Riding the Bench

Zanesville at Chillicothe: SEOAL League Championship

Post by cavalier11 »

Thoughts?

bluedevilpride
Riding the Bench

Re: Zanesville at Chillicothe: SEOAL League Championship

Post by bluedevilpride »

Zanesville played Parkersburg South last night and for the first time in a while it looked like they BEAT a team. For weeks it seems like the teams had been beating themselves this one the Blue Devils took charge and owned the moment. I expect a good game with Chillicothe today although not sure why it is @ 2 in the afternoon.

Looking at Chillicothe's results it seems they are a much more offensive minded team then they are defensive. With going undefeated in the league in 11 or 12 games I believe they are averaging 9 runs a game while their opponent is averaging 6 runs. In Zanesville's case the opponents are averaging 3 runs a game while the Devils are averaging 8. We shall see how that equates today at VA stadium.

Good Luck to both teams.......GO BLUE DEVILS!!!

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Any DOC games been rescheduled yet?

baseballfan61
Waterboy

Post by baseballfan61 »

Suspended game... Zanesville 2 - Chillicothe 0 after one inning... to be completed Saturday at 6:00pm at the VA.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Warren at Jackson in the 5th place game will try again on Thursday.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I read this on the softball forum pertaining to Zanesville/Ironton in softball, but it was a good point and pertains here as well.....

What is gained by having Logan drive all the way to Ironton to play a baseball game for "bragging rights" to a seventh place finish in the league? The whole Day of Champions is good in theory, but unless you are playing for the league championship, it's kind of a moot point. I guess with the SEOAL going back to one division after Ironton leaves, there will no longer be a Day of Champions anyways.

I wonder how much that trip from Logan to Ironton will cost after all expenses are accounted for? Now a football matchup is one thing, but baseball is another.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:I read this on the softball forum pertaining to Zanesville/Ironton in softball, but it was a good point and pertains here as well.....

What is gained by having Logan drive all the way to Ironton to play a baseball game for "bragging rights" to a seventh place finish in the league? The whole Day of Champions is good in theory, but unless you are playing for the league championship, it's kind of a moot point. I guess with the SEOAL going back to one division after Ironton leaves, there will no longer be a Day of Champions anyways.

I wonder how much that trip from Logan to Ironton will cost after all expenses are accounted for? Now a football matchup is one thing, but baseball is another.

Not a good point. Football matchup is one thing, but baseball is another!! Are you kidding me? That is what is wrong with this area. Football, Football, Football!! When people start respecting baseball and the amount of athletes it sends to the next level then maybe they will quit writing about this crap.
Now, I believe the DOC could be done a little better. Why not hold the games at a neutral spot? 4 games at the VA? One day of baseball, now that would be sweet. Something I would attend!!

Late 70s Logan grad
Freshman Team

Post by Late 70s Logan grad »

Regulator, your last point makes a lot of sense. Here's what happened: teams didn't want to travel to neutral sites for DOC events.

The one season (2006-07) they did that in basketball, for example, the events were not well-attended even for the championship games — and that even includes one of the best boys basketball games I've ever seen, the Chillicothe-Zanesville OT title game — and the schools would rather play a home game instead.

And it's harder to do in the spring because of the weather problems and scheduling. It would be hard to get four baseball games played in one day. It could be done, for example, by starting around 10 a.m. in Chillicothe VA Stadium, but you're still at the mercy of the weather, which has really screwed up determining the softball DOC matchups this season. And if one early game runs long, it makes for a long, long day.

The DOC was (and still is, IMO), in theory, a good idea due to the travel distances, but with the league after next season settling into seven members — and who, contrary to the naysayers on here, are solidly aligned — it won't be needed and the DOC will likely be a thing of the past in all sports once the league goes down to seven schools.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Regulator, I agree with what you say about baseball. I was not talking about baseball not being as important as football. I know baseball provides college scholarships for students. That's not the point I was trying to get across. I was mearly suggesting that having one school travel three hours for a seventh place game in a sport that does not make money may not be the best decision for a cash strapped school district.

I love baseball. I have been to many more MLB games than NFL games. But I also try to be realistic. High school baseball (and even college baseball) is not a revenue generating sport. The games should be more local when possible. Now if two teams are playing with a league championship on the line, that is fine. But if they are playing for a seventh place finish and one team has to travel three hours just to have the right to play for a seventh place finish - to me, that just doesn't seem logical.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Any results on today's championship game?

bluedevilpride
Riding the Bench

Post by bluedevilpride »

Last I heard it was 6-0 Zanesville in the top of the 6th. I have not heard a final but I would expect the final score to be coming soon. I believe Zanesville pitched 2 sophomores today with the first round of the Tourney being played Monday against Lancaster.

bluedevilpride
Riding the Bench

Post by bluedevilpride »

The final was 10-1 Zanesville. Not sure on the details but they must have played GREAT defense to keep the Cavs high powered offense at bay. Hopefully more details to come.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Congrats to a very deserving team. I've enjoyed watching your style of ball for the past 4 seasons. Goodluck in the tourny.

86cavs
Freshman Team

Post by 86cavs »

Congrats to Zanesville what a great team.Good luck in the tourney run.

chilltown
JV Team

Post by chilltown »

Congrats to Zanesville . This team may be the best team we have faced , especially hearing those were 2 Sophs pitching ..... Trend continues for Cavs ..can't beat quality teams . Not the way you want to head to tourney .. Oh well ... Good luck Zanesville .

baseballfan61
Waterboy

Post by baseballfan61 »

Congrats to Zanesville on a well played ballgame and best of luck in the tournament! Congrats also to the Cavs on a great SEOAL season! No shame in losing a championship game to a quality opponent. Stay patient and positive... those timely hits will come around again!

Chilltown... way to pick the kids up with those words of encouragement. Thankfully these kids are smart enough to make their own assessment of the talent they have played against and know better than to listen to naysayers. They have played a lot of quality baseball against quality teams this season. They just need to focus on the positive and rebound from a couple of less than stellar days. I, for one, believe in these kids and believe they will do it.

GO CAVS!!!!!!

Return to “Baseball”