3 on 3 Whiffleball tourney

barman
Riding the Bench

3 on 3 Whiffleball tourney

Post by barman »

Posted for a friend - a whiffleball tourney in Chillicothe for youth and adults. This website has all the details.

http://www.wowwhiffleball.com

barman
Riding the Bench

Re: 3 on 3 Whiffleball tourney

Post by barman »

Actually a 4 or 5 man whiffleball tournament - according to the website posted.

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

thats what i took from it too

barman
Riding the Bench

Post by barman »

ttt

cavalier11
Riding the Bench

Post by cavalier11 »

in my opinion, this whiffleball tournament could be improved if it harbored the same rules as the annual London whiffleball tournament, just my opinion though

barman
Riding the Bench

Post by barman »

Cavalier, I asked the same thing on the WOWwhiffleball website via email. The sponsor said he wasn't all that impressed with London, although it was alot of fun. No penalty for pitched balls, meaning some batters could be pitched around, some fields only 70' in length with no real fences and really oddly shaped and officials having no idea what was going on.

He said he wanted to provide a little more structured environment, a little more controlled, and will eventually have a tourney using the regulation wiffle balls and yellow bats - but wanted something a little more wide open to start with.

He said when they did the 2nd tourney he would go with most of the London rules, only give walks which resulted in doubles for 6 balls or so, and probably allow pegging at every base except 1st.

We have entered a team and he said we were the 8th team or so in less than 1 week of advertising. As they are only taking 12, if anyone is interested they should go ahead and register !

barman
Riding the Bench

Post by barman »

Just a note on the lighter side ... The place hosting this tourney is on my way home from work. Most weekends they have a crowd of adults and teenagers playing under the lights until late. After getting off at 11 PM I drove past and they were at it - with probably 20 or so playing, with 1/3 adults and the rest teens and kids. I pulled in and stuck around for a little bit and watched them play.

I eventually got out and talked to Jerry and they even let me take a few swings. Oh to be 10 years younger.
This event should be a lot of fun and I volunteered to help by being a ref. The field looks like a golf course and the lights are just cool. Try explaining to your better half you were late home from work cause you stopped to play wiffleball ?!? :lol:

You young folks should try this - sounds like there are sponsors donating prizes, plus the title of best wiffleball team in Ross County at stake !

barman
Riding the Bench

Post by barman »

Just a spot or two left I am told. Hurry if you are interested. We are signed up and ready to go. This should
be a great day of fun. My team is playing Friday night under the lights.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

who in thworld would waste their day being an alltime pitcher?

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

pitching to your own team would be boring realy, in the big time wiffle ball tourneys games are dominated by pitching because they actualy pitch against the other team

barman
Riding the Bench

Post by barman »

No all-time pitcher as I understand it. The pitcher is in the lineup and someone else pitches when he bats. And I have been to several of those "big tournaments". What is most boring is to see endless pitches as people who think they can pitch try to throw strikes with a ball that curves naturally.

Watching grass grow or paint dry is better. Give me hitting anyday - and action in the field. Two things not seen in fast pitch wiffleball tournaments.

barman
Riding the Bench

Post by barman »

By all accounts - a huge success. I watched the Friday night pools under the lights and the players and fans were absolutely wowed by the event. The field (which is absolutely awesome), the sky high press box, the play-by-play with color commentating, the music, the food and the fantastic teams really were something to behold.

It was an awful lot like going to a real pro game, only my wallet stayed intact. I saw amazing play after play, and got all I wanted to eat for less than $5, plus got out of the car, plunked down my comfy lawn chair and enjoyed a couple of crisp nights without having to walk forever or get beer spilled on me.

Congrats to the home team on their thrilling come-from-behind championship - but all the dozen or so teams represented themselves well, as far as I could tell. I especially liked the State Farm sponsor prize tent (each game sponsored by a different business and if you hit the tent - a long home run to left field - you got the
sponsor prizes).

Well done and I can't wait for the next one later in the summer ! Based on what I heard teams saying, that one will be huge. Maybe I dig out my old trusty whiffle bat and swing off the rust.
t

Return to “Baseball”