Competitive Balance

4thgoal
SEOPS

Competitive Balance

Post by 4thgoal »

What are everyone's thoughts on the competitive balance multiplier that will go into effect next year? With a high multiplier of 6 for soccer (since there are only 3 divisions), a team could have a large jump in enrollment if they have several open enrollment players.

An example: If a team has 3 players who live outside the district and began open enrollment their freshman year, they would be considered tier 2 and would result in an enrollment increase of 12 per player and 36 would be added to the enrollment count. If those same three players had began at the district in 7th grade, they would be tier 1 and 18 would be added to the enrollment count.

I am guessing most teams will have at least 1-2 players who fall into one of these categories.

Tower
JV Team

Re: Competitive Balance

Post by Tower »

I don't think it will effect soccer as much as it will football and basketball. In the long run, it will be good for all sports. Parents will have to decide early when to transfer for sports. This will allow kids in junior high to get more, much needed, playing time.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Based on the current numbers, I did a quick scan of the SE district schools and below are the schools that I could see possibly moving up a division IF the breakdown of divisions stays close to the same.

Alexander B - 171 G - 169
Chillicothe B - 328 G - 323
Fairland B - 182 G - 160
Minford B - 175 G - 142
Northwest B - 157 G - 168
Portsmouth West B - 184 G - 160
South Point B - 178 G - 170

The current D2 range for boys is 178-341 and for girls is 174-329.

4dakids
Waterboy

Post by 4dakids »

I really think that people are getting alarmed for no reason ...the OHSAA will slide the numbers to keep x amount of teams in the division so the balance out ... you could see movement of a few teams but all the teams will move a little it was just a method to make people think they could actually do something about the number of open enrolled players in each school.

Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

4thgoal wrote:Based on the current numbers, I did a quick scan of the SE district schools and below are the schools that I could see possibly moving up a division IF the breakdown of divisions stays close to the same.

Alexander B - 171 G - 169
Chillicothe B - 328 G - 323
Fairland B - 182 G - 160
Minford B - 175 G - 142
Northwest B - 157 G - 168
Portsmouth West B - 184 G - 160
South Point B - 178 G - 170

The current D2 range for boys is 178-341 and for girls is 174-329.
Whelersburg B - 147. G - 163
The girls have one girl I know of that lives outside district, so if nothing changes they will be Div 2 next year? Another question, how are they taking in consideration of teams that are coed. If a girl transfers in does it increase boys enrollment. Or, if girl moves in and would rather play on boys team will that effect anything?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

That is a good question about coed teams. I have no idea what the correct answer would be, but I would assume girls who live outside the district or did not continuously attend since 7th grade would be an addition to the boys enrollment for soccer only. Of course these changes are sport specific, so that would not affect any boys sports outside of soccer.

As far as Wheelerburg's enrollment, the classes coming through now are smaller than the classes used in the last count. I expect the base number of 163 girls to be about 10% lower than before.

Soccerfan1
Freshman Team

Post by Soccerfan1 »

But what happens to the Catholic or Private schools? Some start in 9th grade! Most of them do not have district lines! How do we count those students?

I for one know of a child that moved in because a change of custody... From another state.... and went to the same school that his parent was teaching in at the time. What tier would that student be in?

With little schools, there would still be little to no change in numbers... example, a Catholic H.S. has around 100 total students (both boys and girls) how do you count each student in a school like that? Where their parents choose to send them from local public schools (that are failing on the state report cards or have a track record of not graduating a lot of students) or their feeder schools in three different counties?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

This gives an explanation about feeder schools for private schools and the guidelines for them
http://www.ohsaa.org/members/FeederSchoolList.pdf

Soccerfan1
Freshman Team

Post by Soccerfan1 »

4thgoal wrote:This gives an explanation about feeder schools for private schools and the guidelines for them
http://www.ohsaa.org/members/FeederSchoolList.pdf

So if a Catholic School, like Bishop Rosecrans (Zanesville), has feeder schools from Guernsey County, Perry County, and of course Muskingum County... How does that work? Bishop Rosecrans is a private Catholic school that has students from several different Catholic middle schools and some parents as I stated earlier choose BRHS over the public school for different reasons. BRHS is a 9-12 grade school, so how do you count those students that start 9th grade on the first day here?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I think this is how it would play out for BR for example, if a student didn't attend their feeder school, but lives within the district map of the feeder school they would be tier 1. If living outside that district map and did not attend the feeder school, they would be tier 2.

Soccerfan1
Freshman Team

Post by Soccerfan1 »

4thgoal wrote:I think this is how it would play out for BR for example, if a student didn't attend their feeder school, but lives within the district map of the feeder school they would be tier 1. If living outside that district map and did not attend the feeder school, they would be tier 2.

So a majority of children at BR would be teir 2 because they dont live in Zanesville?

there are four Catholic feeders from three counties that fed into BR... but only one of them in in Zanesville.

So would each student from the other 3 be worth 6 of the local students?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Soccerfan1 wrote:
4thgoal wrote:I think this is how it would play out for BR for example, if a student didn't attend their feeder school, but lives within the district map of the feeder school they would be tier 1. If living outside that district map and did not attend the feeder school, they would be tier 2.

So a majority of children at BR would be teir 2 because they dont live in Zanesville?

there are four Catholic feeders from three counties that fed into BR... but only one of them in in Zanesville.

So would each student from the other 3 be worth 6 of the local students?
Each player on the roster who lives outside the area and did not attend a designated feeder school would be 12 and if they did attend a feeder school, it would be 6.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Just gonna be honest, this confuses the hell out of me.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

you have this all wrong people
here is how it is determined:
Tier 0 is 1x0=0
Tier 1 is 1x1=1
Tier 2 is as follows
football 1x2=2
volleyball,basketball,baseball,sofball 1x5=5
soccer 1x6=6

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

So a tier 1 or 2 for soccer are both 6? The multiplier for soccer is 6 which I thought meant that a tier 1 is 6 and tier 2 is 12.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

nope tier 1 is multiplied by 1 in every sport the only tier that changes by sport is tier2 and it is how I showed above

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I didn't think it was as drastic as had been said, but I also dont understand it nearly enough to make an argument either way. I hope the way Blitz is saying is how it will be.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

I will try to do an easy example

lets call this school the Blitz Blitzers our school has 100 boys 9-11
we turn in our soccer roster with every kid that plays soccer 9-12 (very important ALL soccer not just varsity)
each kid (on the rosters) gets a tier applied to them
we have 30 kids that play soccer
23 of them live in the district (at least 1 parent/guardian) they are tier 0 so 23x0=0
5 of them are open enrollment but have been blitzers since the 7th grade they are tier 1 so 5x1=5
2 of them are open enrolled but became blitzers after the 7th grade they are tier 2 so 2x6=12

here is how the math works:
100 boys + 5 tier1 + 12 tier2 = 117 new count for the Blitzers

Hope this helps! you can get a copy of the tier worksheet at OHSAA website

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Thanks for the example. A good question was brought up earlier about girls on a boys team. I would assume that if a school would have tier 1/2 girls on a coed team, that enrollment addition would just go onto the boys count, since a coed team is considered a boys team?

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

a girl would first count towards the girl enrollment count for all sports then her tier count go towards whatever sport roster she is on

Return to “Soccer”