Freshman Team

New coach at Chesapeake

Post by ChessyFan09 »

Any word on who the new coach will be ?

pantherdad
JV Team

Re: New coach at Chesapeake

Post by pantherdad »

All I've heard for sure is that Coach Clark will not be taking the baseball team. There are a couple of gentlemen I've heard want the team...I know one of them personally. One has high school experience, one does not. I believe either gentleman will be a positive for the baseball program. The boys are hungry for good coaching and the team desperately needs some discipline.

Go Peake

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

I totally agree that discipline is needed. A decision needs to be made SOON .Perhaps the two candidates you mentioned could work together since a good assistant is very valuable. One player who was a major distraction has moved away since last year and should make someone's job easier here . Best of luck to whomever the new coach is.

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

I think one assisting the other is a possibility. And yes, fewer distractions this year. The freshman class this year and next year will produce some very solid players that have played All Stars and fall ball together since they were 7. Very respectful group of kids that love the game of baseball.

Go Peake

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

Good to hear that some young talent is coming.There are some juniors and seniors that have hung in there through tough times and are ready for some positive leadership from coaches and some new blood to complement them to have a chance at several wins this year.Why a coach has not yet been named is beyond comprehension . Had this been basketball ," the powers that be" would have not rested until something was done. These boys deserve the same respect to find a suitable leader.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

Coach Clark done a fine job.

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

Coach Clark DID a fine job--- in Football--- We are talking about BASEBALL here. My findings are that Ray Boster has taken the head baseball coaching position . Best of luck to him. Let's hope the school will back him and the players to get off to a good start.

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

ringing7 wrote:Coach Clark DID a fine job--- in Football--- We are talking about BASEBALL here. My findings are that Ray Boster has taken the head baseball coaching position . Best of luck to him. Let's hope the school will back him and the players to get off to a good start.
Yes, with Scott Arthur, Dave Ridenour and one more assistant coach. Very pleased with the outcome. Let's finish basketball strong...then start building that baseball program again.

Go Peake

Tdriver64
Waterboy

Post by Tdriver64 »

Dwight Nida would have been an amazing choice for this job but good luck to the newly named coach!! River baseball should be prominent in the state of Ohio and I hope the new coach can instill that!!

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

Practices have gone well -with a lot of young faces with a mix of the upperclassmen all working hard. As long as basketball lasts-we hope a long time- it will be hard to really see how good things will be.

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

Yeah, its been great for the boys to get work outside this week. The team won't fully gel until wrestling and basketball are officially done. But heck, just seeing boys on the diamond again is a sight for sore eyes. Can't wait for the season to start!

Go Peake!

PEAKE POWER
Freshman Team

Post by PEAKE POWER »

How are the Boys looking? What do they return this year? Are there any young guns to step in and play right away.

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

PEAKE POWER wrote:How are the Boys looking? What do they return this year? Are there any young guns to step in and play right away.
Still a little early to tell. Very basic practices to this point. No pitching, only limited hitting. There are at least a few solid players that haven't been able to practice yet. As far as "young guns"...at least one if not a couple Freshmen will start in my opinion.

Team makeup I believe is 6 seniors, 3 juniors, 4 sophomores and 7 freshmen. A good mix of classes will make up starters and top players off the bench.

Haven't seen the pitching yet, but at least two if not three freshmen will contribute.

Go Peake

ThePeakeInsider
JV Team

Post by ThePeakeInsider »

Can someone post the team schedule for 2012 season-------------THANKS.

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

Haven't seen an official schedule, but I do know that aside from OVC games, the schedule includes home/away games with Symmes Valley, Wayne and Huntington High.

ovcsportsfan
Waterboy

Post by ovcsportsfan »

Losing games to gain future expierence isn't always the right play. Utilize your best players in the present. :122248

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

Tough situation you're talking about here with the options available - though a lot of time some experience is better than none.The older guys haven't had the best coaching in the world in the past - and it shows- but I do think that small ,slow and weak won't win you many games either.Chesapeake's lack of a JV team over the years including this year shows up season after season. Coach Boster would probably tried to have one this year had preparation time before the season permitted.At best two or three of this year's freshmen are very competitive at the varsity level and one is a more realistic number. Hang in there-- it's got to get better.

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

ovcsportsfan wrote:Losing games to gain future expierence isn't always the right play. Utilize your best players in the present. :122248
I'm curious as to who the "best players in the present" are that are not already getting playing time. 5 of 6 seniors are getting playing time and 1 of 3 juniors. There are only two sophomores now on the team. I've seen several practices, and all of the games and scrimmages. The non-freshmen that aren't playing are not an upgrade from the freshmen. So if you are going to win 5 or 6 games, why not win those games with the kids that are building blocks?

By the way, a freshman is leading the team in on base percentage and is at least top 2 in batting average, if not 1st, with only two strikeouts in 9 games. Another freshman has 1 of 2 victories on the mound and four freshmen have pitched. If anything, too much pressure has been put on the freshmen to contribute on this team because of the lack of a strong upper class.

Judge this team at the end of the year and see how it compare to now. Even with starting 4 or 5 freshmen every game, this team has matched its highest win total over the past three years.

Go Peake

poiuy654321
Waterboy

Post by poiuy654321 »

Poor coaching, Daddy ball at its finest. Yes the freshmen have hit decent but how many errors, too many to count. Cost the peake the game at Coal Grove. How many runs have been scored by freshmen errors again Too many to count. This is varsity baseball, not a instructional league put the best players on the field. The freshman are decent but no better then the seniors and have not earned their position, only wanting to teach them for the future. If I was the coach I would be ashamed I was taught to play to win, not play for the future. All I have heard was how poor the coaching was in the past I dont see any improvement and face it the freshmen are not All-Stars, only 1 bright spot. I see the future for Chesapeake as poor pitching, below average batting and always building for the future (at least 3 more years) Until they go coach their kids in collage lol

Return to “Baseball”