Sectional Tournament Seeds

Pol pot
SE

Re: Sectional Tournament Seeds

Post by Pol pot »

FannyPack wrote:The new way is only worse because coaches can get away with being lazy. Since it is total points instead of total votes on a line, Zane Trace was able to drop a seed from 2 to 3. Before, if ZT would've had the most votes for the 2 seed, they would have been seeded there. But now, they add the extra 30 (maybe 15 if they drop the lowest?) points and that's how you end up where we're at.

I like it better online, I just hope they figure out a way to police it better or for coaches to not be lazy.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as the number two seed, ZT would get Burg in the Districts, as a three they wouldn't see Burg until a Regional. If ZT would have had the two, someone would be on here complaining about having to play Burg in the District. I'm curious as to what would be a fair and always correct situation for seeding? Because if you want to talk about being outnumbered, that will still happen in open format, just ask Logan how that situation is working out for them as they play in the Central District due to be Division I.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

FannyPack is saying make the online process correct. Make the coaches and schools responsible. Fine them if they don't vote.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

petesweaty wrote:FannyPack is saying make the online process correct. Make the coaches and schools responsible. Fine them if they don't vote.

You can't fine them when you don't agree with their votes, to my understanding every coach submitted a ballot, and confirmation goes to the school.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

FannyPack wrote:
minford17 wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:But, my guesses for the 1 seeds.

D2: Fairfield Union and Jackson
D3: Zane Trace and Wheelersburg
D4: Notre Dame as one of them. Unsure of the split in baseball.

Seeing Alexander, Meigs, and Minford as 1 seeds wouldn't be shocking either. Should be some good baseball coming up if the weather cooperates.
Zane Trace is a good team, but have to give Minford the 1 seed based on the 12 to 4 victory Minford has over Zane Trace earlier in the year. Minford also easily beat Piketon 14 to 0, which I believe Piketon played Zane Trace much closer than that. The SOC2 with Wheelersburg, Minford, Waverly, Valley, West, and South Webster has shown to be a much stronger conference than the SVC.
Compare how one league's 2nd place team does against another league's 7th place team and you'll likely have lopsided games.

West really showed the depth of the SOC over the SVC tonight by losing to a team who finished 1-13 in the SVC. Southeastern (5th place SVC) defeated Oak Hill tonight also. SW also showed the depth of the league tonight as well.

Valley at ZT on Saturday and Unioto at Waverly will have a better chance to show how the league's compare to one another. Huntington at Minford does not.

The SVC has a slim chance to get 6 teams into District play in a "down" year. I'll say that 4 get there, but that will just prove that there's no depth lol
Any doubt now who the stronger conference was. West and South Webster were disappointments, but the top 4 teams in SOC are definitely showing the strength of the conference. Wheelersburg, Minford, and Valley are 3 of the 4 remaining teams left in the Southeastern D3 district, and Waverly has advanced to regional in D2 already. Shame one of the 3 will lose tomorrow night, but it will take another SOC team to eliminate them. Hopefully, it is Minford who advances. Great job by all these 4 teams.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

The SOC 2 was a stronger conference this spring.
My old coach always said though that single elimination baseball is mostly being lucky.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

petesweaty wrote:The SOC 2 was a stronger conference this spring.
My old coach always said though that single elimination baseball is mostly being lucky.
If that's the case then the burg has been one very lucky team for around a decade :lol:

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Maybe they have 10 rabbit foots!
I am sure they have been lucky in the tournament on more than a few occasions in that decade.
When you smash teams, you don't need much luck!

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Being very fundamentally sound puts you in position to take advantage of opportunities which some might describe as luck, and on the other hand it keeps you from being as disadvantaged as it might have been when the opponent has opportunities.

In Waterford's 5-2 district title game win, the only 2 runs scored against them came on plays where batted balls were deflected by inanimate objects. The first run scored on a two out play when a grounder headed just to the SS's left hit the elevated front lip of the mound at Paint Stadium and bounced about 60 degrees left between the SS and 3B. The 2nd run scored on a grounder down the first base line the solidly hit the 1B bag and deflected away from the fielder. I bet you could review maybe all games played in history and not find one where the only 2 runs scored by a team came on inanimate object deflections.

Return to “Baseball”