SE

Re: OVC

Post by LetsGoPSU »

thx for the updates everyone

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Somebody needs to know the rules of baseball. That Ironton-Coal Grove game is an official game. Not suspended. Ironton wins if the line score is right in the article as the game reverts back to six full innings. It amazes me how umpires and coaches don't know the rules of the game.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Here you go Tiger Bait

Ironton 13
Chesapeake 3

Panthers played as bad as the weather. Kudos to Ironton for hitting the ball well. Tigers take over first place in the OVC

ROLL PEAKE
buckeye_25705
Waterboy

Post by buckeye_25705 »

Portsmouth 5
South Point 3

South Point played like they have never been on a field. much better team than that left about 12 runners on made several errors

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

No one's safe in the OVC it looks like. Great baseball conference this year

ROLL PEAKE
hilljack
Freshman Team

Post by hilljack »

Fairland 11
Rock Hill 4

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Fundamental baseball smarts will either win you games or cost you to lose many games you shouldn't have lost....Infield players not being on the same page in bunt situations should never happen.....This should be gone over so many times it's an automatic reaction for each position.... A Coach should be able to call out a number and every infielder should know what base they cover or whether to charge ...just like a pitcher knows if a ground ball is hit to right side of infield he should immediately head to 1st base to cover if needed....I understand everyone will make mistakes but practice practice practice different sceniaro's in bunt situations and this wont happen.........Before every pitch a well coached team should know exactly what their going to do......a 3rd baseman should know if he's charging on a bunt or staying back....a shortstop should know am I covering 3rd on this bunt or am I covering 2nd... a 2nd baseman should know am I covering 1st or 2nd.....All these sceniaro's depend on what bases are occupied.....example: Say there are runners on 1st and 3rd no outs or 1 out and batter turns to bunt..Every player on the infield without thinking should know automatically what his job is........You can do this different ways but the point is if the players don't know your team will lose close games.... In that situation I would have my 3rd baseman charging, my shortstop covering 2nd, I would have 1st baseman charging also with 2nd baseman covering 1st.....You could hold back 1st baseman if u wanted and have pitcher cover right side but then 2nd baseman covers his base and ss goes to cover 3rd just in case......point is if the defense doesn't know what everyone is going to do at this level you wont win many games against good teams....Another thing is not hitting cutoffs... ....Another fundamental baseball play that is learned in minor league but for some reason outfielders have trouble mastering...

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Before every pitch in a baseball game every [layer on the field should know how many outs there are, what bases are occupied ,and what am I going to do if the ball is hit to me......Before every pitch!...this simple rule will save you runs every game.... fundamental sound baseball smarts will win u more games than homeruns......Hate to see teams lose games over simple fundamental baseball mistakes that were taught in little league.....I can handle a strikeout or an error that's going to happen but simple fundamental baseball mental errors have no excuse...... Nobody's perfect but practice and knowing what your job is in different situations not just bunts will keep u in games........

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

I'm not blaming anyone because I don't know what the players were told...All I'm saying is every player on that infield and outfield should know what their job is before every pitch...period! Mistakes are going to happen...Bad decisions will happen, but not knowing what to do is inexcusable at this level........

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Pocket Aces wrote:Looks like last night's CG-IHS game will indeed be finished.

http://www.irontontribune.com/2016/04/0 ... ts-in-7th/

Weather halts Fighting Tigers, Hornets in 7th

Published 3:16am Thursday, April 7, 2016
Comments

Jim Walker

jim.walker@irontontribune.com

COAL GROVE — To be continued…

The game between the Ironton Fighting Tigers and Coal Grove Hornets was too good not to have an ending.

When darkness halted production heading into the bottom of the seventh, the two teams agreed to finish the story on April 22 before their next meeting at Ironton.

The Fighting Tigers were leading the Ohio Valley Conference game 7-6.

“Both teams battled. It’s always fun to play Coal Grove. I enjoy the challenge. They have a good team,” said Ironton coach Larry Goodwin.

Ironton snapped a scoreless tie with a seven-run outburst in the top of the fourth inning.

With one out, Ethan Duncan walked, Kyle Kleinman singled and Chase Rowe was hit by a pitch to load the bases.

Bryce Thomas singled for a run Dane Wilson singled home two runs, Jake Isaac walked and Garrett Carrico singled in a run. Larry Morris capped the rally with a two-run double.

Coal Grove came back to get three runs in the bottom of the inning.

Darren Bloomfield and Jeb Jones singled to put runners on the corner and Bloomfield scored on a throwing error. Cole Gannon walked and Isaac Howard got a two-run double.

The Hornets cut the deficit to 7-6 in the fifth on a three-run homer by Daniel Rutherford after a single by Chase McKnight and a walk to Jacob Clark.

Coal Grove put two more runners on with no outs, but Larry Morris came on to work out of the jam.

Kleinman had a nice defensive play and Morris struck out two batters.

“We are improving. Our bunting and offensive execution is getting there. Kyle Kleinman made a really nice diving grab and Dane Wilson had two nice relay throws to home for outs,” said Goodwin.

Morris was 2-4 with a double and two RBIs and Thomas 2-4 to pace Ironton.

Rutherford went 2-3 with a double, home run and three RBIs. Clark and Jones each went 2-3.

“We hit the ball pretty well, we just have to start making the routine plays in the field. We’re in every game but our defense is hurting us,” said Hornets’ coach Dean Mader.

Ironton hosts Chesapeake on Friday and Coal Grove goes to Gallipolis on Saturday in league games.

Ironton 000 700 0 = 7 8 1

Coal Grove 000 330 z = 6 10 4

Game suspended in bottom of 7th due to darkness

Garrett Carrico, Larry Morris (5) and Bryce Thomas. Daniel Rutherford, Jeb Jones (7) and Jeb Jones, Daniel Rutherford (7). Carrico (IP-4, K-4, BB-4, R-6, ER-6, HBP-1). Morris (IP-2, K-3, BB-1, H-1). Rutherford (IP-6, K-12, BB-3, R-7, ER-7, H-8, HBP-1). Jones (IP-1,K-2, BB-1, HBP-1). Hitting-Ironton: Dane Wilson 1-4 rbi-2, Jake Isaac 1-4, Garrett Carrico 1-4 rbi, Larry Morris 2-4 2B rbi-2, Kyle Kleinman 1-4, Bryce Thomas 2-4; CG: Chase McKnight 1-3, Jacob Clark 2-3 2B, Daniel Rutherford 2-3 2B HR rbi-3, Darren Bloomfield 1-3, Jeb Jones 2-3, Dylan Malone 1-3, Isaac Howard 1-3 2B rbi-2.

- See more at: http://www.irontontribune.com/2016/04/0 ... nYhei.dpuf

that is awesome aces, by ohio rules ironton had already won the game. but glad to see they are takin it to the streets again.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I admire that.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I'm really getting excited about the ovc, and i'll be the 1st to admit, I was dead set against ironton joining. but times have changed. I think it will be a marvelous change with more player participation and fan support.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

It should generate a bunch of money revenue wise for all the league sports.
who knows maybe in a couple of years all the baseball fields may have new shiny night lights.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

sounds like it's wide open to win.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Mrwonderful what team are you referring to?

ROLL PEAKE
Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

Rock Hill 5
Portsmouth 2

THE GOVENOR
All State

Post by THE GOVENOR »

Fairland - 5
Coal Grove - 0

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Ironton 2
South Point 0.......... Dane Wilson pitches a nice 1 hit game for Ironton...Chris Woodard with a nice 2 hit game for SP....Pretty well played game by both teams.....

Return to “Baseball”