Scioto Valley Conference League Race

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Re: Scioto Valley Conference League Race

Post by Sid Farkus »

se-alum wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:37 am
cactus wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:53 pm Great match last night! Unioto was definitely the better team last night, but if they played again it could easily go the other way. Last night, though, I would give Unioto the edge at every position. I thought Unioto's back row passing was definitely better, Unioto's setters are both very quick and never seemed to let anything drop and Unioto's front line was dominant with their blocking at the net. Best of luck to both teams in the tournament! Both should make pretty good runs.
I agree both schools should make runs, but it's always interesting to see how Unioto fares when they are playing schools in their division.
Fared pretty well during the season. 4-0 against D2 teams and 3-0 against D1 teams.

The Tankster
Waterboy

Post by The Tankster »

Bret Wrightsel wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:06 am Great match at Unioto last night. Southeastern struggled at times passing and youth looked nervous ( expected ) in the big game atmosphere but they didn’t quit and grew from the experience. I’m sure Coach Hutton and Tanedo kept it positive for the girls post game as they are both class coaches as is Coach Stulley. First set was all about settling in and SE had too many unforced errors , I counted around 10 between serve, passing and hitting errors. Sets two and three were slugfest with momentum riding to whoever hit 25 first. I felt McGlone took over fourth set with kills and blocks. Fisher steady all night and the rest of the U players did the job that was asked of them. Hope all the fans appreciate the volleyball that has been played in Ross county this season and from all Ross County and Chilli the volleyball has been fun for a very long time! Our area has been blessed with great volleyball 🏐😎
I agree, SE killed themselves in the 1st set. On the way home after the game I heard Coach Hutton on the radio make a similar comment about his youth. Unioto also has a couple of young, inexperienced players with Eldridge (9th) and Pierce (10th) and I thought they handled the big game atmosphere quite well. I think having leaders like McGlone and Fisher helps those younger girls a lot. Ross County and the SVC does have the best volleyball in southern Ohio and that’s why both teams should have good tournament runs.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Both teams return a nice nucleus and will probably be battling for the top spot again. Unioto has had the Panthers number the last few year, (1-7) keeping them from some league titles, wish we could have returned the favor. The coaches and players need to get over this Unioto block and maybe get another title or two in the near future. Time to regroup and make a long tourney run. Best of luck, I will be following both, hopefully to the regionals and beyond. Was an exciting year for SVC volleyball.

cactus
Waterboy

Post by cactus »

Westfall, Adena, Piketon, Southeastern and Huntington were all winners last night. SVC is 5-0 in the tournament so far. Unioto plays tonight and Paint Valley plays tomorrow. Zane Trace received a bye and will not play until Saturday.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Well, we found out one reason why SE got a #3 seed. Oak Hill voted them as a #4, and they got matched up with SE in the first round. SE won easily. Coach Hutton pretty much put them on blast in the Gazette coverage. He obviously wasn't happy about it.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

True that about the blast. In my mind, was totally uncalled for. As a coach you just don't say those things even if that is what you think, especially in the paper.
You have just won a share of the league and are the favorites to win the districts again, enjoy the ride and let your teams play do the talking.

Congrats to the all league selections. Well deserved by all. Looks like the SVC is currently 6-0 in the post season.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

KRS wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:29 pm True that about the blast. In my mind, was totally uncalled for. As a coach you just don't say those things even if that is what you think, especially in the paper.
You have just won a share of the league and are the favorites to win the districts again, enjoy the ride and let your teams play do the talking.

Congrats to the all league selections. Well deserved by all. Looks like the SVC is currently 6-0 in the post season.
I'm surprised he said it, and more surprised the Gazette put it in the article. There has to be some bad history between Hutton and Oak Hill's coach.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

se-alum wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:41 am
KRS wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:29 pm True that about the blast. In my mind, was totally uncalled for. As a coach you just don't say those things even if that is what you think, especially in the paper.

I'm surprised he said it, and more surprised the Gazette put it in the article. There has to be some bad history between Hutton and Oak Hill's coach.

Exactly, say what you want about the coach.They are adults. It was the digs toward the kids and their play I felt was not needed. You should always show respect to your opponent, even if you feel like you are the superior team. I guess I look at it as a teacher, which a coach is. If I have students that struggle with reading I don't call them out about it on morning announcements. I just thought it was uncalled for and was a little disappointed with some of the statements. SE is better than that.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Enjoy the Ride. What comes around goes around!

Coach needs to be a little more humbled in winning and losing.

Oak Hill has a first year coach so couldn't be any bad blood there. Also, while voting maybe the coach thought other teams were more deserving. You have to play the best sooner or later. If you are good, which SE is, they will take care of business whenever they play a team.

Sballbball24/7
Riding the Bench

Post by Sballbball24/7 »

baseball16 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:51 pm Enjoy the Ride. What comes around goes around!

Coach needs to be a little more humbled in winning and losing.

Oak Hill has a first year coach so couldn't be any bad blood there. Also, while voting maybe the coach thought other teams were more deserving. You have to play the best sooner or later. If you are good, which SE is, they will take care of business whenever they play a team.
Definitely no rivalry between the two coaches lol that’s what makes this embarrassing for SE coach, OH coach in first year and 3rd coach in last 3 years and barely older than kids she’s coaching he ought to feel like an idiot beating a 2-18 team and then making fun of them because of where he got seeded...classless

rocket20
Freshman Team

Post by rocket20 »

I don't have a dog in this fight but couldn't help to respond to this classless, embarrassing and utterly pathetic response to a bunch of 15-17 year old GIRLS by a grown a** man. I agree with other posts that yea you can be upset about being a 3 seed if you want but use it as motivation internally and then let your play do the talking..which it obviously did...and then move on and try and prove to everyone that you were the best team. I can't imagine what those oak hill kids feel like after losing as it is and then to have to read statements from a grown man insulting and totally degrading them is just uncalled for in my opinion. Those girls work their a** off just like every other volleyball team around and they may not be as "talented" as another team but that sure as hell doesn't give anybody the right to trash them...especially in the paper and I can't believe they didn't edit it better to not sound so bad. I really hope he looks back on this and realizes he should've handled this way better then he did.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Definitely don't agree w/ or condone what Hutton said.

I will say this though, the Oak Hill coach wasn't looking out for the best interest of her girls when she voted SE the way she did. As a coach, you're responsible for putting your team in the best possible position to win, and it doesn't seem she did that.

rocket20
Freshman Team

Post by rocket20 »

I get that too but at 2-18 your not going to really get a favorable match up anyway. You're going to play a top team no matter what. I know the oak hill coach is young and never coached before(I believe) so therefore never been in this situation so I would maybe just chalk it up to inexperience

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I just can’t believe that quote got put in the article. To say it is bad enough, but to actually think that it was okay to put in there and keep in there too is ridiculous.

Btw, Rock Hill also severely underseeded the Panthers, which I think was actually lower than what OH did.

Falconfan14
Riding the Bench

Post by Falconfan14 »

I don't understand why volleyball and all the sports can't have a system like football when it comes to seeding for tournament. This would eliminate coaches voting for their league teams and their friends to give them favorable seeds and would eliminate coaches voting on teams that you know they have never seen play.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

rocket20 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:05 pm I get that too but at 2-18 your not going to really get a favorable match up anyway. You're going to play a top team no matter what. I know the oak hill coach is young and never coached before(I believe) so therefore never been in this situation so I would maybe just chalk it up to inexperience
Best chance doesn't necessarily mean good chance.

Ultimately the seed doesn't matter much, if you're the best team, you'll be fine. The biggest part is feeling disrespected. When you have a season like SE did, and don't get the respect you deserve, you get a little salty. It's human nature.

Fireball8
Waterboy

Post by Fireball8 »

The OH team coach now understands the reprucussions of not doing the homework on teams, players, & coaches.

Part of SE success is having a passionate coach to winning...not just making people happy.

Happy time is over...it’s time to win and the OH coach should understand the SHE put her kids in the way of a passionate coach.

Not sure if Hutton regrets saying it, but I understand his remarks somewhat. Pointing that the coach from OH did not do a better job preparing for high school tournament. Not necessarily pointing out the kids as the target of his comments.

Just my opinion.

rocket20
Freshman Team

Post by rocket20 »

I agree that the coaches shouldn't be voting. I don't have a problem with him feeling disrespected about the seed or if he wanted to make a comment saying he felt that way about the oak hill coach voting them low. I also understand he's passionate about winning as coaches should be but win with a little class and just move on and prove yourself on the court is all I'm saying. I never said anything about him having to make people happy either. Let's change the context and take sports out of it. You have a 16-17 year old daughter and you send her to the store. She calls you and says there is a grown man down here dogging the poop out of me. Embarrassing me in front of everyone. Would you tell her to just suck it up? Just tell her oh that guy is really passionate about getting a good deal. He loves him some coupons. Just stand back and take it. Or would you be down there in a heartbeat ready to throws hands and defend her? So like I have stated I didn't have a problem with making a comment about feeling it was too low of a seed. Oak hill coach is grown and can defend herself. Just crazy to me that he went after the kids. Just my opinion.

Oakhead
Waterboy

Post by Oakhead »

Does the coach from Southeastern teach at the school? If so, I’m surprised a teacher would make those kinds of comments about kids.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Fireball8 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:31 am The OH team coach now understands the reprucussions of not doing the homework on teams, players, & coaches.

Part of SE success is having a passionate coach to winning...not just making people happy.

Happy time is over...it’s time to win and the OH coach should understand the SHE put her kids in the way of a passionate coach.

Not sure if Hutton regrets saying it, but I understand his remarks somewhat. Pointing that the coach from OH did not do a better job preparing for high school tournament. Not necessarily pointing out the kids as the target of his comments.

Just my opinion.
There is a fine line between being passionate and arrogant, to me those comments come off as the latter. Hopefully it was just a one time lapse of judgement and speaking in the moment. I am sure he realizes it was a mistake and regrets it. No one denies the commitment Coach Hutton has and he has done an excellent job improving the program the last few years. He was the right hire to take over a district runner up team and continues to build off that early success, he has done just that, they Keep improving and Hopefully it continues the rest of this season and into the next few years.
time to move on, prepare for the finals tomorrow and keep rolling along.
Last edited by KRS on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Volleyball”