaseballhistory.html

Unioto- 19(pretenders, 4 SVC championships since Nathan Frey graduated in 98)
Adena- 13
Westfall- 11(not a consistent winner)
Paint Valley- 7
Zane Trace- 3
Southeastern- 1
Piketon- 1
Bishop Flaget(3) and Logan Elm(2) are no longer members. While, Huntington has yet to win an SVC title in baseball.
Last edited by danicalifornia on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

I don't think that adena went to the state in 72. that is when i went to school and I don't remember that.
The streaks went in 85. ZT also went in 70, but I don't think they were in the svc yet. All the talk is about pitching which will be good, but there are some serious hitters coming back also.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

crack- I'm just going off the state's website. I thought that they actually went more times then just 4.

Great hitters coming back as well, with many of those pitchers I listed are also some very good hitters as well, but many more coming back as well. Should be an exciting ballgame every night once again this year.

ABB
Waterboy

Post by ABB »

Who is THE most feared hitter in the league now that Bouillion is gone? Who wouldn't pay to see a Farmer-Wolfe match-up? Who all won sectional titles last year?

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

well dani. I graduated from adena in 1973 and have lived in Pike County most of my adult life. That website is wrong because the warriors never went to the state tourney when I was in school there. It must have been some other adena.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

ABB wrote:Who is THE most feared hitter in the league now that Bouillion is gone? Who wouldn't pay to see a Farmer-Wolfe match-up? Who all won sectional titles last year?

I think Kirk Yates from Adena will be a very good offensive player this year, he has hit 5 homers the past two years in a season and is just a junior this year. Hit a homer at va last year in districts that was still hooking as it went well over the 327 marker, an absolute shot. I think he could hit for more average if he used the whole field instead of trying to pull everything. Still a good hitter.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Duane Irvin Huntington is the most dangerous hitter in the league. Shondrick Locklear and Luke Parker from unioto. Yates Adena, cottrill SE, wolf wf and farmer piketon can all swing it well

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Sectional winners last year
Westfall lost to state runner ups Wheelersburg
Piketon lost district semis to burg
Huntington lost district semis to Wellston
Adena lost to Fed Hockin district semis
Zane Trace Lost to Valley.

5 of 8 teams in the district not bad

Thanks Dani
Last edited by bengalfan76 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Baseball”