Freshman Team

Re: Division II - Southeast District - teams & records

Post by Crazy Legs »

Jackson is 5-9, Rain go away!!

chilltown
JV Team

Post by chilltown »

Not trying to take anything away from Cavs .They have beaten all league opponents in a variety of ways . I was just stating an obvious fact . Cavs really haven't beaten a good team all year and have wilted against good pitchers . They sure can't help that the South is just not that good this year . Also Cavs have lost to Unioto and Westfall . I think the record is a little misleading is all . Cavs surely have the talent to make some noise in Tourney . This will come down to Defense , which is not a strong suit . Cavs bats have really been hot as of late . Only time will tell if bats can makeup for questionable defense and lack of fundamentals (baserunning, cutoff men, etc).

baseballfan61
Waterboy

Post by baseballfan61 »

Chilltown,

I know you are a Cavs fan and just being fair and honest and so am I. I agree with what you are saying in some respect, but for instance, Unioto is a well coached ballclub (that Chilli split with) that has beaten Zane Trace 10-1 this year and lost to Adena 2-1, so for Chilli to lose to them 7-4 is not unreasonable. Westfall is 14-5 with only one non-league loss and did a nice job to come from behind to beat Chilli.

And I don't think we should sell the SEOAL short. There is some good coaching in that league and some tough games played. Gallipolis certainly is no easy win as they are 12-7 with a 5-2 non-league record. And don't think the undefeated team isn't seeing the best the other league teams have on a given day.

Other losses include Circleville who is around 11-6, Grove City who I think is around 16-5, Logan Elm (around 9-6 but beat Chilli on opening day on their way to an 8-0 start), and 2 to Hillsboro who is 10-0. So your are right, Chillicothe does not seem to have any overly impressive wins, but their losses are closely contested to some good ballclubs and I don't think that should be used against them too much in the tournament seeding. As schedules go, this has been a fairly tough one and I think the team has responded well in this string of 9 games (7-2) in 8 days, when a lot of teams are getting rained out, Chillicothe has somehow danced around the rain and played a lot of good baseball in a short period of time. I think that goes to show that they are becoming a more complete team and not relying on one or two arms or bats to save them as in previous years. They have at least 5 pitchers with multiple wins. That is a testament to the whole picture (offense, defense, and pitching) and would have been unheard of at Chillicothe a couple of years ago. It is really nice to see these kids rebound from where this program was four years ago coming off the cancellation of spring sports.

I guess ultimately what I am saying is while some people may feel Chillicothe may not be as good as their records states, I think they may be better than their record states. We will see soon enough. Great group of kids... Best of luck to you guys!!!!

GO CAVS!!!!!

chilltown
JV Team

Post by chilltown »

Definitely a great group of kids who have hung in and are being rewarded . Hopefully they can get a league title Wed. They definitely have the talent to win some games in tourney as I said before . I would like to see us play better defense and cut down on our baserunning errors. Cavs have taken themselves out of big innings w/ bad baserunning ( Westfall game comes to mind ) . I think this team doesn't do the little things to win against good teams . But not having practice field for many years adds to this situation i'm sure ...GO CAVS !!!

baseballfan61
Waterboy

Post by baseballfan61 »

I have to agree. For a team to have accomplished what these kids have so far, without a field to practice on regularly, says a lot about their character. It is hard to imagine where they would be without occasional workouts at the VA (Many thanks to the Paints organization!), but it is also hard to imagine where they may be if they didn't have to workout in a gym on sunny days. You would have to think some of the little things on defense and with baserunning could be improved upon with better practice opportunities. I guess we'll never know for this group... the second set of seniors to graduate without ever playing a single game on their home ballfield.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

When is the tournament draw? Does the North play the South in the Sectional? Will the S.E.O.A.L teams cast votes against Athens for leaving?

Sharpie08
Waterboy

Post by Sharpie08 »

Waverly With 2 big wins in the past 2 days one over Ports. West with Bricker on the hill, And one over Valley last night a very solid program. This Advances Waverly to 17-2 on the season (10-0) in the league

tigersfan88
Varsity

Post by tigersfan88 »

Marietta is 12-6. I think the 2 seed in the south will come down to Athens, Chilli, and Marietta. But prolly more like Marietta and Chilli because Athens plays in the TVC Ohio and there is some weak teams in there (excluding Meigs). But yea hopefully Marietta comes out with a 2 seed.

tigersfan88
Varsity

Post by tigersfan88 »

does anyone know the official seeding yet?

tigernation
Riding the Bench

Post by tigernation »

bulldog0909
Freshman Team

Post by bulldog0909 »

athens a 5 seed?????

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Wow Athens gets a 5 seed? I know Gallipolis beat Athens twice but the bulldogs have a better record.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Athens has to get past Gallipolis and then Waverly. Might not be a sectional championship in the near future.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Better records can or cannot be misleading.

Three of the four teams seeded ahead of Athens (Chillicothe, Marietta and Gallia Academy) are in the SEOAL. The perception is that the SEOAL is stronger and plays a "tougher" schedule, some say much stronger, than the TVC.

The SEOAL is primarily playing fellow D-2 schools while the TVC Ohio, with the exception of Vinton County, Meigs and Athens, is playing four D-3 schools two times apiece. This doesn't work in Athens' favor, or even Meigs' for that matter, come seeding time against the SEOAL schools in that sectional. Warren is a D-2 school in the same sectional in the SEOAL as well.

We know how political all of these things tend to be.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

I figured that would happen.

Return to “Baseball”