Which teams could pull off the early upset in sectionals?

Olebud
Waterboy

Re: Which teams could pull off the early upset in sectionals?

Post by Olebud »

Elijah Craig wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:16 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:12 pm
Elijah Craig wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:16 pm

I stand corrected. Holding to 17 (6 under her avg) is a good night defensively
I've never seen her miss that many foul shots. West played well. Peebles had won 14 strait heading into this tilt. Great game for both squads heading into the tournament. North Adams beat Minford Monday so leagues are pretty even I just wonder why West doesn't play full reserve games. They had enough girls
It’s been a while since anyone has played a full (4qtrs) game schedule in girls basketball. I think it hurts the development of a PROGRAM. What I mean is the kids that actually want to play, that put time in to get better in the off season. Rosters are suffering from lack of players and talent for that matter.
I agree, by playing Jv schedule if you have the numbers will definitely boost the program. I try my best to get west girls out to play all the time. Sad thing is, numbers are down. I guess kids lose interest. But it sucks for the ones that don’t get the varsity time.

LadyHoopsFan
Waterboy

Re: Which teams could pull off the early upset in sectionals?

Post by LadyHoopsFan »

I’m going to throw 3 teams to be on the “upset watch list” in D3 sectionals.

They are:
1. Huntington- well coached; great length and size; multiple upperclassmen. 3rd in SVC (4 of 6 losses to league opponents Unioto and Adena, which are VERY good). Ali Baker and Emma Hinshaw are quite a pair along with a good post presence.

2.Coal Grove- good guards and very scrappy. Play in a tough league and have some past tournament experience. They will get by ZT and will not back down from Minford. I look for them to be a hard out. Question is, can they handle size of Minford.

3. Piketon- This team is young. They lost key returning player to injury early, but still won 10 games anyways and managed to go .500 and finish 4th outright in SVC—led by super frosh PG Laila Kelley and senior post Laney Brown. Don’t let the record fool you. (They have 6 losses to D2 schools, of which are 3 conference champs and then Adena (2), Huntington(2), Portsmouth West (1), and a split with Southeastern. They are battle tested.

Girls basketball in SE Ohio is very good and will only get better! Looking forward and hope to see someone from SE Ohio back in the big dance! Wishing all the teams a healthy and great tournament run.

Return to “Girls Basketball”