Which teams could pull off the early upset in sectionals?

LadyHoopsFan
Waterboy

Which teams could pull off the early upset in sectionals?

Post by LadyHoopsFan »

With the tournament draws released, are there a few teams middle of pack who might be able to pull off a sectional upset? Which teams do we keep an eye on?

Ed Ott
Varsity

Re: Which teams could pull off the early upset in sectionals?

Post by Ed Ott »

Peebles is the #2???? Minford is the #6

Minford by 12

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

Peyton johnson is a beast. If you haven’t seen her play, it’s worth the price of admission

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Elijah Craig wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:47 pm Peyton johnson is a beast. If you haven’t seen her play, it’s worth the price of admission
100% agree and a tremendous kid

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Minford and Peebles couldn’t play until the Regional semis.

Olebud
Waterboy

Post by Olebud »

Elijah Craig wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:47 pm Peyton johnson is a beast. If you haven’t seen her play, it’s worth the price of admission
West looked to have her in check tn. Prby both teams played a lil
Rocky, my first time watching Peebles. But I know west was a lil slow to get started

Thebabybull
Freshman Team

Post by Thebabybull »

North Adams beat Minford tonight so it looks like the #5 & #6 is right.

Fatdog
Riding the Bench

Post by Fatdog »

Kind of surprised Unioto with the 4 seed with the non conference schedule they played. They D2 District shoukd be fun.

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

Olebud wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:09 pm
West looked to have her in check tn. Prby both teams played a lil
Rocky, my first time watching Peebles. But I know west was a lil slow to get started
I think I saw were she had 18
I’m not sure that’s keeping her in check. I’d say it’s about her avg

Thebabybull
Freshman Team

Post by Thebabybull »

Holding her to 18 is good since she averages 23.

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

Thebabybull wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:21 pm Holding her to 18 is good since she averages 23.
I stand corrected. Holding to 17 (6 under her avg) is a good night defensively

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Elijah Craig wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:16 pm
Thebabybull wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:21 pm Holding her to 18 is good since she averages 23.
I've never seen her miss that many foul shots. West played well. Peebles had won 14 strait heading into this tilt. Great game for both squads heading into the tournament. North Adams beat Minford Monday so leagues are pretty even I just wonder why West doesn't play full reserve games. They had enough girls

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Hoopie74 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:12 pm
I've never seen her miss that many foul shots. West played well. Peebles had won 14 strait heading into this tilt. Great game for both squads heading into the tournament. North Adams beat Minford Monday so leagues are pretty even I just wonder why West doesn't play full reserve games. They had enough girls
Last game I was at, two of the 6 JV players played in all 4 varsity quarters and 1 started.

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

It’s been a while since anyone has played a full (4qtrs) game schedule in girls basketball. I think it hurts the development of a PROGRAM. What I mean is the kids that actually want to play, that put time in to get better in the off season. Rosters are suffering from lack of players and talent for that matter.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Teams in our league,I believe all field varsity and reserve.Its sad that kids won't play anymore. Maybe get away from travel all and get more kids involved in the great high school game. Maybe they won't get burned out that way.win or lose it's an amazing game. Play as many kids as you can. Very few will be collegiate athletes. Build some school spirit and friendships

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

Hoopie74 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:22 pm Teams in our league,I believe all field varsity and reserve.Its sad that kids won't play anymore. Maybe get away from travel all and get more kids involved in the great high school game. Maybe they won't get burned out that way.win or lose it's an amazing game. Play as many kids as you can. Very few will be collegiate athletes. Build some school spirit and friendships
Agreed. Travel ball isn’t for everyone, and now it’s watered down. It’s a good vehicle for getting looks from colleges, but like you said, those that play at the next level are few and far between.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Elijah Craig wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:24 am
Hoopie74 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:22 pm Teams in our league,I believe all field varsity and reserve.Its sad that kids won't play anymore. Maybe get away from travel all and get more kids involved in the great high school game. Maybe they won't get burned out that way.win or lose it's an amazing game. Play as many kids as you can. Very few will be collegiate athletes. Build some school spirit and friendships
Agreed. Travel ball isn’t for everyone, and now it’s watered down. It’s a good vehicle for getting looks from colleges, but like you said, those that play at the next level are few and far between.
I love high school sports as they are by and large community endeavors. Team and school spirit and community backing is a beautiful thing.
The beauty of the upcoming tournaments is that a team can overcome the long season and put it all together at the right time and do great things. Some teams are just getting back teammates who were out most of the year due to injuries or other factors. Other teams are losing some key players due to the same factors. Some upsets will happen in the next few weeks which makes this time of the year so exciting. Bring on the tournament and the school pride. Safe travels everyone.

SportsGrandDad
Waterboy

Post by SportsGrandDad »

You're all correct - building a sustainable deep program is key. Coach K with the Athens Bulldogs is a prime example of this.

It might be a year early because of all of the underclassmen, but don't be surprised if the Dogs make a really deep run in the tournament this year. The turnaround that Koska has done with that program is amazing,

Olebud
Waterboy

Post by Olebud »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:41 pm

Last game I was at, two of the 6 JV players played in all 4 varsity quarters and 1 started.
Yea that is correct, usually 3 of the jv play a lot in varsity. 2 most of the time 4 QTs

Olebud
Waterboy

Post by Olebud »

Watching the game it didn’t feel she had that many. Not talking bad, you can definitely tell she is a great player. Great test for both squads heading to tournaments.

Return to “Girls Basketball”