OVC

Fonzie
S

Re: OVC

Post by Fonzie »

In my opinion, the Blue Devil's record is deceiving. I see they are 8-2 in league play and something around 11-8 (my guess)...but they are not all that impressive. I have watched them play several games. Here is what I've seen: fielding errors, throwing errors, poor base running, poor hitting, and inconsistent pitching. I will cut the pitching a bit of a break, for the simple reason of they keep throwing the same kids and they have got to be tired. When Gallia faces a team that can take advantage of their blunders, the Blue will fall quick. Needless to say I don't see a tourney run of any kind for the Devils.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Trojans are very inconsistent as well. scoring 12 and taking a loss.....

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

Firebreather wrote:Saw something tonight that I have never seen. As the Fairland - Ironton game was getting ready to start, the Ironton coach said he would not play if the base umpire was calling the game. He said he would pack his team up and go home. 1. Is it legal? 2. Did he just bury himself for the rest of his career? I figure he hurt the Tigers for years to come. News of this will get back to all district umpires.

So did the game get played with a different base umpire or the same or did Ironton pack up and leave?

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

EVERY team in the league is very inconsistent this year. I see no real dominant pitchers and the fielding on all squads is atrocious! Bottom teams are beating top teams, on any given day ANYONE can win a game!

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

I agree osumufan..

Last night Portsmouths coach had a meeting with the home plate umpire saying Chesapeake was stealing their pitching signs. Can anything be done about that or is it up to the coach to change the signs?

ROLL PEAKE
mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Friday score: South Point 11 Rock Hill 0....Saturday Score South Point 5 Oak hill 0......

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

bbn77 wrote:I agree osumufan..

Last night Portsmouths coach had a meeting with the home plate umpire saying Chesapeake was stealing their pitching signs. Can anything be done about that or is it up to the coach to change the signs?

Make better signs.. Or plunk a guy to send a message...

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

bbn77 wrote:Last night Portsmouths coach had a meeting with the home plate umpire saying Chesapeake was stealing their pitching signs. Can anything be done about that or is it up to the coach to change the signs?
Change the codes or have an indicator for the catcher's signal to the pitcher. How about painting the fingernails of the catcher so that the pitcher can see the signs better in order to change the codes or indicator?

Best of luck to the boys in red and blue; however, I am shocked by some of the results this year.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Does anyone have an updated OVC standings order?

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

In my opinion, the Blue Devil's record is deceiving. I see they are 8-2 in league play and something around 11-8 (my guess)...but they are not all that impressive. I have watched them play several games. Here is what I've seen: fielding errors, throwing errors, poor base running, poor hitting, and inconsistent pitching. I will cut the pitching a bit of a break, for the simple reason of they keep throwing the same kids and they have got to be tired. When Gallia faces a team that can take advantage of their blunders, the Blue will fall quick. Needless to say I don't see a tourney run of any kind for the Devils.

I agree with everything Username said except one thing.... The only reason Gallia is leading the OVC is because they are a good hitting team 1-9.......Also their pitching isn't really impressive like I thought it would be........but Blue is a very good hitting team in my opinion....

BleedBlue
Waterboy

Post by BleedBlue »

Oddly enough I am going to disagree with both of you. The blue devils are neither a good nor bad hitting team. I have not seen 1-9 hit in the same game. I have seen 1-4 hit well in a game, I have seen 5-9 hit well in a game, but never in the same game.

The Blue Devil pitching staff is not dominant by any means, however, the staff has kept them in a lot of games when the hitting wasnt there. Overall I think the blue are an average team. As for a tourney run, i could see it going either way. Either they get hot at the right time, or they struggle and get knocked out early.

I do enjoy the unpredictable pattern we have seen from the OVC up to this point, any night any team can win. Thats what i go to games for, I just want to see a good game!

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Ironton 4
Chesapeake 2

Tigers score all four runs in the top of the 7th inning.

ROLL PEAKE
Championship
JV Team

Post by Championship »

South Point 15
Portsmouth 10
Very sloppy played game, errors on both sides ... Give both teams credit though they hit the ball hard all night long

sportsfan2015
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2015 »

Fairland- 3
Rock Hill- 0

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Gallia is a good hitting ball club 1-9...That doesn't mean 1-9 is going to pound the ball for base hits every game.....That means 1-9 pretty much puts the bat on the ball and gives itself a chance......Gallia trouble is the same trouble as other OVC teams...No dominate stud pitcher and shaky defense

THE GOVENOR
All State

Post by THE GOVENOR »

Gallia - 9
Coal Grove - 1

Championship
JV Team

Post by Championship »

I believe this is updated OVC standings correct if I am wrong!

Gallia 9-2
Fairland 7-3
Ironton 6-4
South Point 6-5
Chesapeake 5-6
Portsmouth 5-6
Rock Hill 3-8
Coal Grove 2-8
Last edited by Championship on Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

I was thinking Ironton had lost 4 games at least in OVC

buckeye_25705
Waterboy

Post by buckeye_25705 »

ironton is 6-4 in conference play

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

So did the game get played with a different base umpire or the same or did Ironton pack up and leave? Luckily there was an Ironton Girls softball parent that was an official at the game to watch his daughter play. He did the bases.

Return to “Baseball”